PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to add cantrips to your Book of Shadows after creation?

thorr-kan
2021-04-28, 09:44 PM
Pact of the Tome grants 3 cantrips from any lists is nothing to sneeze at. But can you add any more to your Book of Shadows afterwards?

PhantomSoul
2021-04-28, 10:01 PM
I think just rituals (Book of Ancient Secrets invocation), unless there's a more recent invocation/rule. Which makes sense I suppose for cantrips! (You already end up with as many or more cantrips than the sorcerer and, uh, well, Eldritch Blast lol)

If you take Magic Initiate, you could fluff the cantrips as being in your Tome I suppose.

quindraco
2021-04-28, 10:41 PM
Pact of the Tome grants 3 cantrips from any lists is nothing to sneeze at. But can you add any more to your Book of Shadows afterwards?

Yes, but the RAW is stupid - Tasha's lets Warlocks change Pact Boons every time they get a Warlock ASI, and they can replace Pact Magic cantrips (so not the Tome ones). That means while you can freely just change your base cantrips, the Tome ones you need 8 levels to swap - first ASI you swap out to Blade or Chain, then second ASI you swap back to Tome and pick new cantrips (this doesn't cost the ASI, it's just when the swap happens).

That's so dumb I think any DM would just let you change the cantrips at each Warlock ASI, no muss, no fuss.

thorr-kan
2021-04-29, 04:50 PM
So you're limited to three cantrips. I figured, but it was worth asking.

Thanks, all.

PhantomSoul
2021-04-29, 05:23 PM
So you're limited to three cantrips. I figured, but it was worth asking.

Thanks, all.

To be fair, three is already a lot by (main class) cantrip standards, especially on top of a full load from the main class!

Bard: 2 cantrips total until L3, 3 cantrips total until L9
Cleric: 3 cantrips total until L3
Druid: 2 cantrips total until L3, 3 cantrips total until L9
(Eldritch Knight: 2 cantrip total until level 9, never more than 3 cantrips total)
Paladin: No cantrips
Ranger: No cantrips
(Arcane Trickster: 3 cantrips total until level 9)
Sorcerer: For once coming out ahead at always having 4+ cantrips
(Other) Warlock: 2 cantrips total until L3, 3 cantrips total until L9
Wizard: 2 cantrips total until L3, 3 cantrips total until L9

Getting three extra at level 3 means you jump to having end-game cantrip counts (without class restrictions for most of your cantrips!), you have as many cantrips as the level 20 cantrip class (sorcerer) at level 4, and you end the game with more cantrips than the cantrip class (without feat expenditure to add more and without counting invocations and patron benefits)!

It's a great feature without getting more cantrips later, and stealing cantrips from any list just makes it better!

. Shadowblade .
2021-04-29, 05:28 PM
maybe as quest rewards? ;)

HPisBS
2021-04-29, 08:08 PM
maybe as quest rewards? ;)

Yeah, as I recall, Princes of the Apocalypse included a way to learn Magic Stone as a reward (outside of normal leveling). But that had nothing to do with Warlocks in particular.

BloodSnake'sCha
2021-04-30, 02:39 AM
Yes, but the RAW is stupid - Tasha's lets Warlocks change Pact Boons every time they get a Warlock ASI, and they can replace Pact Magic cantrips (so not the Tome ones). That means while you can freely just change your base cantrips, the Tome ones you need 8 levels to swap - first ASI you swap out to Blade or Chain, then second ASI you swap back to Tome and pick new cantrips (this doesn't cost the ASI, it's just when the swap happens).

That's so dumb I think any DM would just let you change the cantrips at each Warlock ASI, no muss, no fuss.

Can't you just switch from pact of the tome to pact of the tome?
Nothing says you can change to a different instance the same pact.

thorr-kan
2021-04-30, 09:21 AM
Quest rewards are always a possibility.

And I realize the extra 3 puts me way above other classes number. But warlock. I've already got some power, how's about MOAR?

:smallcool:

Nod_Hero
2021-05-02, 09:40 PM

That's how we run it at our tables.

diplomancer
2021-05-03, 05:50 AM

Tables can do as they want, and, obviously, this does not break anything, so go ahead; but the rule says you can replace your pact boon with one of the feature's other options.

thorr-kan
2021-05-03, 02:38 PM
That's how we run it at our tables.

And even if you do this, you still only have 3 cantrips. You have not added any, because, new book of shadows.

BloodSnake'sCha
2021-05-04, 09:49 AM
Tables can do as they want, and, obviously, this does not break anything, so go ahead; but the rule says you can replace your pact boon with one of the feature's other options.
I miss the word other, thank you for the clarification (:

And even if you do this, you still only have 3 cantrips. You have not added any, because, new book of shadows.
I was sure you wanted different cantrips, not more.
You could always multiclass to any other caster to get more cantrips.

thorr-kan
2021-05-04, 12:47 PM
I miss the word other, thank you for the clarification (:

I was sure you wanted different cantrips, not more.
You could always multiclass to any other caster to get more cantrips.
Nope, whole point is to add cantrips to the Book of Shadows.

I know they're just cantrips, but there's so much versatility there that can be exploited once spell slots run out.

Segev
2021-05-04, 01:05 PM
Nope, whole point is to add cantrips to the Book of Shadows.

I know they're just cantrips, but there's so much versatility there that can be exploited once spell slots run out.

Maybe an Invocation that grants you 2 cantrips to it? Compare to Magic Initiate, it is lacking the 1st level spell, but keeps the "any list" versatility that Magic Initiate lacks.