PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ring of Spell Storing - 6 levels

Yakk
2021-04-30, 09:19 AM
So a ring of spell storing with up to 6th spell levels.

This opens up being able to borrow a 6th level spell from another class, and cast it by yourself. There are the standard ring of spell storing tricks with 5th level (paladin steed, for example).

The 6th level spells you could have fun with I can find are:
* Contingency (10 day duration)
* Magic Jar (indefinite duration)
but that is it. Any thoughts?

RogueJK
2021-04-30, 09:25 AM
Personally, rather than filling it up with one 6th level spell, I'm more inclined to fill it with a 4th or 5th level spell, and then 1 or 2 useful 1st level spells like Healing Word or Bless.

(Healing Word is a great option for making a non-Cleric character a "backup emergency Cleric", especially for when the party Cleric goes down. And Bless is always handy, from level 1-20, and is a great way for a non-caster to utilize their otherwise unused Concentration. Especially considering Bless also help boost that person's Concentration checks to keep the Bless running.)

Same with a standard Ring of Spell Storing, which is normally limited to 5 levels of spells: a 3rd or 4th level spell, plus 1 or 2 1st level spells.

Yakk
2021-04-30, 05:22 PM
Sure, the everyday use is a mixture of spells.

But a Ring of Spell storing lets you get a paladin to cast "Summon Greater Steed", then cast it yourself, as an example.

PhantomSoul
2021-04-30, 05:37 PM
The 6th level spells you could have fun with I can find are:
* Contingency (10 day duration)

This was what first came to mind cheese-wise if going to hot-swap the ring. It's such a great spell, and effectively you've nested an action-free spell for someone!

That said, it's a hefty costs, and spells at levels 3-5 are plenty strong and let you get extra healing or Shields in there quite handily. Summons and Find Familiar are natural go-to options too.

Dork_Forge
2021-04-30, 06:25 PM
Is this a 'I'm a player and my DM gave us this' question or a 'thinking about making this change' kind of question?

Honestly my first thoughts are that it should raise the rarity level, that's a huge buff.

Chronos
2021-05-01, 06:39 AM
Spells of sixth level and higher are, by design, extremely scarce. They're designed to be used once per day each, or maybe twice for epic-level characters (not even that, for the warlock), and there's no way in the rules to exceed that. You should seriously think thrice about introducing something like this.

Segev
2021-05-01, 02:59 PM
It isn't as awesome as for an illusionist, but you could get a permanent Major Image that way.

Yakk
2021-05-03, 09:17 AM
Yes, it is a ridiculously good ring.

But I'm looking for 6th level slot abuse. :)

Major image isn't bad; if you can get a spellcaster to help you, you have control of it not the spellcaster.

None are as good as "Find Familiar" and "Find Greater Steed" which already work with a base ring of spell storing.

---

Ok, I just ran into the "Griffonapocolypse", where you get your greater steed to attune to the ring of spell storing, place find greater steed within the ring, and recurse.

ROFTL.

Segev
2021-05-03, 09:55 AM
Create homunculus is a sixth level spell. Instantaneously make a servant. If you like homunculi.

Sadly, create undead requires your buddy to keep infusing your ring daily, and he'd probably prefer to control his own ghouls.

Drawmij's instant summons isn't spectacular for this, but if you need to securely transport something, but don't want to have to drag a caster along (or are willing to entrust someone else with transporting it but not go, yourself).

Tenser's transformation or Tasha's otherworldly guise could be really nice on an actual warrior-type who could never cast the spell otherwise.