PDA

View Full Version : Free feats @ 1st level

Stattick
2021-04-30, 06:52 AM
I'm prepping to run a campaign. It's probably going to be pretty heavy on the dungeon crawl side of things, though that'll in part be determined by the PCs. It's going to be a mishmash of Keep on the Borderland, Temple of Elemental Evil, and some other stuff too. There's going to be a lot of ways for uncareful players to get their characters killed.

At any rate, I'm thinking about giving the PCs a free feat at first level. However, the choice will be from a cultivated list. I'm looking for feats that are useful, especially for a lot of dungeon delving, but tend to get overlooked or bypassed for feats that are stronger or more vital to popular builds. This is my tentative list, but wanted to run it by some others to see what they might add or subtract from this list if they were doing the same:

Athlete
Dungeon Delver
Healer
Inspiring Leader
Keen Mind
Observant
Tavern Brawler

stoutstien
2021-04-30, 06:57 AM
I'm prepping to run a campaign. It's probably going to be pretty heavy on the dungeon crawl side of things, though that'll in part be determined by the PCs. It's going to be a mishmash of Keep on the Borderland, Temple of Elemental Evil, and some other stuff too. There's going to be a lot of ways for uncareful players to get their characters killed.

At any rate, I'm thinking about giving the PCs a free feat at first level. However, the choice will be from a cultivated list. I'm looking for feats that are useful, especially for a lot of dungeon delving, but tend to get overlooked or bypassed for feats that are stronger or more vital to popular builds. This is my tentative list, but wanted to run it by some others to see what they might add or subtract from this list if they were doing the same:

Athlete
Dungeon Delver
Healer
Inspiring Leader
Keen Mind
Observant
Tavern Brawler

Healer, observant, and inspiring leader get overlooked? All of those are top tier material that stay relevant 1-20.

Waazraath
2021-04-30, 07:02 AM
Healer, observant, and inspiring leader get overlooked? All of those are top tier material that stay relevant 1-20.

Agree, definitely healer and inspiring leader; observant is a bit dm dependent, some use passive perception a lot more than others.

Additionally, I think there are lots of feats in other books (tasha's, xanathar's) that get overlooked / are relative low power as well, might consider including them as well.

sayaijin
2021-04-30, 07:05 AM
Is your goal to only have feats on the list that give them more roleplay and backstory potential? If so then there are a few from Tasha's that I think fit: Chef, Telepathic, Telekinetic.

If you want to help the characters get used to class features a little sooner, then any of the initiate feats work really well for that. As an example, if one player is playing an Eldritch knight, and you don't want to make them learning magic be part of the story, then giving them magic initiate helps smooth that out and give them a taste of casting at level 1.

EDIT: I'm just a stickler for always asking the question, "how did your character suddenly learn to start doing that?", and that's why I often like to start at level 3. I like in-game logic for how characters gain new abilities, but this often requires players seeking out spells to learn etc.

nickl_2000
2021-04-30, 07:08 AM
Alert
Athlete
Charger
Chef
Fighting Initiate
Grappler
Light/Moderately/Heavy Armored
Poisoner
Weapon Master

Corran
2021-04-30, 07:49 AM
Skulker is a good feat that would be particularly handy in dungeon crawling scenarios. I am mentioning it simply because IME it is a feat that many players overlook. If that's your experience too, maybe you should include and see if anyone picks it up. Might make for a pleasant surprise to see in play the value of an otherwise overlooked feat (assuming that's the case for your players too).

Bobthewizard
2021-04-30, 07:53 AM
Your list is fine. The others have some good suggestions too. I would open it up even more and let the players surprise you.

Instead of a short list of feats to choose from, just say no to the most common ones: SS, CBX, PAM, GWM, Res. CON, and Warcaster.

Then say for half feats, that you still can't exceed 17 total. If you don't add that, you'll just get a lot of half feats to round their primary to 18.

quindraco
2021-04-30, 10:16 AM

Athlete
Dungeon Delver
Healer
Inspiring Leader
Keen Mind
Observant
Tavern Brawler

Inspiring Leader is fantastic and Tavern Brawler is garbage, no matter how you look at them - the former is a huge pile of THP for the party, while the latter buffs STR or CON and then makes you proficient in weapons usually thrown with DEX.

Dungeon Delver is a wasted feat in a trapless world and clutch if there are wall to wall traps, so the reason it's usually skipped is PCs have no way to predict if the feat will be relevant to gameplay. You can predict it. Observant is the same way, particularly in session zero, because you can't trust a DM to even use the passive skill rules (my current one does not - we roll for everything). They're both reasonable examples of feats you might offer because you can know if they'll be helpful. You could also roll your own.

Alternatively, if you just want a more durable party, you could fix save proficiencies to be saner (there are only 9 save combinations anyway in the stock rules, so we already have duplicates across the core classes, like Barbarian and Fighter):

Give all full and half casters CON save proficiency, so they can concentrate on their damn spells, as their good save (leave their bad save alone), and let the two that already have this change their bad save as compensation:
Artificer, Sorcerer: CON and any bad save.
Druid, Wizard: INT/CON
Bard, Cleric, Paladin, Warlock: CHA/CON
Ranger: STR/CON
Martials are more varied, but their saves can also be patched up:
Barbarian, Fighter: STR/DEX
Monk: STR and pick any good save.
Rogue: DEX and pick any bad save.

micahaphone
2021-04-30, 11:29 AM
Personally I prefer a blacklist over a whitelist, with an explanation to my players. "I give a free feat at level 1, but I'd prefer to be one that's not solely combat focused. No GWM, no SS, no Lucky, please choose one that's interesting and perhaps says something interesting about your character". Let players know the intent, see what they come up with, the DM has final say over the choice. This opens up a lot more options.

nickl_2000
2021-04-30, 12:00 PM
Tavern Brawler is garbage, no matter how you look at them - the former is a huge pile of THP for the party, while the latter buffs STR or CON and then makes you proficient in weapons usually thrown with DEX..

So, I have a build running around in the back of my head that actually really appreciates Tavern Brawler. If you are using the unarmed fighting style, this is a half-feat that also gives you a consistent use of your bonus action to grapple. Put on a Rune Knight Fighter, that's nothing to scoff at.

Outside of a grappler build though, I will agree with you 100%

Stattick
2021-05-03, 12:02 PM
Busy couple of day, but getting back at this.

Well, I haven't noticed anyone in any of games I've been in take any of the above. Maybe Observant has been taken, and I didn't notice. What I've seen, is that people seem to prefer taking Alert to Observant. But I dunno, maybe I play with wierdos. :smallbiggrin:

Is your goal to only have feats on the list that give them more roleplay and backstory potential? If so then there are a few from Tasha's that I think fit: Chef, Telepathic, Telekinetic.

Mostly. I'm looking for stuff that isn't strictly combat related, but all the above you listed as well. I want feats that are more about what characters did before they started killing things for profit. The next game I'm planning on running is all about killing things for profit, so I'm wanting to shine some light on the character's pre-murder-hobo life. Or the less impressive combat feats, that no one seems to take.

Hmm.... several suggestions for just opening it up by saying, "Take a free feat at 1st, something that isn't strickly combat related, something that says something about your character, so no SS, CBX, Lucky, etc..." I will give this some thought.

sayaijin
2021-05-03, 01:06 PM

Well, I haven't noticed anyone in any of games I've been in take any of the above. Maybe Observant has been taken, and I didn't notice. What I've seen, is that people seem to prefer taking Alert to Observant. But I dunno, maybe I play with wierdos. :smallbiggrin:

Mostly. I'm looking for stuff that isn't strictly combat related, but all the above you listed as well. I want feats that are more about what characters did before they started killing things for profit. The next game I'm planning on running is all about killing things for profit, so I'm wanting to shine some light on the character's pre-murder-hobo life. Or the less impressive combat feats, that no one seems to take.

Hmm.... several suggestions for just opening it up by saying, "Take a free feat at 1st, something that isn't strickly combat related, something that says something about your character, so no SS, CBX, Lucky, etc..." I will give this some thought.

Be aware that your elves might try to take Elven Accuracy for their free feat. I've had DM's give a free racial feat, and elves always take EA.

nickl_2000
2021-05-03, 01:16 PM

I've been in 6 different campaigns in my group, we have had 2 PCs with the healer feat, and it made a massive difference.

micahaphone
2021-05-03, 01:31 PM

Have you played with these people before? If you know them and trust them, I'd encourage that open direct communication. Explaining your reasoning ("you get a feat to help represent who you were before joining the monster hunting brigade") will hopefully guide their decisions towards more flavorful choices or at least to take the time to think about how this decision will shape their RP.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-05-03, 03:45 PM

Maybe you are playing with people who are more focused on their own character than the group. Inspirational leader is great, with the exception being if someone has a class that dishes out temporary hp at a similar level. Even then it's probably still decent if you have more than one combat per SR.

Cybren
2021-05-03, 06:43 PM
So, I have a build running around in the back of my head that actually really appreciates Tavern Brawler. If you are using the unarmed fighting style, this is a half-feat that also gives you a consistent use of your bonus action to grapple. Put on a Rune Knight Fighter, that's nothing to scoff at.

Outside of a grappler build though, I will agree with you 100%

It also allows thief rogues who can throw grenades as a bonus action to add their proficiency bonus to the attack roll, but that's kind of a marginal bonus on something you'd take because you have athletics expertise anyway.

Stattick
2021-05-04, 02:29 AM
Have you played with these people before? If you know them and trust them, I'd encourage that open direct communication. Explaining your reasoning ("you get a feat to help represent who you were before joining the monster hunting brigade") will hopefully guide their decisions towards more flavorful choices or at least to take the time to think about how this decision will shape their RP.

I'm prepping the game for something to try to run after I move across the country. I'm hoping to gather together some of my old friend in that area to game with, but I haven't gamed with any of them in over 20 years.

Thorshammer
2021-05-05, 01:13 PM
We did something similar, and it was DM approval for the free feat. However I think Ill change it and give the PCs skill master instead. My thinking it represents skills the PC had outside of their profession, like a hobby or a innate talent.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-06, 03:51 AM
Maybe include some of the race-specific feats in Xanathar's?

In my games, everyone can take a bonus feat at 1st level, but if they do they can't multiclass. It's not from a limited list.

Chad.e.clark
2021-05-06, 05:16 AM
Maybe include some of the race-specific feats in Xanathar's?

In my games, everyone can take a bonus feat at 1st level, but if they do they can't multiclass. It's not from a limited list.

Ooooh, I like that idea: free feat or ability to mutliclass.

BloodSnake'sCha
2021-05-06, 05:56 AM
I don't limit the level 1 feat I give, most players I know will take a feat that makes stuff more interesting.

I will add to the list skilled, skulker, skill expert, actor and I am not sure if there are more feats focused on skills that are not in the list already.

Verble
2021-05-08, 01:06 AM
I don't limit the level 1 feat I give, most players I know will take a feat that makes stuff more interesting.

I will add to the list skilled, skulker, skill expert, actor and I am not sure if there are more feats focused on skills that are not in the list already.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

This UA grants you proficiency in one skill you don't know, or expertise in a skill you do know. It also gives you a mechanical ability you can use with that skill.

I haven't gone through the whole list, but I like the idea of each character having one skill that is their focus. It makes me feel less bad about Druids with a low Nature score/ Clerics with a low Religion, or a rogue who can't jump because of a low strength.

LudicSavant
2021-05-08, 01:27 AM
If you don't have a temp HP generator in the party already, Inspiring Leader is one of the best feats in the game.

Healer is useful, unless you can just afford as many Healing Potions (or the like) as you want already. Thief Rogues are fond of it.

Athlete is useful on archers -- you drop prone on purpose while kiting up walls and such, so that Ranged attacks have Disadvantage against you and melee attackers can't get to you. And it boosts your Dex score.

Observant is a solid half-feat that gets ruined by DMs who don't know the rules and therefore never use Passive Perception or Passive Investigation as intended. So nowadays people just avoid the hassle and take Expertise (Perception) from the new Tasha's half-feat.

Dungeon Delver is a feat I am unlikely to take even in super-trap-heavy campaigns. I can take other feats to improve my performance against traps. Good ones!

BloodSnake'sCha
2021-05-08, 02:37 AM
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

This UA grants you proficiency in one skill you don't know, or expertise in a skill you do know. It also gives you a mechanical ability you can use with that skill.

I haven't gone through the whole list, but I like the idea of each character having one skill that is their focus. It makes me feel less bad about Druids with a low Nature score/ Clerics with a low Religion, or a rogue who can't jump because of a low strength.

I love this UA but as far as I know atuff from it wasn't published.
I did allow the use of it in my last campaign.

TyGuy
2021-05-08, 04:02 AM
https://thinkdm.org/2018/01/13/feat-strength-tiers/amp/
We use tiers 4, 5, 6 as our free feat options.

Angelalex242
2021-05-08, 05:07 AM
Grappler is so terrible you could give it to everyone in your campaign and dare someone to actually try to use it.