PDA

View Full Version : Is Counterspell on a Wizard an intelligence check?

nickl_2000
2021-04-29, 03:42 PM
So, were I to have Enhance Ability (Fox's Cunning) active, would I have advantage on Dispel Magic and Counterspell checks?

Keravath
2021-04-29, 04:03 PM
Yes (10 character limit)

LudicSavant
2021-04-29, 05:25 PM
So, were I to have Enhance Ability (Fox's Cunning) active, would I have advantage on Dispel Magic and Counterspell checks?

Yes.

Likewise, you can nerf someone else's Counterspell checks with stuff like Hex.

nickl_2000
2021-04-30, 07:15 AM
Yes.

Likewise, you can nerf someone else's Counterspell checks with stuff like Hex.

How about Reliable Talent? That wouldn't apply, correct?

Mastikator
2021-04-30, 07:18 AM

No. For reliable talent to apply you need to apply your proficiency bonus. You get it at level 11 rogue.
To apply your proficiency bonus you need 10 levels of wizard (abjuration).

You'd need 21 levels, or a gestalt character to apply Reliable Talent to Counterspell.

stoutstien
2021-04-30, 07:21 AM

Depends. As a general rule no because ability checks do not add your proficiency bonus which RT requires. If somehow you could add your proficiency bonus it would work but to my best knowledge there isn't any way to do that as of yet. Like the abjur wizard gets a feature at lv 10 but RT is rouge 11 so that's off the table.

My personal favorite is using hobgoblin's saving face as an abjur wizard.

Chronos
2021-05-01, 06:45 AM
Other options include Guidance (if you have enough foresight to cast it/get an ally to cast it within a minute of when you need it), Glibness (if you're a bard, and can spare a high-level slot for that), or bardic inspiration.

diplomancer
2021-05-01, 07:01 AM
It's UA, and deprecated UA at that, but the Wild Talent psionic feat works great if your DM let's you have it

Unoriginal
2021-05-01, 09:40 AM
Jack-of-All-Trades does apply to Counterspell, though.

As does the Star Druid's Calice constellation.

stoutstien
2021-05-01, 09:48 AM
Jack-of-All-Trades does apply to Counterspell, though.

As does the Star Druid's Calice constellation.

The star druid is pretty big. One of the few ways to set the minimum value on the die roll which is the largest factor.

Wizard_Lizard
2021-05-01, 09:58 AM
Not to mention Bardic dice...

Just Helping
2021-05-01, 10:05 AM
The short answer, as people have given above, is yes.

Counterspell (as well as Dispel Magic) is an Intelligence check, which is very fortunate for wizard counterspellers with the appropriate amount of Abjurer, Bard, CoS Druid, etc. multiclassing to augment it.

For example, an Abjurer Wizard 10 / Circle of Stars Druid 2 with the right Int score can Counterspell a ninth-level spell 100% of the time. With a third-level slot.