PDA

View Full Version : How many skill points for a 1st level 1/2-celestial for being an "outsider"?

eyebreaker7
2021-04-26, 10:13 PM
How many HD does a 1st level barbarian/wizard (Gestalt Character) 1/2-celestial elf have for determining the skill points it gets for being an "outsider"?
Does it just get 1 level of outsider skill points? Or does the LA +4 give it a total of 5 levels of skill points?

Skills
A half-celestial gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier) × (HD +3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the half-celestial gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class.

Level Adjustment
Same as base creature +4.

Zanos
2021-04-26, 10:16 PM
You only use that for advancing by Racial Hit Dice. You only have class levels, so you use the normal rules for a gestalt character and take the better of your two classes at each level. In this case (4+int mod)*4 from your barbarian level.

eyebreaker7
2021-04-26, 10:40 PM
How would you advance racial HD? Would it be like adding the half-celestial template to another creature like a bugbear or something that has more than 1 HD to start off of? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Drelua
2021-04-26, 10:48 PM
How would you advance racial HD? Would it be like adding the half-celestial template to another creature like a bugbear or something that has more than 1 HD to start off of? Or am I misunderstanding you?

In this case, you can't. That's more for if you're changing the type of a monster, for someone whose HD all come from class levels the type change doesn't really do much except make certain spells, like hold person or enlarge person, not able to work on you because you're no longer a humanoid, type-wise. For you, the template has zero effect on how many skill points you get, unless it changes your INT.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-04-26, 10:49 PM
How would you advance racial HD? Would it be like adding the half-celestial template to another creature like a bugbear or something that has more than 1 HD to start off of? Or am I misunderstanding you?You'd have to take a template or a racial class progression (such as a savage progression or lycanthropy -- which grants animal HD) or a PrC that grants racial HD (which I don't know any of, off the top of my head). I don't think you can just take "humanoid HD" or "outsider HD" or whatever if you're not of a race that can progress through HD. If you started off as a playable race that can do so, such as a baby dragon, you can take racial HD to progress or class levels to progress.

But a half-celestial doesn't progress via racial HD; it progresses via class levels, just like regular humans and humans-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off (basically everything else in the PHB).

One Step Two
2021-04-26, 10:52 PM

To use your example, a Bugbear (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bugbear.htm) with the Half-celestial template (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfCelestial.htm) has it's Humanoid HD become effectively Outsider HD, gaining the skills, saves and other benefits as outlined in the template. However the bugbear does not advance via Racial HD (RHD), but by character class.

A Half-elf and other 1 HD creatures have their Racial Hit Dice replaced with class levels, and do not receive any benefit of what Outsider HD would grant, but they do get the benefits of the Outsider Type, the special attacks, and other special qualities. The template itself specifically calls out:
"Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the half-celestial gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels."

eyebreaker7
2021-04-26, 11:06 PM
"Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the half-celestial gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels."

This is where I am confused, in my example of a bugbear they start with 3 HD. So if I added a template wouldn't it count those 3 HD as racial not class and therefore give the skill points for a 3 HD creature? If it doesn't work that way can someone please give me an example?

One Step Two
2021-04-26, 11:20 PM
This is where I am confused, in my example of a bugbear they start with 3 HD. So if I added a template wouldn't it count those 3 HD as racial not class and therefore give the skill points for a 3 HD creature? If it doesn't work that way can someone please give me an example?

A Bugbear Starts with 3 Humanoid (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#humanoidType) Racial hit dice. As per the instructions of the Half-Celestial Template, the HD type, Saves and BAB do not change, however, the usual 2+int skill points are replaced with 8+Int skill points for those 3 HD.
If you had a Bugbear with 2 Fighter levels, it would have Outsider Skills for it's 3 Racial HD, but only 2+int for the two Fighter levels.