PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the Trickster (a 5e monk subclass)

mcumoric
2021-04-27, 10:16 AM
It's been a while since I've posted homebrew here lol...
Hope you like this monk subclass based on fey shenanigans.

Monk
Way of the trickster
Often called the shadow monk’s less edgy cousin, way of the trickster channel the magic of the feywild, teleporting all over the battlefield, while punching like a man man.
Trickster monks are sometimes also called an odd fusion of a drunken master and a shadow monk. In certain realms, trickster monks often worship Pan.

Feywild chaos
Starting at the 3rd level, when you make an attack with a monk weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to teleport up to 5 feet in any direction. In addition you may spend a ki point to teleport up to 30 feet as a bonus action.

Feyish lore
Starting at the 3rd level, you learn the sylvan and elvish languages. You gain proficiency in the persuasion and deception skills, unless you already possessed them.

Deceptive mask
Starting at the 6th level, you learn the minor illusion and disguise self spells, and you may cast each of them at will, using your wisdom modifier as your spell modifier.

Nature’s madness
Starting at the 11th level, your connection to the fey causes others to go mad. When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, you can spend a ki point to deal an extra amount of psychic damage equal to your monk die. In addition, if the creature takes any psychic damage from this ability, they must make a wisdom saving throw equal to your Ki save, which on a fail, they have disadvantage on all mental saving throws for the next minute.

Mad choir
Starting at the 17th level, when you roll initiative for combat, a choir of chaos erupts, from you, shattering your foe’s resolve. One creature of your choice within 60 feet of you has disadvantage on their initiative roll and they take 2 points of psychic damage. In addition, you have advantage on your initiative roll. You may target additional foes by spending ki points, spending 1 a ki point for 2 enemies your target.

JNAProductions
2021-04-27, 10:24 AM
Feywild Chaos
An unlimited 5' teleport is good. Lets you slip through bars, walls, all sorts of stuff. Not sure it's OP... But it might be. Also should work off Unarmed Strikes too, not just Monk Weapons.

Feyish Lore
Just Fey. Ish is weird, in this context. I would only give Sylvan as a language, and I'd also say that if you already have those skills/language, you get to pick another of your choice.

Deceptive Mask
I probably wouldn't have Disguise Self at-will. It's not a MASSIVELY powerful spell, but still. Maybe Prof Mod/Long Rest? That's still a good chunk of time (3 hours per day when you get it), and maybe allow to spend 1 Ki to cast it again if you really need to.

Nature's Madness
Extra damage for a Ki Point is fine. Disadvantage on all mental saves for a whole minute with no way to make it go away sooner is not. Make it last till the end of your next turn, maybe?

Mad Choir
I'm just not a fan of this ability. Feels kinda weird.

mcumoric
2021-04-27, 10:46 AM
Feywild Chaos
An unlimited 5' teleport is good. Lets you slip through bars, walls, all sorts of stuff. Not sure it's OP... But it might be. Also should work off Unarmed Strikes too, not just Monk Weapons.

Feyish Lore
Just Fey. Ish is weird, in this context. I would only give Sylvan as a language, and I'd also say that if you already have those skills/language, you get to pick another of your choice.

Deceptive Mask
I probably wouldn't have Disguise Self at-will. It's not a MASSIVELY powerful spell, but still. Maybe Prof Mod/Long Rest? That's still a good chunk of time (3 hours per day when you get it), and maybe allow to spend 1 Ki to cast it again if you really need to.

Nature's Madness
Extra damage for a Ki Point is fine. Disadvantage on all mental saves for a whole minute with no way to make it go away sooner is not. Make it last till the end of your next turn, maybe?

Mad Choir
I'm just not a fan of this ability. Feels kinda weird.

Okay thanks for the input, it's been a bit since I've made homebrew.