PDA

View Full Version : Trading domain spell(s) for something else?

smetzger
2021-04-29, 07:23 PM
Is there anyway to trade away domain spells for something else? Even different spells?

I know you can trade the spell and ability away, but I want to keep the special ability...

Thurbane
2021-04-29, 07:35 PM
There's a feat Customize Domain, from Dragon Magazine, that lets you swap out some spells on your domain list.

There's the Substitute Domain spell that lets you swap out one domain for another for 1 day/level. Do note, however, that this also changes the special ability.

There's also various feats and class features that let you burn up memorized spells to power another ability.

Particle_Man
2021-04-29, 09:44 PM
One "sorta" method that might be a little extreme is to become a domain cleric (a la PHB II) since, in addition to having you switch out your spontaneous cures for spontaneous spells of a domain, *also* lets you prepare "cure" spells in your domain slots.

But if you really don't like your domain spells this might be a cure worse than the disease.

Another way around it might be to find ways to gain more domains, like cloistered cleric gives the knowledge domain (there are likely other ways, so you could "shop around" for domains with spell lists you admire). That way you could fill the domain slots with domain spells you like, which effectively gives you what you want.

Thurbane
2021-04-29, 11:42 PM
One "sorta" method that might be a little extreme is to become a domain cleric (a la PHB II) since, in addition to having you switch out your spontaneous cures for spontaneous spells of a domain, *also* lets you prepare "cure" spells in your domain slots.

Good call, I'd totally forgotten about that ACF.

Most of the other domain related ACFs I can find either involve losing the domain power (Divine Restoration, Positive Healing, True Daylight) or losing the domain altogether (Divine Magician).

In terms of items, the Raiment of the Four item set in the MIC lets you use your own spells to power spells from the items (with daily usage limits, but that doesn't matter since you're only getting one domain spell per spell level). For instance, you could use up a 1st level domain spells to cast Magic Missile, 3rd level spell to cast Fireball etc.

noce
2021-04-30, 03:16 AM
I want to keep the special ability...

If there is another domain with the same special ability, of if exists another domain with a better special ability, one way to do it is taking Heretic of the Faith feat.
It lets you pick a domain outside those granted by your deity, among other benefits.

smetzger
2021-04-30, 09:34 AM
In terms of items, the Raiment of the Four item set in the MIC lets you use your own spells to power spells from the items (with daily usage limits, but that doesn't matter since you're only getting one domain spell per spell level). For instance, you could use up a 1st level domain spells to cast Magic Missile, 3rd level spell to cast Fireball etc.

Were you thinking of a different item, Raiment of the Four doesn't do that

Anthrowhale
2021-04-30, 04:52 PM
If you are ready to spend a feat, then I'd suggest using Planar Touchstone[Catalogues of Enlightenment] to gain the domain ability and trade away the domain for the Divine Magician ACF. Picking the best {Abjuration, Necromancy, Divination} spell at each level is pretty good.

Thurbane
2021-04-30, 06:57 PM
Were you thinking of a different item, Raiment of the Four doesn't do that

Pretty sure I was thinking of the right item set, Raiment of the Four (MIC, p.203-205):

Gloves of the starry sky: 3/day spontaneously cast magic missile
Goggles of the golden sun: 3/day spontaneously cast fireball
Periapt of the sullen sea: 2/day spontaneously cast freedom of movement
Belt of the wide earth: 2/day spontaneously cast teleport

In addition, three times per day you can activate these gloves and sacrifice a prepared spell or spell slot of 1st level or higher to use magic missile (as the spell), using your own caster level rather than that of the gloves.
They have other effects as well, more when you have two or more pieces.