PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sane Magic Item Price List

GodofThunder555
2021-04-29, 04:27 PM
I found this thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?424243-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices

It does a good job of making the prices of magical items in 5e make a lot more sense. Trouble is, the thread is closed and can't be updated for all the new things that have happened since. Does anyone know if an update version of that thread exists?

Kane0
2021-04-29, 08:37 PM
I believe it can be found on DM guild

GodofThunder555
2021-04-30, 09:03 AM
I believe it can be found on DM guildIs that a sub-forum area or a different website entirely?

Argis13
2021-04-30, 02:48 PM
Here it is (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/205126/Discerning-Merchants-Price-Guide). Costs 2 bucks, but seems to be the thing you were looking for.

Yakk
2021-05-04, 09:45 AM
So, there are some systematic errors in it.

1. It values a +1 shield at the same price as +1 armor. The only thing that makes a +1 shield better than +1 armor is that you can stack the inferior shield on top of the armor. This decision makes shield builds suck.

2. It undervalues "army in my pocket". It at least admits to doing so. It values it based on "how much would it cost to hire this force", when being able to summon an army at-will as an action is insanely more useful.

3. It undervalues attunement. If there is a magic item shop, buying every attunement-free item becomes a no-brainer when players can afford +2 items.

4. It undervalues concentration. Every item that lets you cast a concentration spell, from a potion of speed to a cloak or ring of invisibility, is too cheap.

5. It compares prices items not in comparison to other items with the same restrictions, but using some absolute standard. So the instruments of the bards, for example, are all insanely expensive. No consideration for "this category of item is cheaper for class X intentionally" is used.

6. It assumes shinanigans. Ring of Spell Storing appears to be priced assuming you'll pass it around and provide everyone a familiar and a paladin steed, then handed to a non-spellcaster with concentration buffs stored in it.