PDA

View Full Version : [Races] Flinik, Hyppys, and Mooli

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-11, 10:22 AM
The Flinik - A race of dark bronze skinned humanoids with great wings of flame. These people are good natured and rowdy. They love the look of gold and adorn themselves with as much of it as possible. While they mostly look like a human, their heads are that of a hawk with red to brown feathers and bright yellow-gold beaks. The Fliniks take great pride in their beaks and always keep it shiny. They dress in very little, normally only loincloths overlaid with gold belts. Though they were many bracelets, bangles, necklaces, belts, and rings all of gold.

Flinik Racial Traits
Ability Scores - +2 Dex, -2 Wis, +2 Cha
Type Outsider [Native, Fire]
Size Medium
Land Speed 30ft
Fly Speed 30ft (poor)
Flame Wings - Due to the fiery nature of their wings, Fliniks can use them as light and offense. A Flinik's wings produce bright ilumination in a 30ft radius and shadowy in another 30ft radius beyond the first. Additionally, a Flinik has two wing attacks that deal 1d6 fire damage.
Great Luck - All Flinik are naturally lucky and may re-roll any skill check 2/day.
Level Adjustment +1

The Hyppys - Natural jumpers, the Hyppys love the feel of the breeze and thrills of dangerous jumps. They seek the most dangerous cliffs and other heights and the more deaths that have happened there, the better. Fearless and nimble, the Hyppys look very much like rabbits with humanoid features. They are covered in think fur ranging from white to black and from red to brown. Their coats are usually patterned with spots though solid color coats are not uncommon. The Hyppys's most defining feature are their legs which are large and powerful. Their faces look humanoid but long ears flop behind their head and a long bushy tail giving them a funny look.

Hyppys Racial Traits
Ability Scores - +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Int
Type Outsider [Native, Air]
Size Medium
Land Speed 40ft
Natural Leapers - Hyppys are natural leapers and are always considered to have a running start when making jump checks. Additionally, Hyppys have a +30 racial bonus to jump checks.
Feel no Fear: - Hyppys rarely have this feeling some call "fear" though sometimes are "put off" by a dragon flying overhead, but it is a slight dampening on their day. Hyppys have a +8 bonus on all saves verse fear.
Level Adjustment +1

The Mooli - A race of aloof and proud burrowers, the Mooli can be found in great cave complexes and mines. The Mooli look very rodent like, standing like a slouched human, they have a short tough coat of fur almost always dark brown in color, though black coats have been known to exist. The feet of a Mooli are flat, making them awkward when walking, but their arms hang all the way to the ground and end in over-sized hands complete with great claws which they use to dig through the earth. Their faces are humanoid though squat and two short, blunt upper fangs can usually be seen. Other rodent like features include a very short slick tail and stubby, upright ears.

Mooli Racial Traits
Ability Scores - +4 Str, -2 Dex
Type Outsider [Native, Earth]
Size Medium
Land Speed 20ft
Burrow Speed 40ft
Darkvision 120ft
Earth Affinity - Mooli are most comfortable when in enclosed spaces giving them a +1 morale bonus to AC and attack rolls. Additionally, Mooli gain a +8 bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks while underground.
Claw - Mooli have two natural claw attacks that deal 1d8 damage.
Level Adjustment +1

So, three elementally affiliated races, what do you think? I'm questionable if the Hyppys's +30 jump is worth the LA.

Mr.Moron
2007-11-11, 10:47 AM
Flinik seem a bit strong for LA+1:

-Fly Speed
-2d4 +4d6 off one type of natural attack.
-Net +2 Stats
-Luck Domain power Twice a day.

That's all feeling a bit hefty. Sure the list is short, they don't quite have as many little boosts as other races, but it's all good stuff and virtually no drawbacks. At level 2 those 2d4+4d6 wings are going to hurt, and badly. They get fly speed well before you could by spells, and the luck domain thing is fairly useful. Heck while the wing light stuff is only gimmick and in many ways it's like having 75% of standard dark vision.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-11, 11:15 AM
Flinik seem a bit strong for LA+1:

-Fly Speed
-2d4 +4d6 off one type of natural attack.
-Net +2 Stats
-Luck Domain power Twice a day.

That's all feeling a bit hefty. Sure the list is short, they don't quite have as many little boosts as other races, but it's all good stuff and virtually no drawbacks. At level 2 those 2d4+4d6 wings are going to hurt, and badly. They get fly speed well before you could by spells, and the luck domain thing is fairly useful. Heck while the wing light stuff is only gimmick and in many ways it's like having 75% of standard dark vision.

Very true, looking back I don't know what I was thinking with the Flinik...and their wings are supposed to be pure fire, so I'll change damage to just be 1d6 fire and modify the luck a bit. I could probably drop fly speed and maneuverability...

Edit: Also, I think I should explain the names, they might seem a little weird but: Flinik - Greek for phoenix, Hyppys - minus the 's' it means "jump" in finnish, Mooli - "mole" in finnish.

KingGolem
2007-11-11, 06:30 PM
Interesting concepts, indeed. I just spent the past few minutes looking over the Jump rules, and a completely average Hyppy would have a base Jump modifier of 35 (+30 racial, +4 for the 10ft land speed above 30ft, and +1 for an average Strength of 12), that coupled with its ability to make jumps without a running start allows it to make a long jump of 40ft by rolling a 5, the ability to jump 10ft (giving it a reach of 18ft, for being a Medium sized creature) in the air by rolling a 5, and automatically suceeding on hopping up and jumping down, all from a standing position.

Now imagine if a Hyppy did make a running start on a long/high Jump check and rolled a 15. :smalleek: I think that allows them to jump a 75ft distance or jump 25ft in the air (somewhere around there, I think I might have done the math wrong on that one). So yes, I believe it is INDEED worth a +1 LA, if not higher.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-11, 07:27 PM
Interesting concepts, indeed. I just spent the past few minutes looking over the Jump rules, and a completely average Hyppy would have a base Jump modifier of 35 (+30 racial, +4 for the 10ft land speed above 30ft, and +1 for an average Strength of 12), that coupled with its ability to make jumps without a running start allows it to make a long jump of 40ft by rolling a 5, the ability to jump 10ft (giving it a reach of 18ft, for being a Medium sized creature) in the air by rolling a 5, and automatically suceeding on hopping up and jumping down, all from a standing position.

Now imagine if a Hyppy did make a running start on a long/high Jump check and rolled a 15. :smalleek: I think that allows them to jump a 75ft distance or jump 25ft in the air (somewhere around there, I think I might have done the math wrong on that one). So yes, I believe it is INDEED worth a +1 LA, if not higher.

Hey, thanks for the calculation. That's about what I ways aiming. I think it does deserve the LA +1, but not more since that's really all it can do.

Charlie Kemek
2007-11-11, 09:48 PM
I personally think that the hyppys should get +20 jumping, levitate 1/day, or something like that, maybe "Jump" (as the spell) X/day instead of the jumping bonus, and levitate.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-11, 10:01 PM
I personally think that the hyppys should get +20 jumping, levitate 1/day, or something like that, maybe "Jump" (as the spell) X/day instead of the jumping bonus, and levitate.

Levitate does mesh with the flavor of a jumper at all. They don't have the magical ability to hang in the air, they have the ability to jump as far as they could walk in the same amount of time. And giving the jump spell would lower them to a LA +0 which isn't what I want either, these are supposed to be LA +1, though I could make lesser versions. Hmm....

Lesser Flinik Racial Traits
Ability Scores - +2 Dex, -2 Wis
Type Outsider [Native, Fire]
Size Medium
Land Speed 30ft
Glide Speed 20ft (poor)
Flame Wings - Due to the fiery nature of their wings, Fliniks can use them as light and offense. A Flinik's wings produce bright ilumination in a 10ft radius and shadowy in another 10ft radius beyond the first. Additionally, a Flinik has two secondary wing attacks that deal 1d6 fire damage.

Lesser Hyppys Racial Traits
Ability Scores - +2 Dex, -2 Int
Type Outsider [Native, Air]
Size Medium
Land Speed 30ft
Natural Leapers - Hyppys are natural leapers and are always considered to have a running start when making jump checks. Additionally, Hyppys have a +10 racial bonus to jump checks.
Feel no Fear - Hyppys rarely have this feeling some call "fear" though sometimes are "put off" by a dragon flying overhead, but it is a slight dampening on their day. Hyppys have a +4 bonus on all saves verse fear.

Lesser Mooli Racial Traits
Ability Scores - +2 Str, -2 Dex
Type Outsider [Native, Earth]
Size Medium
Land Speed 20ft
Burrow Speed 10ft
Darkvision 60ft
Earth Affinity - Mooli are most comfortable when in enclosed spaces giving them +4 bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks while underground.

So, what do you think of the lesser versions?

Daracaex
2007-11-12, 12:32 AM
Lesser or not, if the Fliniks have wings made of fire, shouldn't they have a large penalty to hide checks?

DracoDei
2007-11-12, 07:52 AM
Depends on if they can turn them off or not...

togapika
2007-11-12, 09:09 AM
Imagine a Hyppy with TOB levels and the Tiger Claw Discipline....
Nasty!

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-12, 10:22 AM
Lesser or not, if the Fliniks have wings made of fire, shouldn't they have a large penalty to hide checks?

I think being the center of light will provide a large enough penalty on its own.

Edit: Oh, and they can't turn off the wings and anyway, if they could they are too proud of them to do so.

Kyace
2007-11-12, 12:13 PM
A couple of suggestions.

First, the lesser Fliniks have two wing natural attacks, iirc, unless you say otherwise are considered the primary attack and thus they can make them both at full BAB in a full attack. At lvl 1. Appears a bit too strong. You might consider making both wing attacks secondary attacks, which gives them a -5 penalty on attack rolls. (The rules for Nat attacks are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons).)

For lesser Hyppys... *coughs* The-wonderful-thing-about-hyppys are-that-hyppys-are-wonderful-things. Their-tops-are-made-out-of-rubber, their-bottoms-are-made-out-of-springs. *mimes straightening a tie* as you said, the jumping is basically the one thing they are good at and they don't appear to have any real secondary strengths, but they don't seem overpowered. The average lvl 1 human commoner can long-jump 5', 10' with a running start. The average lvl 1 hyppy can jump out 20', 25' easy if they put ranks in it. Other than surprising a DM by jumping over traps and foes at random, it doesn't look too bad.

Lesser Mooli... hmm... I can't recall a LA +0 race with a burrowing speed to compare them to. As medium creatures with 20' speed, you might consider taking a page from the dwarf handbook and give them ability to wear armor without slowing down.

Lesser... no wait you missed water. :) Eh, a swim speed is pretty boring and pretty much already been done to death with the environmental races.

For the full Flinik, Hyppys and Mooli, I'm curious why you gave two of the three races movement modes AND natural attacks but not the third.

For a reference point, D&D's generic LA +1 race with an unusual movement is the merfolk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/merfolk.htm). They have +2 to three stats (Dex, Con and Cha), a 50' swim speed, a 5' land speed and nothing else. Hyppy look pretty balanced (if a tad weak) compared to the merfolk but Flinik and Mooli both look too good. Nat attacks are basically free attacks when you full attack so it never hurts to have them. You might consider why you are giving them Natural attacks and see if you can work it some other way, like letting the Flinik do unarmed attacks with its wings for fire instead of nonlethal bludgeoning.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-12, 12:24 PM
A couple of suggestions.

First, the lesser Fliniks have two wing natural attacks, iirc, unless you say otherwise are considered the primary attack and thus they can make them both at full BAB in a full attack. At lvl 1. Appears a bit too strong. You might consider making both wing attacks secondary attacks, which gives them a -5 penalty on attack rolls. (The rules for Nat attacks are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons).)
I made the wings secondary attacks, though it's still a little strong, I might add a drawback of some sort...

For lesser Hyppys... *coughs* The-wonderful-thing-about-hyppys are-that-hyppys-are-wonderful-things. Their-tops-are-made-out-of-rubber, their-bottoms-are-made-out-of-springs. *mimes straightening a tie* as you said, the jumping is basically the one thing they are good at and they don't appear to have any real secondary strengths, but they don't seem overpowered. The average lvl 1 human commoner can long-jump 5', 10' with a running start. The average lvl 1 hyppy can jump out 20', 25' easy if they put ranks in it. Other than surprising a DM by jumping over traps and foes at random, it doesn't look too bad.
I think they are the weakest of the bunch, I might give them some other minor skill boost or something...

Lesser Mooli... hmm... I can't recall a LA +0 race with a burrowing speed to compare them to. As medium creatures with 20' speed, you might consider taking a page from the dwarf handbook and give them ability to wear armor without slowing down.
I removed the claw attacks and am considering dropping burrow speed to 5ft. I don't want them to be dwarves.

Lesser... no wait you missed water. :) Eh, a swim speed is pretty boring and pretty much already been done to death with the environmental races.
Actually, for the campaign I'm using this guys in I'm using the Globbles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62986), I might be able to make a lesser version, but I'm not sure...

For the full Flinik, Hyppys and Mooli, I'm curious why you gave two of the three races movement modes AND natural attacks but not the third.
Hm, good point. I guess I just couldn't think of a natural attack for the Hyppys.

For a reference point, D&D's generic LA +1 race with an unusual movement is the merfolk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/merfolk.htm). They have +2 to three stats (Dex, Con and Cha), a 50' swim speed, a 5' land speed and nothing else. Hyppy look pretty balanced (if a tad weak) compared to the merfolk but Flinik and Mooli both look too good. Nat attacks are basically free attacks when you full attack so it never hurts to have them. You might consider why you are giving them Natural attacks and see if you can work it some other way, like letting the Flinik do unarmed attacks with its wings for fire instead of nonlethal bludgeoning.
That's a good idea...

Eleven
2007-11-12, 07:13 PM
These are absolutely awesome. make more.:smallamused:

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-12, 07:18 PM
These are absolutely awesome. make more.:smallamused:

Thanks! Have you checked out the Globbles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62986) yet? They're even better! I love making races so I've got a bunch that I haven't posted. If you're interested in my passed projects, check out the stuff in the link to my homebrew.

Also, if you have a unique idea or possible source (such as a neat mythological race) I'd love to tackle it!

Sonofaspectre
2007-12-04, 11:59 PM
You know, Tatarus, I was just looking at making a Mole-like race with a burrowing speed. I like the Lesser Mooli, but I do have a suggestion for them.

The idea I was kicking around was a small-sized race that didn't get -2 STR. How do you think this looks?

Mooli
* -2 Int (Mooli are simple-minded, or as my wife put it, had tunnel vision.)
* Small-sized, with all normal benefits
* Landspeed 20'
* Burrowing speed 10'
* Dwarf-like ability to carry whatever, but get no slower
* Clawed hands: Mooli with Improved Unarmed Strike always deal Slashing damage.
Simple natured: Mooli take what life throws at them in stride, giving them a +2 to Will Saves.
Favored class: Cleric?

Hmm? If they need a little more punch, throw in Powerful Build, give them an LA +1 and call it a day.us

wadledo
2007-12-05, 02:53 AM
For a bit of Hyppys love, you could give them a bonus against Fear, it seems to fit the almost lemming like qualities you have now.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-05, 04:18 PM
For a bit of Hyppys love, you could give them a bonus against Fear, it seems to fit the almost lemming like qualities you have now.

Sounds like a good idea, +4 to resist fear doesn't sound to bad.

You know, Tatarus, I was just looking at making a Mole-like race with a burrowing speed. I like the Lesser Mooli, but I do have a suggestion for them.

The idea I was kicking around was a small-sized race that didn't get -2 STR. How do you think this looks?

Mooli
* -2 Int (Mooli are simple-minded, or as my wife put it, had tunnel vision.)
* Small-sized, with all normal benefits
* Landspeed 20'
* Burrowing speed 10'
* Dwarf-like ability to carry whatever, but get no slower
* Clawed hands: Mooli with Improved Unarmed Strike always deal Slashing damage.
Simple natured: Mooli take what life throws at them in stride, giving them a +2 to Will Saves.
Favored class: Cleric?

Hmm? If they need a little more punch, throw in Powerful Build, give them an LA +1 and call it a day.us

Well, your version goes in a different direction than mine, however it does seem balanced though you could drop the -2 Int and it wouldn't be overpowered.

mikeejimbo
2007-12-05, 05:20 PM
If you wanted to drop the Mooli burrowing speed, why not make it equal to land speed? It's probably unrealistic, but still cool.

And for the Hyppys, if you wanted to give them a natural attack, you could give them a kick sort of thing. They seem rather rabbit-like, after all, and rabbits can have a pretty strong kick.

I also wanted to mention that I think they're awesome. I like how they're kind of humanoid, but still a lot different from the main classes. Like, which of those have tails?

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-05, 06:00 PM
If you wanted to drop the Mooli burrowing speed, why not make it equal to land speed? It's probably unrealistic, but still cool.

And for the Hyppys, if you wanted to give them a natural attack, you could give them a kick sort of thing. They seem rather rabbit-like, after all, and rabbits can have a pretty strong kick.

I also wanted to mention that I think they're awesome. I like how they're kind of humanoid, but still a lot different from the main classes. Like, which of those have tails?

Read carefully:

The Hyppys - Natural jumpers, the Hyppys love the feel of the breeze and thrills of dangerous jumps. They seek the most dangerous cliffs and other heights and the more deaths that have happened there, the better. Fearless and nimble, the Hyppys look very much like rabbits with humanoid features. They are covered in think fur ranging from white to black and from red to brown. Their coats are usually patterned with spots though solid color coats are not uncommon. The Hyppys's most defining feature are their legs which are large and powerful. Their faces look humanoid but long ears flop behind their head and a long bushy tail giving them a funny look.

[snip]

The Mooli - A race of aloof and proud burrowers, the Mooli can be found in great cave complexes and mines. The Mooli look very rodent like, standing like a slouched human, they have a short tough coat of fur almost always dark brown in color, though black coats have been known to exist. The feet of a Mooli are flat, making them awkward when walking, but their arms hang all the way to the ground and end in over-sized hands complete with great claws which they use to dig through the earth. Their faces are humanoid though squat and two short, blunt upper fangs can usually be seen. Other rodent like features include a very short slick tail and stubby, upright ears.

mikeejimbo
2007-12-05, 07:25 PM
Sorry, let me clarify:

Which of the core races have tails? I know these do, that was just one detail that I liked.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-06, 10:24 AM
Sorry, let me clarify:

Which of the core races have tails? I know these do, that was just one detail that I liked.

Oh, right. So, none of them. I personally like tails, in fact one of the races a made for a campaign (not one I posted) is a humanoid tiger that's really buff and they love their tails. They would rather die than have their tails removed and normally commit suicide if it gets cut off unless they can reattach it soon.