PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder (Spheres of Power/Might) Applying the Alchemy-Implanted template to PCs

AsuraKyoko
2021-04-28, 01:21 PM
The Gravecaller's Handbook for Spheres of Power introduced the Alchemy-Implanted template, which allows you to implant an alchemical item or potion into a creature with a DC 30 Heal check

Alchemy-Implanted (CR +0)

Acquired/Inherited Template Acquired
Simple Template Yes
Useable with Summons No
Creatures with the alchemy-implanted template can use the implanted substance, sometimes with explosive results.

This template may be added to any creature with a procedure that requires 1 hour and a successful DC 30 Heal check, expending one alchemical item or potion as part of the procedure.

A creature cannot gain this template again until the previous implanted item (even if destroyed) is removed with a DC 30 Heal check. Failing the check to either implant or remove the item deals 4d6 points of damage to the creature.

Weaknesses: The alchemy-implanted gains the unstable weakness.

Unstable (Ex) The implanted item is fragile. Whenever the alchemy-implanted is subject to a critical hit, there is a 10% chance the alchemy-implanted immediately uses the implanted item as described in the implanted special ability. This chance goes up by 5% each time it occurs.

Special Abilities: The alchemy-implanted gains the following special abilities. Save DCs are equal to the implanted alchemical item’s save DC, unless otherwise noted.

Implanted (Ex) When an alchemy-implanted creature is created, the creator expends one alchemical item or potion as part of the creation process, such as a mundane alchemical item, Alchemy sphere formulae, alchemist’s bomb, or a compound, potion, or instilled liquid. If the implanted item is detonated or used, the alchemy-implanted creature loses any effects of this template until the item is removed from their body with a DC 30 Heal check as described above.

The alchemy-implanted creature gains abilities depending on the item used:

Implanted Splash Weapon: If the implanted item is a splash weapon, the alchemical-implanted deals an additional 1d6 points of damage of a type dealt by the splash weapon (if any) with its natural attacks, or may inflict 1d6 points on damage to itself as a swift action to coat a weapon it wields with the splash weapon’s fluids, oils or other substances, adding this additional damage to that weapon for the next minute.
As an immediate action, the alchemy-implanted may make a melee touch attack against a target within its natural reach and detonate the implanted splash weapon. The alchemy-implanted is reduced to 0 hit points, exploding with the effects of the implanted item. If the melee touch attack is successful, treat the target as if they were hit by the splash weapon normally and affect any other creatures, excluding the alchemically-implanted, in the splash weapon’s radius as normal. If the alchemical-implanted dies, the splash weapon is detonated automatically, centered on its space. Exploding this way mangles the corpse, making it difficult to reanimate without repairing the body first (such as with the Death sphere Corpse Manipulation talent).
Other Implanted Alchemicals and Potions: For any other implanted item, such as a Salve or Panacea (formulae) or a potion, the alchemy-implanted may expend the item to use it on a creature within its natural reach as a standard action or on itself as a swift action.

Source is the Spheres of Power wiki

Now, It's pretty clear that this template can be applied to just about anything (including incorporeal creatures, amusingly enough, though that's likely unintended), and it could provide some pretty nice utility to use it on your party members. At minimum, it would allow you to implant a Salve that can be used as a swift action, with the added benefit of there being a chance of the item getting used automatically if you get critically hit, and there are a lot of other cool items that can be implanted, too. Many of the Formulae from the Alchemy sphere are worth considering, such as Panacea, Focusing Formula, and Universal Alcohol.

This does bring me to several questions:

How does the first ability under Implanted (Ex) work? Is the extra damage on natural attacks a constant effect that lasts until the implanted item is used? If so, that seems like a really cheap way to give a boost to a natural-weapon using creature, with the somewhat low risk of randomly exploding if you get crit.
The first ability also allows you to spend a swift action and take a little bit of damage to coat a weapon for a minute. Does this constitute "using" the item? My gut instinct says that it does, but if so, then the Unstable weakness becomes ambiguous, since it seems to be implying that the self-destruct effect is what "using" the item does. If it doesn't count as using the item, this could also be a rather decent power boost to weapon users. (Though, even if it does count as using the item, it's still a decent amount of damage for essentially free.)
The Unstable weakness triggers when the creature is critically hit. Does this apply to creatures that are immune to crits? RAW, I would guess that the answer is no, but it would make sense if it still did, since crit immunity is usually due to a lack of weak points, and an implanted bomb certainly seems like a weak point to me.
What exactly constitutes a "Splash Weapon" here? The Pathfinder definition is:
A splash weapon is a ranged weapon that breaks on impact, splashing or scattering its contents over its target and nearby creatures or objects.
Obviously things like Alchemist's Fire and Tanglefoot bags are, but what about smoke bombs, or the various Powders (Flash, Itching, Sneezing)? What about Fuse Grenades, which explode but don't really "scatter their contents", and I don't see them applying extra damage to attacks?

I'm also wondering what the ideal splash weapon to implant in a creature would be. On the one hand, going with something really basic would be safer if you are near allies when you get crit, since it won't deal them a bunch of damage, but on the other hand, since you are excluded from the effects of the blast, it might be an argument for putting the strongest bomb in that you can, since it will be more likely to clear away enemies from you, allowing you to get away a lot more easily.

Generally, though, this seems like an interesting option, and an interesting tool for Scholars or other Alchemy-using characters. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

SangoProduction
2021-04-29, 11:56 AM
1) Yes, it is a completely passive boost to natural attack users.
2) It's different use.
3)
Immunity to critical hits works a little differently. When a creature immune to critical hits is critically hit by a Strike or other attack that deals damage, it takes normal damage instead of double damage. This does not make it immune to any other critical success effects of other actions that have the attack trait (such as Grapple and Shove).
So it is still crit, it simply doesn't take the multiplied damage. But effects dependent upon being crit (like Flaming Burst) still function.
4) The powder and bombs are splash weapons as well. In general, if it's a nonmagical AoE which is not a scatter weapon or a cleave, then it's a splash weapon.

AsuraKyoko
2021-04-29, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the answers, I didn't realize that effects like Flaming Burst still triggered against crit-immune creatures. I have a clarification question, though: Would using the ability to take damage and apply the bonus to your weapon consume the item, then? I could easily see it go both ways on this, though if I were to choose, I would probably say that it doesn't, for a couple of reasons. Namely, it matches how natural weapon attacks don't consume the item, and also it gives the martials who are crazy brave enough to use this a nice bonus to damage.

4) The powder and bombs are splash weapons as well. In general, if it's a nonmagical AoE which is not a scatter weapon or a cleave, then it's a splash weapon.

I figured that was the case, but the definition was specific enough that I wasn't certain. That being said, as a DM, I might rule that certain ones (like perhaps the smoke bomb) would function as the other type of alchemical item, since it's the sort of thing that's more defensive. It would probably have to be on a case-by-case basis, though.

That aside, I just had an idea for a Crazy Cat Lady-style character that uses undead (or living) bomb-implanted cats as thrown "weapons". The template would give them an appreciable damage boost, and they would self-destruct on death, which is a nasty surprise for anyone fighting them. Cats have very low HD, so they are efficient for Death's undead control limit, and you don't really need them to survive for long, since they require so little investment.

icefractal
2021-04-29, 04:10 PM
That is pretty nice for natural weapon types, but ouch. Well, not a problem if you're so fragile that a crit would have killed you anyway, I guess.
For others, the Mettle aegis (5 + CL bonus against critical threat confirmation) would be very applicable.

AsuraKyoko
2021-04-29, 09:18 PM
Ooh, that's a good idea for avoiding the drawback