PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rakshasic Tiefling Race Variant

P. G. Macer
2021-04-28, 11:05 PM
A rakshasic tiefling has a rakshasa for an ancestor. They look like anthropomorphic tigers (thankfully with normally configured hands), standing out even more than most tieflings on certain worlds.

Rakshasic tieflings share the Age, Darkvision, and Languages traits with the base PHB tiefling; they do not meet the prerequisite for the Barbed Hide feat.

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1, and your Charisma score increases by 2.
Alignment. Like all tieflings, rakshasic tieflings lack an innate predilection for evil; however, they do have a strong inclination for law instead of chaos.
Size. Rakshasic tieflings are significantly larger than most infernal tieflings. Your size is Medium; use the leonin base height, base weight, and multipliers when calculating your rakshasic tiefling’s height and weight.
Intrigue Dealer. You have proficiency in the Insight skill.
Infernal Arcana. You learn one cantrip chosen or rolled for from the Infernal Arcana table. Upon reaching 3rd level, choose or roll for one of the 1st-level spells from the table. You can cast that spell once with this trait, without needing material components, and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Upon reaching 5th level, choose or roll for one of the 2nd-level spells on the table. You can cast that spell once with this trait, and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. You can also cast these spells using any spell slots you have. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

d6
1st level
3rd level
5th level

mage hand
charm person
detect thoughts

mage hand
chromatic orb
detect thoughts

mage hand
detect magic
invisibility

minor illusion
disguise self
invisibility

minor illusion
hellish rebuke
suggestion

minor illusion
shield
suggestion

Tiger Claws. Your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. On a hit, they deal 1d4 + your Strength modifier in slashing damage, rather than the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.

My base template for the building of this racial variant was the Abyssal Tiefling Unearthed Arcana from the early days of 5e, which was part of my inspiration for the spell table, though I made the spell choice/roll permanent instead of changing every long rest for quality of life reasons. I also tried to mimic the innate spellcasting of 2nd-level and lower spells from the four different rakshasa statblocks I had access to for 5e: One in the Monster Manual, two in Eberron: Rising from the Last War, and one from Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. Every spell in the table comes from at least one of those monsters. My inspiration for the Insight skill was that all four rakshasas I observed had the skill, and I took influence from the leonin in the Theros book for the Size and claws. When I ran this through both Detect Balance and Detect Greater Balance, it came up as slightly on the weaker end, but I suspect that’s because I used the Standard Racial Spellcasting progression trait to represent Infernal Arcana; the sheer versatility involved likely improves its value greatly. The spells gained at 3rd level are still cast at 1st level despite half of them upscaling because I did the math and a free 2nd-level chromatic orb with no material component required was absurd, damage-wise. I’m still pretty new to homebrewing, so constructive criticism is appreciated, but try not to be too harsh please:smallredface:.

rferries
2021-04-29, 09:08 AM
I'm still too new to 5e to comment on balance, but certainly has a lot of flavour! Perhaps switch Insight for Deception though? Rakshashas are indeed adept at reading others, but trickery and manipulation are even more central to their identities IMHO.

LudicSavant
2021-04-29, 10:32 AM
The main thing that differentiates Tiefling balance from each other is how suitable spells are for their particular mechanic. Which is why you see a lot more Asmodeus and Levistus Tieflings than, say, Baalzebul Tieflings.

What makes the Asmodeus / Levistus spells good? Mostly that they're relevant at all levels. Chromatic Orb, for example, is only going to be a relevant use of an Action at low levels. But 3d10/save for half Fire Damage from Hellish Rebuke remains a relevant Reaction for the entire game for many characters. As does everything Darkness does.

P. G. Macer
2021-04-29, 02:38 PM
I'm still too new to 5e to comment on balance, but certainly has a lot of flavour! Perhaps switch Insight for Deception though? Rakshashas are indeed adept at reading others, but trickery and manipulation are even more central to their identities IMHO.

Interesting idea; the reasoning for Insight instead of Deception was that all four rakshasa stat blocks I had had proficiency in Insight, yet surprisingly enough that was not true for Deception. I’ll still consider this, though.

The main thing that differentiates Tiefling balance from each other is how suitable spells are for their particular mechanic. Which is why you see a lot more Asmodeus and Levistus Tieflings than, say, Baalzebul Tieflings.

What makes the Asmodeus / Levistus spells good? Mostly that they're relevant at all levels. Chromatic Orb, for example, is only going to be a relevant use of an Action at low levels. But 3d10/save for half Fire Damage from Hellish Rebuke remains a relevant Reaction for the entire game for many characters. As does everything Darkness does.

You raise good points. I was trying to get a nice, die-divisible number for all the spell levels, and I’ll admit that I have a soft spot for Chromatic Orb despite its flaws. I originally was worried that having the 1st-level spells be upcast to second level would have made chromatic orb too strong, but taking your feedback into mind I may change that so that it’s the swing option that’s extremely useful when you get it (especially since the material component is waived here), but peters off later. That also boosts Hellish Rebuke and Charm Person.