PDA

View Full Version : Index [3.5] Per Encounter Abilities

Thurbane
2021-04-28, 06:49 PM
I fell like I've started this before, but it would be far too old to resurrect...

So, ToB is probably the most well known source of classes with "per encounter" abilities, but I was was wondering what other sources there are, especially in books released before ToB.

Barbarian Rage is a per encounter ability from memory (as well as daily restrictions).

Factotum and Inspiration (although I'm pretty sure that came after ToB).

What else is out there?

Cheers - T

Barbarian - Rage [most Rage based classes also work the same way]
Factotum - Inspiration
Hellreaver - Holy Fury
Skill Tricks

Doctor Despair
2021-04-28, 07:01 PM
Am I remembering that Skill Tricks were per encounter?

Aleolus
2021-04-28, 07:49 PM
They are. As are certain Soulmelds from MoI

Aracor
2021-04-28, 07:51 PM
The binder has powers per five rounds. Not exactly per encounter, but not quite spammable, either.

nedz
2021-04-30, 03:42 PM
Abilities which are 1/hour (etc.) are effectively 1/encounter.

loky1109
2021-04-30, 06:00 PM
Iaijutsu duel.
Knowledge devotion
Duel of Wills (Intimidate use from ToB)
Decipher strategy (Sense Motive use from S&F)

Thurbane
2021-04-30, 08:58 PM
The binder has powers per five rounds. Not exactly per encounter, but not quite spammable, either.

Abilities which are 1/hour (etc.) are effectively 1/encounter.

Thanks, and good points, but specifically looking for abilities that specify "per encounter" usage.

nedz
2021-05-01, 06:01 AM
Most ToB abilities are not per encounter, they are refreshable using a recovery mechanism.
There are a few which are: e.g. manoeuvres gained via Martial Study before you have a recovery mechanism.

Thunder999
2021-05-01, 10:17 AM
Archivist's dark knowledge is effectively 1/encounter since it's once per creature.

Remuko
2021-05-01, 02:09 PM
Most ToB abilities are not per encounter, they are refreshable using a recovery mechanism.
There are a few which are: e.g. manoeuvres gained via Martial Study before you have a recovery mechanism.

indeed. A warblade can theoretically use its maneuvers every other turn.

Darg
2021-05-01, 04:12 PM
indeed. A warblade can theoretically use its maneuvers every other turn.

They can use them every turn. You can use a swift action when you make a melee attack or a standard action if you don't want to or can't make a melee attack. 2 level dip in BSB gives you increased number of scenarios where you can use the swift action.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-05-01, 05:18 PM
They can use them every turn. You can use a swift action when you make a melee attack or a standard action if you don't want to or can't make a melee attack. 2 level dip in BSB gives you increased number of scenarios where you can use the swift action.

Not quite. You can't recover your maneuvers in a turn in which you used one, so even if you've got your swift action free you still have to have an off-turn to recover your maneuvers. So, once every 2 turns for using the same maneuver, at best.

If you're using White Raven Tactics on yourself, you could actually take both of those turns back-to-back in the same round, letting you use the same standard action maneuver every single round, but it's still technically every two turns; you're just breaking the action economy.

ChudoJogurt
2021-05-03, 05:13 PM
You could use swift-action boost (like Sudden Jump) every turn. It would be pointless, but you could do it.

nedz
2021-05-04, 05:56 PM
You could use swift-action boost (like Sudden Jump) every turn. It would be pointless, but you could do it.

Warblade recovery is a swift action.

Darg
2021-05-04, 09:42 PM
Warblade recovery is a swift action.

Swift as part of a melee attack. Standard if you don't want or can't attack. So technically you could continually use swifts.

Thurbane
2021-05-04, 09:50 PM
Long story short, I was wrong to categorize martial adept abilities as "per encounter"?

Only when you gain a maneuver by a feat it becomes per encounter, correct?

Darg
2021-05-04, 11:41 PM
You aren't wrong. The book calls them per encounter too. The martial adepts simply have unique ways of recovering them earlier.

Elves
2021-05-05, 12:43 AM
Swift as part of a melee attack. Standard if you don't want or can't attack. So technically you could continually use swifts.
It's a swift plus a standard.

Yeah, I'd say maneuvers without martial adept levels.

Darg
2021-05-05, 08:33 AM
It's a swift plus a standard.

Ok I see it. The word wrap got me to ignore the sentence structure.

nedz
2021-05-05, 06:48 PM
Long story short, I was wrong to categorize martial adept abilities as "per encounter"?

Martial study is complex. If you use it to acquire a manoeuvre when you don't have an initiator class then yes; however if you have levels in an initiator class then no.

RSGA
2021-05-05, 08:06 PM
If you want to get real technical and have some kind of absurd battle that is both manages to go on long enough yet have a full minute of essentially down time for a martial adept to not attack, initiate, or be targeted, then the technical proper answer is that they are one per minute of an encounter or per encounter.

calam
2021-05-05, 09:33 PM
Combat focus can only be gained once per encounter (specifically the first time you make a successful attack during an encounter) which makes combat strike once per encounter since it spends the focus.

Gorthawar
2021-05-11, 02:54 PM
Mad foam rager can be used once per rage which is only once per encounter.