View Full Version : Rules Q&A Distracting Attack ACF

Zarvistic
2021-04-28, 01:43 PM
I am looking for opinions on this interaction. The ranger acf from PH2 and the feat Backstab from Dragon 340: would the ranger be able to use the backstab feat with ranged attacks through the distracting attack feature? Do you think it works by the rules and if not, would you still allow it as a DM?

Beginning at 4th level, whenever you hit an enemy with a weapon attack (whether melee or ranged), that enemy is considered flanked by you for the purpose of adjudicating your allies' attacks. For example, if your rogue ally attacked that enemy, not only would she gain a +2 bonus on her melee attack roll but she could also add her sneak attack damage to a successful melee attack.

This flanked condition lasts until either the enemy is attacked by one of your allies or until the start of your next turn, whichever comes first. This is an extraordinary ability.

This ability has no effect on creatures that can't be flanked.

Once per round, you may make an attack of opportunity against an opponent you flank who attacks a target other than you.

Particle_Man
2021-04-28, 01:55 PM
So basically it adds up to one free attack per round if you hit, using your attack of opportunity. If I allowed dragon magazine feats at all, I think I would allow it. It seems like the rogue special ability that allows one free attack per round, using your attack of opportunity, if someone else hits.

PanosIs
2021-04-28, 01:59 PM
The only interesting bit is that this works with ranged weapons at any range.

Darg
2021-04-28, 02:25 PM
If the text uses "allies" you count as your own ally. Since an AoO is an attack and the text uses "allies" for adjudicating attacks, it is RAW legal. The only issue is that AoOs are specifically melee attacks. So while you may trigger distracting attack with your ranged weapon, you have to make a melee attack to benefit from the AoO.

Biggus
2021-04-28, 07:33 PM
If the text uses "allies" you count as your own ally.

What book does it say that in?

Necroticplague
2021-04-28, 08:30 PM
What book does it say that in?

Players' Handbook Core Rulebook 1 v3.5, p. 304

ally: A creature friendly to you. In most cases, references to “allies” include yourself.