PDA

View Full Version : Contact Other Plane Combo

ATHATH
2021-04-27, 01:37 AM
A level 9+ Wizard with a 20 in INT who is standing next to a level 6+ Paladin with a 20 in CHA cannot fail the DC 15 INT saving throw vs. going insane caused by casting Contact Other Plane, even if they a 1, unless some outside factor like a casting of Bane intervenes. This means that that Wizard can safely ritual cast Contact Other Plane repeatedly/as much as they want, receiving single word (or short phrase) answers from powerful beings to 5 questions every 11 minutes (that they're awake/casting for, anyway).

I, uh, don't really have a point to make with this post, but maybe it'll give someone inspiration for something. An NPC oracle duo, perhaps?

Eldariel
2021-04-27, 06:05 AM
It's insanely powerful, though of course there are solid limitations in place in the spell nowadays to prevent it from being too easy to abuse (based on the knowledge of the entity). Still, getting otherworldly knowledge up to 5 times per hour means you get to ask 25 questions an hour, 400+ (435 with constant casting) in a day with an 8 hour rest should let you basically map anything your poor entity knows.

Conveniently this is also something Diviners excel at, being able to Portent/day ensure they won't go nuts. Not spammable but still convenient. Lucky and Chronurgist also work great to this end, if there's no convenient Pally available. And Bless. Indeed, with Bless and +9 base you can expect to make 5 saves before failing once: if you have lucky you can do ~15 pretty reasonably for 75 questions. Again, nowhere near Pallyzard combo that has 0% fail chance and works to the end of time but not bad.

Catullus64
2021-04-27, 10:21 AM
For NPC use, I wouldn't really bother. The NPC diviner casts the spell. If I as the DM want them to go insane, they do, and if I don't, they don't. The paladin doesn't really add anything, though the broader concept of a diviner and a knight who helps maintain his/her sanity is a cool setup.

On the PC end, this is the sort of thing that would rub me the wrong way if my players attempted it. The spell is clearly set up so that there is danger and drama behind an otherwise extremely potent and problem-solving effect. Trying to circumvent that with class feature combos just seems petty and against the spirit of the game.

To curb this idea, I will point out that the spirit, demigod, or extraplanar entity who you keep bugging with this spell might start to get annoyed, and seek retaliation outside the scope of the spell description itself. Drawing the attention of powerful beings is not always wise.

ATHATH
2021-04-27, 01:06 PM
To curb this idea, I will point out that the spirit, demigod, or extraplanar entity who you keep bugging with this spell might start to get annoyed, and seek retaliation outside the scope of the spell description itself. Drawing the attention of powerful beings is not always wise.
"Hey, hey Asmodeus, is-" *giggle* "Is your refridgerator running?" *barely suppressed guffawing*