PDA

View Full Version : Will the Giant ever publish Thran as a roleplay setting?

Tibbius
2021-04-28, 09:02 AM
I understand it was just a design exercise, but the results had a lot of potential as a fun setting to play in. On this forum I screwed around with different rule sets for implementing it, but overall it seems like a project that should be fulfilled by its originator rather than a random forum-ite.

Will there be (ever) a move in that direction? I would vote for Barbarians of Lemuria as a good system for implementing the setting.

Batcathat
2021-04-28, 10:30 AM
I don't think the Giant often answers questions on the forum, maybe you should try submitting it to one of his Patreon question thingies?

Personally, I'd guess it's very unlikely but that answer is about 99.2 percent personal gut feeling so don't take it too seriously. :smalltongue:

KillianHawkeye
2021-04-28, 04:07 PM
At this point, I would not expect The Giant to produce any non-OOTS content until after OOTS has ended (and not likely for a while after that).

Chauncymancer
2021-04-30, 11:18 PM
As part of a mid 2000's agreement between Rich and the WotC, Thran may never be published for money so long as Wizards continues to exist. Wizards bought the option to publish Thran when they were considering making it an official setting, but instead decided to publish Eberron. They have never released that option.

Bohandas
2021-05-01, 11:06 AM
Hypothetically he could release a knockoff that's largely the same but with all the names and other brand identity changed

quinron
2021-05-04, 08:49 PM
As part of a mid 2000's agreement between Rich and the WotC, Thran may never be published for money so long as Wizards continues to exist. Wizards bought the option to publish Thran when they were considering making it an official setting, but instead decided to publish Eberron. They have never released that option.

Thran isn't the setting that Rich submitted for the contest; it's the one he was making for the "New World" series of articles that used to be on the site. The WotC-sealed contest submission is a different property.

Anonymouswizard
2021-05-05, 05:15 AM
Thran isn't the setting that Rich submitted for the contest; it's the one he was making for the "New World" series of articles that used to be on the site. The WotC-sealed contest submission is a different property.

Then I suspect that he might potentially start work on it again after OotS has wrapped up in a couple of years (or so). But as part of the point of the articles was advice on (D&D) campaign setting building I wouldn't be surprised if we get the existing articles plus one or two more reformatted instead of a full campaign setting book.

Although it's also worth noting that Thran isn't for any 'current' RPGs, and d20 Modern doesn't really maintain a strong fanbase in the easy that 3.X does. It's a pretty make reason why he might limit it to just continuing the articles if he continues it at all.

But Thran is over a decade old at this point. If Rich is like any of the other creatives I know, or even me with my homebrew, he probably doesn't have an overly fond view of it. It doesn't have to be hate, it could just be that he's not interested in that kind of world anymore, But theres likely elements he'd want to salvage if he wrote another setting, I'm b guessing that the Gnome focus and Sun/Moon religion might survive.

Taevyr
2021-05-05, 02:48 PM
Come to think of it, is there any way to access those articles on worldbuilding and such on the current forum? I remember them being useful for my own campaign setting, a while back.

I mean, I guess I could use Wayback, but that seems needlessly complicated if they're still here somewhere.

KillianHawkeye
2021-05-06, 01:06 PM
Come to think of it, is there any way to access those articles on worldbuilding and such on the current forum? I remember them being useful for my own campaign setting, a while back.

I mean, I guess I could use Wayback, but that seems needlessly complicated if they're still here somewhere.

They were taken away during a site update a few years ago, and AFAIK their return in some other fashion is planned but still pending.