PDA

View Full Version : Does resistance to cold 10 protect you from cold weather?

eyebreaker7
2021-04-27, 02:29 AM
It sounds like it would to me. If it DOES protect you, would I need to be wearing anything special for added protection?
I know the spell endure elements protects vs weather, but what about resistance to cold 10?

Zombimode
2021-04-27, 02:33 AM
It does. Frostburn has all the details.

From memory cold resistance 10 will cover pretty much any cold environment.

Erik the Green
2021-04-27, 03:10 AM
Just checked Frostburn 4 U. As I recollected there is actually a level of cold, Unearthly (-50 degrees or worse), that requires cold immunity to be entirely safe if I am interpreting the chart of cold protection reasonably. Page 9 & 10 says that either endure elements or cold resistance 5 or more counts as level 3 protection, but Unearthly requires level 4 protection to avoid slow but sure environmental cold damage. OTOH, realistically, if you were anywhere near the frostfall line you'd be wearing armor insulation, a cold weather outfit, or furs if you were getting into the spirit of the thing. That would be enough added protection to be safe. And a minor schema or eternal wand of tiny hut would be a reasonable party-level purchase to get everybody out of the cold overnight, just to be sure.

Fizban
2021-04-27, 04:04 AM
The maximum given cold weather damage is 1d6+1d4. Even if the dice are combined first (they are not), that can't beat resist 10, nor can the Chill Metal effect of extremely low temperatures, since that's only 2d4 as well. Even the Elemental Plane of Cold listed in Manual of the Planes is only 0 degrees. Unless you go to Cania, which deals 3d10 per round (the same value as a Fire Dominant plane), or some other obscure plane or DM material, resist cold 10 will handle anything you can find.