PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing Race

ChaosStar
2021-04-26, 09:35 PM
Okay so I got another idea for a character. Eldritch Knight/Bladesinger. I've narrowed it down to 3 races, all of which will get me to triple 16s from my rolls. Warforged, Fire Genasi, or Hobgoblin. I could go with any of them, but I'm wondering which you guys think would make the most interesting. Haven't decided on background either, but that's for after choosing the Race.

LudicSavant
2021-04-26, 09:40 PM
Okay so I got another idea for a character. Eldritch Knight/Bladesinger. I've narrowed it down to 3 races, all of which will get me to triple 16s from my rolls. Warforged, Fire Genasi, or Hobgoblin. I could go with any of them, but I'm wondering which you guys think would make the most interesting. Haven't decided on background either, but that's for after choosing the Race.

Flavorwise I like all 3 of those races. I don't think any of those races have a notable "interesting-ness" advantage over each other -- a well-written backstory/personality/etc can make any of them shine.

Optimization-wise, Fire Genasi is easily the weakest (they're basically a nerfed Tiefling). Hobgoblin is less beneficial than usual since you already have the armor + weapon proficiencies, but it's still solid (because Save Face is super good). Warforged is a solid race for basically any class, and this is no exception.

strangebloke
2021-04-26, 10:43 PM
I pretty much agree with Ludic completely here. Warforged is probably the 'best' from an optimization perspective, though there are other options you could consider that are equally good.

As for flavor that really comes down to the setting. Hobgoblins are always-evil in some settings, warforged are off-limits in others. I'd personally prefer the warforged just because they're fun.

As for alternate options.... all you need is +2/+1 to Dex, Int, or Con, right? Half elves, vHumans, Drow, goblins, lightfoot halflings, The SCAG variant tieflings, and most gnomes work. There are lots of pros and cons to consider but half elves are probably as good as warforged here.

ChaosStar
2021-04-26, 10:55 PM
As for alternate options.... all you need is +2/+1 to Dex, Int, or Con, right? Half elves, vHumans, Drow, goblins, lightfoot halflings, The SCAG variant tieflings, and most gnomes work. There are lots of pros and cons to consider but half elves are probably as good as warforged here.

True, but I dislike using the common races. I prefer the Exotic and Monstrous ones. Though you're right about Goblin, I missed that one. I use 5Ewikidot's distinctions regarding races and the Eberron races are in their own section.

quindraco
2021-04-27, 07:14 AM

Are you guys not playing with Tasha's rules for letting you assign stats as you want? All new races post-Tasha's will have assignable points written into them, so it's a losing battle trying to avoid it. Tasha's rules for reassigning proficiencies also matters, for the Hobgoblin.

Of those three, Warforged is the one I'd enjoy the most, I can tell you. I love playing a species that doesn't eat, drink, breathe, or technically sleep (you still need a long rest, but you're conscious during it).

Draconi Redfir
2021-04-27, 07:50 AM
as someone playing a Hobgoblin in a campaign, I vote for Hobgoblin. They're like Goblins, but in human form. And more organized and semi-warlike. All the benefits of playing a human but with juuust enough of a twist to make things interesting.

stoutstien
2021-04-27, 07:55 AM
Warforged for passive perks and hobgoblin for a very nice oh crap button. I'd vote hobgoblin just because it's one of my favorite options but I couldn't give you a real reason past DV.

Joe the Rat
2021-04-27, 08:08 AM
True, but I dislike using the common races. I prefer the Exotic and Monstrous ones. Though you're right about Goblin, I missed that one. I use 5Ewikidot's distinctions regarding races and the Eberron races are in their own section.

If tieflings are common, then you have a very interesting setting.

I would lean to Hob and Genasi here from a character standpoint. EK/BS rides the line between Warlord and Devastator, an interesting role in the Legions. The other upside here is it would let you start Wizard if you reaaaaallly want to cast from day one.
On the other hand, Fire Gen does give you a level one fighter-caster, but otherwise bring less unique tools to the table (fire resistance, darkvision, a ready source of light if you get bored with darkvision, but hey, no firestarters needed). If the DM is amenable to flexing on the racial spell rules and letting you get extra castings of Burning Hands with spell slots, or if you can swap your cantrip and/or daily options it becomes a wee bit better. I rather like create bonfire (confire?) as an alternate combat-and-also-utility firestarter.

ChaosStar
2021-04-27, 09:15 AM
If tieflings are common, then you have a very interesting setting.

I would lean to Hob and Genasi here from a character standpoint. EK/BS rides the line between Warlord and Devastator, an interesting role in the Legions. The other upside here is it would let you start Wizard if you reaaaaallly want to cast from day one.
On the other hand, Fire Gen does give you a level one fighter-caster, but otherwise bring less unique tools to the table (fire resistance, darkvision, a ready source of light if you get bored with darkvision, but hey, no firestarters needed). If the DM is amenable to flexing on the racial spell rules and letting you get extra castings of Burning Hands with spell slots, or if you can swap your cantrip and/or daily options it becomes a wee bit better. I rather like create bonfire (confire?) as an alternate combat-and-also-utility firestarter.

Like I said, the 5Ewikidot lists Tieflings as common, most likely due to them being a PHB race. Don't actually have a group set up for 5e, just like making characters. I've got like ~15 3.5 characters, only one being used in a campaign currently. Anyways, I finally decided on Warforged for the race. All that's left now is to figure out what to use the ASI/Feat slots for. EK 12/BS 8 gives 6 slots.

Seekergeek
2021-04-27, 10:10 AM
If Unearthed Arcana is on the table for your group, you might want to take a peek at the Hobgoblin of the Feywild as an option. Flavour fits the feyish/elvish flavour of the bladesinger's traditional neich and it's less redundant than the published version for the 'singer insofar as proficancies go.

ChaosStar
2021-04-27, 10:28 AM
If Unearthed Arcana is on the table for your group, you might want to take a peek at the Hobgoblin of the Feywild as an option. Flavor fits the feyish/elvish flavor of the bladesinger's traditional niche and it's less redundant than the published version for the 'singer insofar as proficiencies go.

I never assume UA, as that's playtest material. I also don't assume optional features, due to no guarantee that they would be allowed.

strangebloke
2021-04-27, 10:50 AM
Like I said, the 5Ewikidot lists Tieflings as common, most likely due to them being a PHB race. Don't actually have a group set up for 5e, just like making characters. I've got like ~15 3.5 characters, only one being used in a campaign currently. Anyways, I finally decided on Warforged for the race. All that's left now is to figure out what to use the ASI/Feat slots for. EK 12/BS 8 gives 6 slots.

EK/Bladesinger is usually going to be dexterity focused, so just grab sharpshooter, two ASIs, Lucky, and warcaster and I think you're about good. Or skip Sharpshooter, that's fine too.

ChaosStar
2021-04-27, 10:58 AM
EK/Bladesinger is usually going to be dexterity focused, so just grab sharpshooter, two ASIs, Lucky, and warcaster and I think you're about good.

Why would I be choosing Sharpshooter since I'm going into melee? Also I have never chosen Lucky before, as I have always had something else in mind. Feats I've been thinking on are Mage Slayer, War Caster, and Tough. 3 ASIs gives me +4 to Intelligence and +2 to Dexterity.