PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

ChaosStar
2021-04-30, 11:31 AM
So a though I had while making a Rogue/Ranger was which subclass goes best with Swashbuckler. I saw good synergy with both Gloomstalker and Fey Wanderer. I eventually chose Fey Wanderer, but I was curious about which one you guys would of chose.

OldTrees1
2021-04-30, 11:56 AM
It really depends on who the character is and what you want them to be able to do.

Fey Wanderer appears to be a good choice, and you chose it while knowing many important character details we don't know.

Man_Over_Game
2021-04-30, 11:59 AM
Fey Wanderer, definitely. You get a buff to your Panache taunt equal to your Wisdom, and you only need a few attacks to get value from your primary feature (which is similar to a Rogue).

With Rogues, there's this weird balancing act where you're better off either prioritizing multiple attacks or leveraging Sneak Attacks. 2 attacks per turn is the sweet spot for Rogues, any more than that and you're going to want to just ditch Rogue as your primary DPS option and just focus on the Extra Attack class for damage.

RogueJK
2021-04-30, 12:47 PM
Yep. Swashbuckler/Fey Wanderer is a good combo. Between a decent CHA, +WIS to CHA checks, and Rogue Expertise to Persuasion/Deception, you could be a heck of a party Face on top of a solid melee striker.

Even better if you have access to an additional Charm effect, like being an Autumn Eladrin, which can be used for additional Advantage on Face skills in social situations. This beats out the Fey Wanderer's Charm Person spell, since they can affect multiple creatures at a time, and unlike Charm Person the targets don't explicitly know they've been charmed with those abilities, nor are they automatically hostile afterwards like with the Friends cantrip.

The Swashbuckler's Panache ability will eventually get you a similarly useful out of combat Charm ability at Rogue 9, being usable even more often, and more likely to stick than Fey Step since you'll be able to stack CHA+WIS+Prof+Expertise in Persuasion. But that will only come online relatively late (consider you'll probably be going Ranger 5/Rogue X, so it won't be available until Level 14ish).