PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Armorer Optimization

Melphizard
2021-04-27, 01:13 PM
So basically,

I've played Artillerist Artificer before, and it was quite tanky and a really good support, but looking over armorer, it seems to do everything worse. Artillerist can tank just as well, give itself temp hp far more times to itself and allies, and actually gets shield unlike Armorer. Is there any way to really make Armorer excel just as well as Artillerist could in a party as I really want to make one but it just seems like it shall fall behind any other fighter, artillerist, or spellcaster (in terms of the ranged version). The DM wishes for us to be level 8 for the session, so yeah if anybody knows a good way of making them function at that point it'd be great.

Thank you!

Damon_Tor
2021-04-27, 01:23 PM
So basically,

I've played Artillerist Artificer before, and it was quite tanky and a really good support, but looking over armorer, it seems to do everything worse.

Correct, yes. It's a very disappointing subclass mechanically, which is all the more irritating because I adore the flavor.

stoutstien
2021-04-27, 01:36 PM
The armorer would probably be better served in a smaller party where it's ability to switch load outs during a rest would be more impactful. Other than that you have the option to seek out extended reach or mobility to leverage TG punches and stay out of the fray like a AG barbarian or stack up the usual ranged bonuses on the LL. My personal favorite is the goblin armorer who can utilize both modes very well.

Too bad you're at level 8 when lv 9 is where the armorer actually start feeling okay.

Man_Over_Game
2021-04-27, 01:48 PM
Tack on Mobile. You'll get a lot more mileage out of that melee taunt (like an AG) while leveraging Booming Blade, and you'll be a better Concentration-user when fighting at range.

Artillerist is a better damage dealer, Armorer is a better tank.

The fact that you can ignore stat requirements for armor also means you can have Str and Dex as dump stats, so you're much better at leveraging feats and multiclassing than most Artificers.

Interestingly enough, Armorers make better skill monkeys due to their improved stat diversity, feat accessibility, lack of requirement for combat cantrips, and the increased number of infusions they get.

Artillerists are the Artificer-equivalent of a Samurai Fighter with Sharpshooter: Really good at shooting people, and not much else.

Silpharon
2021-04-27, 10:47 PM
Are you allowed to multiclass? A level in fighter and/or Wizard goes a long way. I'll post some comparisons later, but you should know the Infiltrator mode is DPR focused, and the Guardian mode is more about battlefield management.

Melphizard
2021-04-27, 11:59 PM
Are you allowed to multiclass? A level in fighter and/or Wizard goes a long way. I'll post some comparisons later, but you should know the Infiltrator mode is DPR focused, and the Guardian mode is more about battlefield management.

Yeah we're totally allowed to multiclass however we want and additionally, all books WotC has are legal i.e satyr or leonin.

quindraco
2021-04-28, 12:16 AM
I honestly don't know how to build an Armorer any way that doesn't end up as a strictly worse Battlesmith.

apepi
2021-04-28, 12:41 AM
I got an Armorer(3)/Arcane Trickster Rogue(6) build that I have been working on for fun that I want to play.

You can get plate armor and a shield, and no longer disadvantage on stealth in plate. You can pick up the shield spell and find familiar. You also end up getting sneak attack dice and uncanny dodge.

You should do a little more damage than normal armorer's I believe, and be more tanky to boot with Uncanny Dodge. You could also grab Sentinel or Mage Slayer to get off another Sneak Attack. Though you will be starved of reactions, but that isn't ever a bad thing.

Sherlockpwns
2021-04-28, 12:42 AM
I've got some good thoughts on this. Initially I thought the armorer also was kinda... meh. However, there's a few things that make it shine, some of which may require DM approval - or at least warning your DM ;).

First, to differentiate the temp HP artillerist, the only thing I can say is... it doesn't cost you a spell slot if you have to resummon the turret. Also, frankly, the artillerist is a really powerful subclass.

That out of the way, there's a few neat tricks up your sleeve!

As mentioned earlier, mobile + distract on the melee variant can be neat (with or without BB). Without BB you can potentially give disadvantage to two enemies. With it, you can really lock down one enemy. You can also forgo mobile in favor of boots of the winding path, though its a lot less flexible.

However, I think the melee version is the less interesting option.

Armorer is, to me, all about infiltrator mode. The advantages are:

1) You can be stealthy
2) You are slightly faster
3) You can ignore STR. - and I saved this for last because it's kind of a big deal. The problem with melee-mode is even though you can ignore STR req of armor, you still need str to use your weapon (unlike battlesmith). Infiltrator is dex + int only.

And the Lightning Launcher is one of the only ways to make an attack with no hands, since you can chest mount the thing (someone watched too much Ironman making this subclass). It also does 1d6 more damage on its first hit than a hand crossbow.

That said if your DM agrees that the Repeating Shot lets you use a shield + crossbow you should take Crossbow Expert and a hand crossbow and go for the infamous D&D Crossbow + Shield combo, which will grant you a staggering high AC + seriously beefy damage.

The quick "default" attack round will be 2d6+dex on the first hit with LL, 1d6+dex + 1 on the second and the bonus attack (xbow) for a total of 4d6 + dex*3 + 2 (repeating shot's +1) for a round with full hits. Solid. You can optionally add in sharpshooter if you want too.

Alternatively, you can just have a short sword + shield + LL, making you really able to threaten in both melee and at range. That makes you a lot more flexible than the artillerist when things are in your face. It's a lot less damage but you can put that extra feat to work in a pinch.

Ok so lets build this out. If you want to powergame, you can get the TCE custom lineage for the feat + darkvision to be slightly better, but for now, lets just be a V. Human.

+1 dex +1 int so you have your 16 / 16 in primary stats. Everything else season to taste.

Feats

Lvl 1: Free Human feat for Xbow Xpert.
Level 4: Sharpshooter, because we can. +2 dex if you don't want to be "that player"
Level 8: +2 Dex

Key Infusions (3 at level 8)
Repeating Shot Xbow
Repulsion Shield
<anything you want> - I'd consider Goggles of Night (you're a human afterall) mind sharpener, Spell refueling ring (Likely given to a caster so they can get an extra 3rd level spell), enhanced defense, bag of holding, or even Armor of Tools (Thieves). Just be sure 2 (minimum) are "armor" mods. More on this at the end.

Since you've played artificer before you already know that you get 6 infusions known, so be flexible and swap them out as needed. Repulsion shield won't be needed if you find a +1 shield for instance.

Key Skills
If your party doesn't have a character for traps, thief tool proficiency can actually be your jam and you can fill in. That's why I list Armor of tools above. Not only do you have expertise in this, but with Armor of Tools you could have your dex + int + double prof, making you the biggest tool in the game! ;)

Otherwise, nothing special here, fit it to your flavor.

Spells
IMO since we've focused on DEX instead of INT, avoid spells with saves. Magic Missile can do work if you need guaranteed damage. Absorb Elements, Feather fall, Enlarge, Cure, See Invis, Invis, even things like Purify Food and Drink may be handy. I don't think you need an attack cantrip either, so focus on utility that your party needs.

Ok, so far so good but this sounds pretty basic right? I mean all we've really got going for us is lightning damage that does an extra 1d6 per round on a hit, 5 ft of movement speed, and no-disadvantage in plate armor on stealth rolls. Otherwise we're just a weaker version of a battlesmith. You're absolute right!... and that's because you're starting at level 8.

Also you may be wondering "how come you haven't suggested a fighter dip for the +2 to hit" or a rogue dip for sneak... well...

Level 9 and 10 I think are the turning points for armorer, so I want to look ahead to that and we want to rush it as fast as possible.

Level 9 grants you 2 additional infusions (as long as 2 of them are part of your armor, which they will be). That's HUGE! SO much better than artillerist's 1d8 damage per round. Keep in mind your infusions only get stronger as you level. Something like mind sharpener + haste really makes you significantly more dangerous and you don't have to give up a needed infusion!

Finally, at level 10, the build is reaching its stride. And I really do think this is the problem with the armorer, it's "just ok" until level 10. Level 10 changes everything for the armorer.

The big change at level 10 isn't that you get Magic Item Adept (I mean you do), it's that you get access to the level 10 replicate magic item list and now can infuse SIX items.

Let's just pick a few fun things we can now do. Pick your favorite 3 at level 10. (You learn 2 and can swap 1 out)
Fly
Take 1d10+dex less damage from all ranged attacks
Gain advantage on initiative rolls
+1 AC and +1 Save
At will disguise self
Have advantage on perception checks that rely on sight

So, lets go with the basic: Flight and taking less damage from ranged attacks. A nice combo since the only way to hurt you when flying will be ranged attacks or spells and 1d10+dex is a pretty huge bonus (though it does mean you have to drop your shield, but this also frees up both the repeating shot and shield infusion). Let's give ourselves perception advantage too, so we can spot enemies and pretend we're an eagle or something.

And yes, absolutely the artillerist can do this too. The difference is you're doing it wearing heavy armor with 2 more infusions than they are. With each level you can rotate out another low level infusion for a higher one.

With each level from here you're going to get significantly stronger than the artillerist.

So, all that said, if the game is only level 8 and not going on to level 12-14... well, the armorer is "ok." But I think it has a ton of flavor at level 10+. It can stand on the front line like a fighter but have multiple skills on par with a thief. It has a handful of nice utility spells in and out of combat to fill in some gaps.

And this is just one version. You can easily make a melee version that is all about locking down enemies too, or even using the Ogre Power gauntlets, a hybrid version that can do both. Hitting 2 (or even 3 with haste) enemies and then flying out of reach can really mess up some rolls. Or even taking Dual Wielder you can bonus action smack someone with them too. There's actually quite a bit of nuance to the subclass that makes it substantially different from others, and I like that a lot. You could even take PAM with mobile instead and gauntlet tag someone and move away.

Hope this helps give you some inspiration on what to do!

Silpharon
2021-04-28, 08:41 AM
Key Infusions (3 at level 8)
Repeating Shot Xbow
Repulsion Shield
<anything you want> - I'd consider Goggles of Night (you're a human afterall) mind sharpener, Spell refueling ring (Likely given to a caster so they can get an extra 3rd level spell), enhanced defense, bag of holding, or even Armor of Tools (Thieves). Just be sure 2 (minimum) are "armor" mods. More on this at the end.

Don't forget Enhanced Weapon on your Lightning Launcher! From level 3-8 you can pick to either infuse your weapon or your armor, but I'd say weapon is much more important.

The Dex XBE build is strong, and you're right that the Infiltrator mode is where it's at for DPR. Add Sharpshooter and a level in fighter and you can do top tier damage.

That said, it feels hokey to go Dex instead of Int. Thunderwave, Shatter, and Hypnotic Pattern are great in a pinch, not to mention the base class spells. Honestly I think a Dex based Armorer should only go 3-5 levels, pick up Repeating Weapon and Enhanced Weapon infusions, then multiclass out. An Armorer 3/Gloomstalker 5+ would be a great combo. Expert stealth on top of advantage (breastplate) and pass without trace +10 would make any rogue jealous. First turn has 4 attacks... You pick up archery fighting style... really strong. You can eventually pick up Medium Armor Master for 18 AC Half Plate with stealth advantage. Or "downgrade" to studded leather when you're at 20 dex for 17 AC. Or just be content with 18 AC Plate Mail and always roll a straight stealth roll no matter any other sources of disadvantage.

A more well rounded option is to go Int for attacks, and use Homunculus Servant for bonus action attacks. The damage isn't as high, but there is a lot of utility in having the Servant on the battlefield. Plus not having to spend a feat on XBE gives you another ASI that strengthens you a different way. If you really want a bonus action attack you could get some levels in Kensei monk for Ki-Fueled attack spawned from either Focused Aim or Deft Strikes.

More to come later...

Sherlockpwns
2021-04-28, 12:15 PM
Don't forget Enhanced Weapon on your Lightning Launcher! From level 3-8 you can pick to either infuse your weapon or your armor, but I'd say weapon is much more important.

The Dex XBE build is strong, and you're right that the Infiltrator mode is where it's at for DPR. Add Sharpshooter and a level in fighter and you can do top tier damage.

<snippers!>

More to come later...

The reason I don't suggest enh wep is since you have to take xbow xpert is they overlap. The math is more fuzzy than it seems since you don't hit every attack, but basically the majority of your attacks are coming from the xbow, not your LL. If you DON'T go Xbow and instead go Homunculus or some other method of using your bonus action, then absolutely Enhance the LL.

Again, I do think there are a lot of ways to build an armorer. Multiclass out at level 3 (or 4 if you need the ASI) is a viable option, but my argument is level 9 and 10 is where things heat up for the subclass, and since the OP is starting at 8, it's not a long wait assuming its going to be a normal campaign to 13-14. I'd probably agree going from level 1 that a 3 level dip is going to be more fun and even than being kind of "meh" for 9 levels.

That said for multi-class there's a few fun ways to go for sure: A quick list of themes-

A rogue that uses magical tools to get the job done (Some kind of medium armor proficiency monster that uses sneak attack lightning launchers) - Since you get an extra d6 for the LL, you're effectively only "losing" 1 level of sneak attack for advantage on stealth, in-built weapons, medium armor (or heavy), & 2 magic items. AT keeps your spells improving, but I kinda like Inquisitive so you can bonus-attack grant yourself sneak and get skill improvements or scout so you can be more mobile and... scouty.

A heavy armored wizard (war magic?) - 3 levels of Artificer only puts you 1 effective level behind on your spell slots and gives you that BB + Mobile option and access to a few temp HP. In effect you're giving up higher levels spells compared to the traditional 1 level fighter dip, but gaining 2 magic items, some very small amount of temp HP, and the gauntlet effect. It may actually be worth it to go all the way to Artificer 5, which gives up 2 caster levels but nets you the ASI and extra attack. Depends if you want to be a fighty-wizard or a blasty-wizard.

A wide variety of ranger options to make use of both spells, stealth, and shooting lightning. My favorite being a swarm keeper that fires bees at people out of your "lightning bee launcher" ;) - that first hit in theory with Hunter Mark or fav foe (level 8) does 4d6 + dex. That's kinda fun, right?
Really almost every ranger subclass gives a nice set of options for infiltrator armor.

I'm sure there are plenty more!

Silpharon
2021-04-28, 12:24 PM
The reason I don't suggest enh wep is since you have to take xbow xpert is they overlap. The math is more fuzzy than it seems since you don't hit every attack, but basically the majority of your attacks are coming from the xbow, not your LL. If you DON'T go Xbow and instead go Homunculus or some other method of using your bonus action, then absolutely Enhance the LL.

Why would more attacks come from hand crossbow than LL? I see two attacks from LL, one of which gets an extra 1d6, and then a bonus attack from the hand crossbow. Both weapons can use Dex for modifiers, and you can have Repeating Weapon on Xbow and Enhanced Weapon on LL active at the same time. Assuming Armorer to 8 (18 dex), you get (1d6+5)x3+1d6 at +8 to hit with optional Sharpshooter affecting all three attacks.

Man_Over_Game
2021-04-28, 12:42 PM
3) You can ignore STR. - and I saved this for last because it's kind of a big deal. The problem with melee-mode is even though you can ignore STR req of armor, you still need str to use your weapon (unlike battlesmith). Infiltrator is dex + int only.

"Each model includes a special weapon. When you attack with that weapon, you can add your Intelligence modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, to the attack and damage rolls."

It's not specific to Infiltrator models.

In fact, considering that the Guardian model ignores Strength requirements on armor, the Infiltrator needs both Dex + Int if it wants to use stealth while the Guardian only needs Intelligence (for maximum efficiency).

Pyrophilios
2021-04-28, 01:34 PM
Honorable mention to the All-Purpose-Tool which allows you to get Int based Shilleagh. That opens up PAM/Sentinel+Crusher to lockdown melee opponents.

8wGremlin
2021-04-28, 03:06 PM
I'm partial to Moon Druid 2/Artificer (armourer x)
The armour can change form over the beast form. Upping a Beasts AC considerably.
You get to use the beasts DEX, or your INT for the Lightning Launcher.
And the Beast gets a Ranged attack.

Odd, but fun. Wis 13 to apply.

The other is be Small, take Wildfire Druid, and get you small Wyldfire Spirit to carry you, (make sure you're below his 10 str carry weight)
Wildfire spirits have fly 30' and can hover.

Jet back LL shooting Mini-Ironman

Damon_Tor
2021-04-28, 03:27 PM
The armour can change form over the beast form.

Okay, that's pretty neat.

EDIT: For more interesting combos, consider that there's no reason an artificer/druid in robo-bear form can't use a Spell Storing Item, since the use of the item is not actually casting the spell but "producing its effect"

Transformers... more than meets the eye...

Seekergeek
2021-04-28, 04:03 PM
I'm partial to Moon Druid 2/Artificer (armourer x)
The armour can change form over the beast form. Upping a Beasts AC considerably.

We've played that way at my table but I always thought that was more of a hand waive than RAW. Initially I was writing this post to see if there had been a ruling in Sage Advice or the like, but it's a bit more clear than I had thought...the armourer ability says "It [your arcane armour] also expands to cover your entire body", and the wildshape description is more explicit in stating "You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of equipment, based on the creature's shape and size."

Seems to me that it still requires DM approval (though what doesn't really), and may not be something a player could count on with a stingey DM without proper backup.

Damon_Tor
2021-04-28, 04:39 PM
We've played that way at my table but I always thought that was more of a hand waive than RAW. Initially I was writing this post to see if there had been a ruling in Sage Advice or the like, but it's a bit more clear than I had thought...the armourer ability says "It [your arcane armour] also expands to cover your entire body", and the wildshape description is more explicit in stating "You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of equipment, based on the creature's shape and size."

Seems to me that it still requires DM approval (though what doesn't really), and may not be something a player could count on with a stingey DM without proper backup.

I don't really see how you could read in a way which would disallow the combo.

The bigger problem, IMO, is the druid prohibition against metal armor. You would have to make full plate out of bones, which is metal as f*** now that I think about it more. After a fight you harvest your enemy's skulls and add it to the collection, and when you turn into a bear, you're a bear made out of skulls. BRUTAL.

Seekergeek
2021-04-28, 04:43 PM
I don't really see how you could read in a way which would disallow the combo.

The bigger problem, IMO, is the druid prohibition against metal armor. You would have to make full plate out of bones, which is metal as f*** now that I think about it more. After a fight you harvest your enemy's skulls and add it to the collection, and when you turn into a bear, you're a bear made out of skulls. BRUTAL.

Haha. Yeah, the player with the combo was a lizardfolk and REALLY leaned in to the whole cunning artisan thing. The DM was game and we all loved the post-combat harvest rituals he'd pull out. And I agree, too, that after a second reading and some thought it wasn't a handwaive as much as I thought.

Damon_Tor
2021-04-28, 05:03 PM
Haha. Yeah, the player with the combo was a lizardfolk and REALLY leaned in to the whole cunning artisan thing. The DM was game and we all loved the post-combat harvest rituals he'd pull out. And I agree, too, that after a second reading and some thought it wasn't a handwaive as much as I thought.

There's a tendency to think of the artificer in general and the armorer specifically as "magi-tech", but there's plenty of room to play it like a shaman making totems and things like that.

stoutstien
2021-04-28, 05:13 PM
There's a tendency to think of the artificer in general and the armorer specifically as "magi-tech", but there's plenty of room to play it like a shaman making totems and things like that.

Aye. The artificer is pretty good at shamanistic concepts and wise hedge witches using magical trinkets.

Damon_Tor
2021-04-28, 05:31 PM
Aye. The artificer is pretty good at shamanistic concepts and wise hedge witches using magical trinkets.

IMO, it was a major error to lean so hard into "Iron Man" as the inspiration for the armorer. It totally tainted the perception of the subclass.

Evaar
2021-04-28, 06:54 PM

I don't care for the "magi-tech" flavor either, I've been flavoring all my spells as using some preserved part of an appropriate monster to cause the effect. Dispel Magic is a beholder's eye, for example. Cure Wounds is a troll's thumb. He preserves the inherent magic in the items and uses that to evoke the spell effects.

Silpharon
2021-04-28, 08:54 PM
I don't care for the "magi-tech" flavor either, I've been flavoring all my spells as using some preserved part of an appropriate monster to cause the effect. Dispel Magic is a beholder's eye, for example. Cure Wounds is a troll's thumb. He preserves the inherent magic in the items and uses that to evoke the spell effects.

That's pretty cool. I've been wanting to have a staff master character. He carries a sack of enchanted staves on his back and a shield in his off-hand. He will collect and make these staves through his journeys and fuel them through rituals to gather arcane energies. It'd work well as an Artillerist if we homebrew that each spell staff has Arcane Firearm. Fits nicely with the Shillelagh trick.

8wGremlin
2021-04-28, 10:16 PM
With my Artificer/Druid (moon) 2,
I've gone the wood, bone and stone route for armour for the aesthetic
But there is always a lot of discussion on Metal and the RAW of this, but that's up to you to decide in your campaign.

Sherlockpwns
2021-04-28, 11:24 PM
"Each model includes a special weapon. When you attack with that weapon, you can add your Intelligence modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, to the attack and damage rolls."

It's not specific to Infiltrator models.

In fact, considering that the Guardian model ignores Strength requirements on armor, the Infiltrator needs both Dex + Int if it wants to use stealth while the Guardian only needs Intelligence (for maximum efficiency).

I have no idea how i missed this - well, that is embarrassing!

Kane0
2021-04-29, 05:04 AM
That's pretty cool. I've been wanting to have a staff master character. He carries a sack of enchanted staves on his back and a shield in his off-hand. He will collect and make these staves through his journeys and fuel them through rituals to gather arcane energies.

I once did something very similar with a mage character that carried around a staff with a bunch of wands strapped to it. Fun times.

If I ever get a chance to be a player again one of my reserve characters is an armorer arty, however instead of ironman I’ll be channeling my inner Tesla Trooper.

Yakmala
2021-04-29, 12:03 PM
Tack on Mobile. You'll get a lot more mileage out of that melee taunt (like an AG) while leveraging Booming Blade, and you'll be a better Concentration-user when fighting at range.

Does BB actually work with Thunder Gauntlets? Per the updated rules on Booming Blade, it requires a melee weapon worth at least 1 SP. Thunder Gauntlets makes each of the armor's gauntlets count as a simple melee weapon but does that satisfy BB's spell component requirement? And are we assuming gauntlets have the value of the armor being worn?

Evaar
2021-04-29, 12:26 PM
Does BB actually work with Thunder Gauntlets? Per the updated rules on Booming Blade, it requires a melee weapon worth at least 1 SP. Thunder Gauntlets makes each of the armor's gauntlets count as a simple melee weapon but does that satisfy BB's spell component requirement? And are we assuming gauntlets have the value of the armor being worn?

They are part of the armor, so yes they have some value. You can tell they are part of the armor because you can't use them unless you are wearing the armor.

And that rule change isn't intended to provoke these kinds of questions. It was intended to prevent something that never happened and no one ever thought might happen.

In other words, I suggest pretending the 1sp requirement doesn't exist.

Man_Over_Game
2021-04-29, 12:54 PM
They are part of the armor, so yes they have some value. You can tell they are part of the armor because you can't use them unless you are wearing the armor.

And that rule change isn't intended to provoke these kinds of questions. It was intended to prevent something that never happened and no one ever thought might happen.

In other words, I suggest pretending the 1sp requirement doesn't exist.

Agreed.

5e has a bad habit of writing things without consideration of the future or outside mechanics (like how Unarmed Strikes don't work for Natural Weapons, unless a Natural Weapon printed after the PHB says so).

Damon_Tor
2021-04-29, 04:26 PM

Things don't need to have an explicit, listed value to have a value. RAW says that if something doesn't have a listed value the DM decides what the value is. No reasonable DM would give them a value of less than 1 sp.

Silpharon
2021-05-01, 11:25 AM
Getting back to the OP topic. Some comparisons:

Artillerist 8:
Custom lineage (str 8, dex 14, con 13, int 17, wis 12, cha 10)
Starting talent: Fey Touched (int+1, bless)
Level 4 ASI: Crusher, con+1
Level 8 ASI: Int+2
*Assumes your DM will let you start with an uncommon All-Purpose Tool*
Get Shillelagh from the tool 8 hrs/day
Infusions: Radiant Weapon, Repulsion Shield, Homunculus Servant
Armor: Half Plate + Shield + Infusion = 20 AC
Weapon: Quarterstaff that's your Arcane Firearm, Radiant Weapon, and Shillelagh stick
Concentrate on Bless at the start of the fight if able.
Have the Homunculus Servant fly above you with a tiny protector cannon (it can carry 30 lbs, and a handheld cannon should be less than that).

Attack with Booming Blade for 3d8+6 damage on hit (firearm adds a 1d8), with 2d8 additional if they move, with a +9+1d4 to hit. The hit does some bludgeoning damage, so you move the enemy 5 feet away with your attack via the Crusher feat. This allows you to move freely, and if the enemy is melee it will have to move to attack. Bonus action either use protector cannon or Homunculus Servant attack (1d4+3 dmg, +8+1d4 to hit).

Assuming the latter and that the enemy moves on its turn, your DPR damage spread is:
AC 12: 34.65
AC 13: 33.78
AC 14: 32.33
AC 15: 30.48
AC 16: 28.86
AC 17: 27.20
AC 18: 25.60
AC 19: 23.81
AC 20: 22.20

Armorer 8:
Custom lineage (str 8, dex 14, con 12, int 17, wis 13, cha 10)
Starting talent: Fey Touched (int+1, bless)
Level 4 ASI: Sharpshooter
Level 8 ASI: Int+2
Infusions: Radiant Weapon, Repulsion Shield, Homunculus Servant
Armor: Half Plate + Shield + Infusion = 20 AC
Weapon: Radiant Weapon Lightning Launcher
Concentrate on Bless at the start of the fight if able.
Have the Homunculus Servant fly around behind cover if possible.

Attack with Lightning Launcher for (1d6+6)x2 with an additional 1d6 on the first hit and a +9+1d4 to hit. Use Sharpshooter for -5 hit/+10 dmg on both attacks. Bonus action use Homunculus Servant attack (1d4+3 dmg, +8+1d4 to hit).

Your DPR damage spread is:
AC 12: 39.58
AC 13: 37.39
AC 14: 35.01
AC 15: 32.67
AC 16: 30.24
AC 17: 27.86
AC 18: 25.51
AC 19: 23.10
AC 20: 20.64

Armorer beats Artillerist @ 12-17 AC, Artillerist beats Armorer @ 19-20 AC. Artillerist damage is reliant on a Shillelagh bonus action cast and the enemy actually moving to proc booming blade's extra damage. Artillerist damage could increase slightly if the force ballista is used as opposed to the Homunculus/Protector combo, this moves the break even point between the builds to 14 AC instead of 18 AC.

Both builds would benefit from a Spellwrought Tattoo Familiar if that's agreeable to the DM. I intentionally put the Armorer Wis score to 13 for future multiclassing into ranger (Gloomstalker makes a good fit).