PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Magic Item Decisions

nickl_2000
2021-04-28, 09:27 AM
As a major quest reward from in the campaign I am playing the good guy NPC has given our PCs either an uncommon armor, uncommon helm, or uncommon weapon.

We have
Paladin Tank - Some Sorc levels, sword and board, massive (I mean massive) AC.
Celestial Tome Warlock - Has moderately armored, decent AC, fights EB or GFB Shilleligh as needed
Arcane Trickster 4/ War Wizard 4 (me)- Currently rocking a Short Sword of Vengeance, Gloves of Thievery, and Helm of Comprehend Languages.

My play style is battlefield control with environmental effects (web mostly), and then hopping in an out of combat with Green Flame Blade sneak attacks and bonus action disengages. I don't get hit excessively, but I've been knocked down/out enough to want more AC.

We just hit level 8, which gives me an ASI/Feat. I'm currently 18 Dex, 13 Con, and 16 Int. My original plan was to go +2 Dex at level 8 and resilient Con at the next level. However, with seeing the new Serpent Scale Armor from Candlekeep, it made me think things through.

Non-Attunement

This is scale armor that allows +5 bonus AC from Dex and doesn't impose Disadvantage on stealth checks

Where am I going with this... Basically, should I take Moderately Armored as my ASI to get a shield, +1 Dex, and be able to wear this armor (nets me +3 AC right now and more later on)? Or should I pick up an magical shortbow to get a bonus on ranged attacks and damage and continue to 20 Dex? I will be banishing the creature in the Shortsword of Vengeance in my next downtime, so I can use other weapons effectively once again.

Magic items are buyable and will be able to pick up a magical shortbow at another time if I choose to do so, I don't know about the armor though.

sayaijin
2021-04-29, 11:14 AM
If you hadn't already multiclassed into wizard, I would have had you multiclass into cleric for this item - specifically peace cleric.

You're probably better off taking the ranged weapon and staying at range.

nickl_2000
2021-04-29, 11:51 AM
If you hadn't already multiclassed into wizard, I would have had you multiclass into cleric for this item - specifically peace cleric.

You're probably better off taking the ranged weapon and staying at range.

Yup, he doesn't have the Wisdom for a Cleric dip (nor the personality). I think you are right, just stick with range and don't overcomplicate it.

arnin77
2021-04-29, 01:06 PM
That is a crazy item though. If you were a Ranger I’d say knock over everyone in your path to get it. It’s basically studded leather +2 which is very rare.

However, you could get a headband of intellect for better Int saves and spell DC, Elven or Winged boots, cloak or protection or manta ray, or a stone of good luck instead.

Seems like a heavy investment for you to get that armor when you’re set up for resilient con and also have access to things like shield and absorb elements, arcane deflection, uncanny dodge at rogue 5 and evasion at rogue 7.