PDA

View Full Version : Mystic prestige class?

Chris_tian
2007-11-11, 12:26 PM
Hi, I'm playing a 6.lvl mystic in a dragonlance/planescape campaign focused around a powerful artifact, an orb with intelligence and many abilites. We know it can ressurect and travel in space and time.

I am however having a problem with my mystic. It is a kagonesti (wilder elf) who has alteration domain and is capable of using druid spells because of his enchanted armor, which is a family heirloom the villain wants for himself.

He often acts as healer and our DM has decided that he is propably neutral good (we don't really use alignments unless they are neccesary).

Does anyone have any ideas when it comes to a prestige class for this character? My problem is that it can't really involve gods since my character does not want to dedicate his life to the service of a supernatural being.

I have been thinking about going either citadel mystic(Dragonlance campaign setting/age of mortals) or a contemplative (complete divine).

I would really appreciate if you could give me some recommendations:smallsmile: (my DM usually accepts things from all books if he finds them balanced and if there is a motivation behind the choice)

CASTLEMIKE
2007-11-11, 09:20 PM
I'm not familiar with the class and it didn't show up on the first page of a quick web search. If you posted some basic class mechanics you might get a few more responses.

codexgigas
2007-11-12, 12:07 AM
A mystic is a spontaneous divine spellcaster. It casts from the cleric list based on Wisdom. Aside from gaining access to a single domain, it gets no class abilities.

As far as prestige class options, Legion Mystic (Age of Mortals, expanded in Knightly Orders of Ansalon) is the only Dragonlance-specific one that makes sense aside from Citadel Mystic. Both will grant you Heart's Grace twice, although the Citadel Mystic grants it earlier. Both grant bonus domains. Legion Mystics lose a caster level, but have a better skill list. A Kagonesti could fit into the Legion of Steel fairly easily, but there is the question of dealing with how the character actually joins the Legion.

Outside of Dragonlance-specific material, Contemplative is always a solid choice, although it really doesn't seem very Kargonesti-esque to me. Sacred Exorcist will net you turn undead, which grants access to divine feats. Divine Oracle is also solid, and a lot of people really like it.

Personally, I'd probably end up going into Citadel Mystic. Heart's Grace is nice, and you get a bonus domain. If you don't have access to Knightly Orders, Legion Mystic really isn't worth it.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-11-12, 12:28 AM
Thanks, so sticking to core only both the Thaumaturgist and Loremaster PRCs might be better than leveling up despite lower HD and Poor BAB for the specials the PC would pick up.

Expanding from core: Contemplative, Divine Oracle or Sacred Exorcist might be other options.

Leon
2007-11-12, 12:53 AM
Connect Four

Rad
2007-11-12, 03:55 AM
the only good thing about the mystic, as clarified on the DL forum by Cam Banks, is that unlike other spontaneous casters it adds all the domain spells he gets to his spells known, so getting as many is the best thing.
Contemplative fluff consists of having a deeper relation with your god than the normal clerics, so I don't know if that's appropriate. Sacred exorcist seems to have similar fluff problems.

Legion mystic is good; it gives you a cohort though, which you might not like but is powerful, on the other side the skills prereqs are pretty high.
When I played a mystic I planned to enter both Cytadel Mystic and Legion Mystic to get 2 bonus domains. Contemplative is better of course if you manage to fit it in and the Sun domain would also give you Turn Undead.

Hope this helps