PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Winged Ape info. Where can I find it?

eyebreaker7
2021-04-27, 03:13 PM
https://village.photos/images/user/c305cbbe-e053-4c83-8f55-e8d66ccfa88f/96bf83a0-4924-4a4e-8d4d-6bb8c353f452.jpg

I really like this guy. I've googled and found just this pic. Does anyone know of anywhere I can find more info on it?
I thought about using a Dire Ape but his Int is only a 2, and the MM entry doesn't really give much info to use for this creature.
Maybe go with a Half-Celestial template on a Dire Ape? That would still only give him a 4 Int. Still not good by any means. This stat card says it has a 10 Int so how would I do a write up on this guy? Some sort of template I guess. Any thoughts, ideas, advice, info locations out there?

Tzardok
2021-04-27, 04:21 PM
https://village.photos/images/user/c305cbbe-e053-4c83-8f55-e8d66ccfa88f/96bf83a0-4924-4a4e-8d4d-6bb8c353f452.jpg

I really like this guy. I've googled and found just this pic. Does anyone know of anywhere I can find more info on it?
I thought about using a Dire Ape but his Int is only a 2, and the MM entry doesn't really give much info to use for this creature.
Maybe go with a Half-Celestial template on a Dire Ape? That would still only give him a 4 Int. Still not good by any means. This stat card says it has a 10 Int so how would I do a write up on this guy? Some sort of template I guess. Any thoughts, ideas, advice, info locations out there?

You could start from the Spirit of the Air, an ape-like winged creature with high intelligence and magical abilities from the Fiend Folio, or the hadozee, a sapient ape from Stormwrack with a sailor culture. Sadly, hadozee can only glide, not fly with their wings.

Remuko
2021-04-27, 04:27 PM

it says right on the bottom that its homebrew by some guy on reddit. Id take an ape or dire and ape and just apply the winged template to it if you want to emulate this.

eyebreaker7
2021-04-27, 04:45 PM
What about a magebread, awakened ape (or dire ape) that is then given the half-celestial template? Would that all even be possible? The dire ape would be too big for adventuring indoors or underground so maybe just a regular ape? OR put a shrink collar on a dire ape? lol. I know I'm going overboard right?

ShurikVch
2021-04-27, 05:05 PM
How about a Hadozee with Feral and Winged templates?

eyebreaker7
2021-04-27, 05:37 PM
Sorry but I don't like the hadozee or the feral template :(

ShurikVch
2021-04-27, 05:57 PM
Sorry but I don't like the hadozee or the feral template :(
Then how about a Taer (Unapproachable East) with Winged template?
Or Feral Gargun ( Races of Stone )? //The "Feral" there is a part of the race's name - not a template

Bullet06320
2021-04-27, 08:01 PM
Alaghi from monsters of faerun is basically bigfoot, reskin it as a gorilla and winged template

flying monkey dragon 334 scale it up in size and couple hd and reskin it as above

anthromoporhic from savage species on a dire ape add winged template

eyebreaker7
2021-04-28, 04:07 AM
https://village.photos/images/user/c...b8c353f452.jpg

What would you give him for equipment? Just going with what's in the picture + a few other items to add:

Sword
Rope of entanglement
Dagger
Necklace adaptation
Belt
Quiver
Bow
pack??? looks like some sort of pack on his hip. Maybe a Haversack?

Ok add:
ring
ring of feather falling
something for armor (chain shirt, bracers of armor?)
maybe some potions, wands, misc items

Go with him being an awakened half-celestial dire ape / wizard 5
Str 30, Dex 19, Con 20, Int 29, Wis 16, Cha 15

The idea is to use his wizard spells as buffs not offensive stuff.

Particle_Man
2021-04-28, 01:27 PM
I think Iron Heroes might have something if you don't mind 3rd party stuff.

Edit: I think I built something using the Demonic Minion, part of the Villain Class build your own monster rules in the Iron Heroes Bestiary, so I called it a Winged Monkey (inspired by Oz) but it wasn't listed as such. The "winged big ape" version could be the Demonic Brute villain class in Mastering Iron Heroes.

I guess one could do something similar with other generic d20 books (like Mutants and Masterminds) but Iron Heroes is closer to 3.5 fantasy games.