PDA

View Full Version : Using a shrink collar and no reduction in movement speed?

eyebreaker7
2021-04-27, 06:05 PM
"Regardless of his or her original size, the wearer shrinks to Small size, becoming around 3 feet in height and weighing no more than 60 pounds. None of the creature's other attributes change."

Just to be clear, the creatures movement speed doesn't change either? So if I put it on a half-celestial dire ape it will still move at 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 15 ft. and fly 60 ft. speeds?

Drelua
2021-04-27, 07:10 PM
I don't think there's any general rule on size changes altering move speeds, so even apart from that bolded line, I don't think it would change.

Makes sense to me, in reality bigger things don't tend to be faster things. I had a lot of different dogs growing up, the smaller ones were the fastest.

eyebreaker7
2021-04-27, 08:45 PM
Regardless of his or her original size, the wearer shrinks to Small size, becoming around 3 feet in height and weighing no more than 60 pounds.

I'm assuming your items shrink with you? Weapons and all? Unless they leave your possession and don't reshrink if picked back up without re-using the collar?

Drelua
2021-04-27, 10:40 PM
Hm, I'm not sure. I can't find a general rule on what happens when a creature shrinks, it usually just goes by what the spell or effect says. It says the shrink collar requires reduce, which I'm guessing is a 3.0 spell. For 3.5 I would assume it would require reduce animal, which functions like reduce person, which says it does shrink your gear. So I think it would, but there's a couple guesses involved.

Fouredged Sword
2021-04-29, 06:33 AM
The best use of a shrink collar is to turn a silver great wyrm zombie dragon into an undead jetpack as it clings to the back of it's necromancer and flies the laughing idiot around shooting off paralyzing gas breath attacks.

ShurikVch
2021-04-29, 11:00 AM
"Regardless of his or her original size, the wearer shrinks to Small size, becoming around 3 feet in height and weighing no more than 60 pounds. None of the creature's other attributes change."

Just to be clear, the creatures movement speed doesn't change either? So if I put it on a half-celestial dire ape it will still move at 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 15 ft. and fly 60 ft. speeds?
Note: "bigger" ≠ "faster"
Titanic Creature template sets speed at 20' (even if for the "base creature" it was 60')
Kaiju template doesn't change the speed (unless it's below 20')
Monstrous Spiders (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousSpider.htm) - from Small to Colossal - are all have the same speed

I'm assuming your items shrink with you? Weapons and all? Unless they leave your possession and don't reshrink if picked back up without re-using the collar?
Well, Shrink Collar uses the 3.0 Reduce spell; the RAW for it says:

All equipment worn or carried by a creature is reduced by the spell. Magical properties are not decreased by this spell - a smaller +3 sword is still +3, a smaller wand is still capable of its normal functions, and a smaller dose of a potion still has its normal effects. Weight, mass, and strength are affected, though. Thus, a hurled stone would have less mass (and cause less damage), chains would be easier to burst, a rope made thinner and easier to sever, and so on.
A shrinking object may damage weaker materials affixed to it, but a reduced object shrinks only as long as the object itself is not damaged.
Also - because one of the likeliest intended targets for the Collar is a mount - it would be rather bad if the horse in question would be shrunk while keeping the original size of bits and horseshoes...