PDA

View Full Version : How to make Crusher, Slasher, and Piercer to all apply to the same attack

Greywander
2021-04-27, 09:46 PM
1 level in Genielock (dao) addes prof. bonus bludgeoning damage to one attack on your turn, including spell attacks.

3 levels in Swarmkeeper ranger adds 1d6 piercing damage to one attack on your turn, including spell attacks. I didn't see this until just now, when someone pointed it out in another thread.

The only thing we're missing now is a way to add slashing damage to an attack, but you could also just use a slashing weapon.

That said, Piercer just isn't that good, and certainly worse than either Crusher or Slasher, so I don't think this justifies dipping 3 levels into ranger. I just thought it was interesting that you could make all three feats apply to a single attack.

I feel like this combos nicely with Booming Blade, to stack even more effects on your enemy. So you knock them back, reduce their speed by 10 feet, and they'll take damage if they move. In a way, it reminds me of EB with all the invocation effects you can stack, particularly the knockback and slowing. Still, EB is probably a lower investment, as you get more invocations than you do feats, unless you're only dipping into warlock.

Speaking of, it's interesting that both the Genielock and Swarmkeeper effects don't scale with level in that class (Swarmkeeper does get an upgrade later, but whatever). So you're fine just dipping into them.

apepi
2021-04-28, 12:12 AM
I don't think Swarmkeeper actually adds to the attack roll like a normal die. It happens after you attack, not as you attack. For example, you wouldn't roll an extra dice of piercing damage if you crit.

Now it might still be possible to do this, but it would be a lot harder.

If you go order of scribes(and 1 in warlock), cast Flame Arrow but instead change the damage type to slashing(via having a summon spell with a creature that can attack with slashing;kind of arguable if this works, animate object would also work) and attack with a crossbow, you still get all three damage types.

Now this character really wouldn't be that good at all, but you can do it for the memes.