PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help Me With A Character Concept: Dark Souls Inspired

Nikushimi
2021-05-01, 02:06 AM
Hey there, I don't know if "optimization" or "roleplay" is the right Prefix for this thread, and so I chose optimization cause it is optimizing/theorizing a build. If the prefix is wrong, apologies.
---

Now, onto the actual question and thread.

Simply put I have been attempting to figure out a way to create a Dark Souls inspired character. For those of you who have played the games you already know of the Chosen Undead, Bearer of the Curse, and the Ashen One.

For those who have not played the game, I can only recommend looking videos up or something about it to get a grasp of things as it is a bit too much to explain and I want to try to keep this concise.
---

More to the point.

I want to create a character in the game similar to the characters we play and create in all the games. Whether it's from Dark Souls 1, 2, or 3.

I know there is no real "canon" build or "canon" main character for the game as we all play our own version of them, but I am wondering a few things.

[1]What "class" would you give each of them if you had to go based on lore and the world? For example, I personally would make the Bearer of the Curse a Paladin, Oath of Ancients. Chosen Undead probably a Champion Fighter, and the Ashen One...not sure.

[2]What "class" including Archetype would you choose to give the "feel" of being from the Dark Souls world as the main character?

[3]There aren't a lot of different races in the world of Dark Souls. Though there are Humans, Dwarves, Giants, and Gods for sure. What "race" would you give the character if you were to do so? Would you apply the Haunted One Background or the Hollow One template from Guide to Wildemount for flavor? Are they good choices to do so?

---

In short, or the TL;DR portion of this is simple: If you had to create a character in 5e DnD based off of the Chosen Undead, Bearer of the Curse, or the Ashen One; What would be their race, class, spells (if applicable), Feats (if taken), Background, and anything else you find relevant to create the "feel" of one such being.

Much appreciated! I thank you for your time and effort put into answering this. I look forward to seeing these ideas and maybe it might help others out in the future if they want to do something similar.

Nikushimi
2021-05-01, 03:15 AM
An additional question to this thread.

How would you represent/build each Class from Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3 within 5e?

Dark Souls 1
Warrior=Fighter?
Knight=Paladin or Fighter?
Wanderer= Rogue?
Thief=Rogue?
Bandit=Barbarian?
Hunter=Ranger or Rogue?
Sorcerer=Sorcerer or Wizard? Warlock maybe?
Pyromancer=Druid or Sorcerer?
Cleric=Well, Cleric? Paladin?
Deprived=???

Dark Souls 2
Warrior=Fighter?
Knight=Fighter or Paladin?
Swordsman=Ranger, Rogue, or Fighter?
Bandit=Barbarian?
Cleric=Cleric or Paladin?
Sorcerer=Sorcerer or Wizard? Warlock Maybe?
Explorer=Bard or Rogue?
Deprived=???

Dark Souls 3
Knight=Paladin or Fighter?
Mercenary=Fighter or Ranger?
Warrior=Barbarian or Fighter?
Herald=Paladin or Cleric?
Thief=Rogue?
Assassin=Rogue or Bard?
Sorcerer=Sorcerer, Wizard, or Warlock?
Cleric=Cleric or Paladin?
Deprived=???

Just curious as to peoples thoughts. Perhaps based on how each class starts, and the natural progression what archetypes and feats or anything as well?

I appreciate any and all help.

Unoriginal
2021-05-01, 06:29 AM
[3]There aren't a lot of different races in the world of Dark Souls. Though there are Humans, Dwarves, Giants, and Gods for sure. What "race" would you give the character if you were to do so? Would you apply the Haunted One Background or the Hollow One template from Guide to Wildemount for flavor? Are they good choices to do so?

An important thing to note is that the Ashen One, while technically an Undead too, is very different in nature from the Chosen Undead and the Bearer of Curse. All Ashen Ones are basically mini-Lords of Cinder, also awoken by the Bell, but without the power required to keep the Flame lit (so in fact, they start weaker than the regular Undead who do light the First Flame), they won't turn into Hollows normally (Dark Sigils can make them go Hollow, but even then they will never lose their mind at least until their duty is fulfilled), they have some kind of duty they are bound to, and they can enter an Embered state.

I would say the Ashen Ones can be represented pretty well by Scourge Aasimars.

Nikushimi
2021-05-01, 06:52 AM
An important thing to note is that the Ashen One, while technically an Undead too, is very different in nature from the Chosen Undead and the Bearer of Curse. All Ashen Ones are basically mini-Lords of Cinder, also awoken by the Bell, but without the power required to keep the Flame lit (so in fact, they start weaker than the regular Undead who do light the First Flame), they won't turn into Hollows normally (Dark Sigils can make them go Hollow, but even then they will never lose their mind at least until their duty is fulfilled), they have some kind of duty they are bound to, and they can enter an Embered state.

I would say the Ashen Ones can be represented pretty well by Scourge Aasimars.

Hmm, Scourge Aasimar is an interesting take on the Ashen One. I'll keep that in mind.

Also, I know it has nothing to do with my question, though I did want to just share my own thoughts on it. Those thoughts being on the Ashen One starting out weaker than a regular Undead....I'm not sure sure about that.

The Chosen Undead and Bearer of the Curse start out as just normal undead, but the Ashen One starts out as a burnt out husk of a Lord of Cinder, granted a failed Lord of Cinder, but a Lord of Cinder nonetheless. As you said, a Mini Lord of Cinder. And Lords of Cinder are end game bosses. Even if they were failed Lords of Cinder, that still puts them at a pretty strong level and these are their husks.

But, all that aside. I do appreciate the response. I would have never placed the Ashen One as an Aasimar or even a Scourge Aasimar. So I definitely appreciate the reply.

OldTrees1
2021-05-01, 08:07 AM
An additional question to this thread.

How would you represent/build each Class from Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3 within 5e?

Just curious as to peoples thoughts. Perhaps based on how each class starts, and the natural progression what archetypes and feats or anything as well?

I appreciate any and all help.

As far as Race I think you could pick any fleshy meatbag. You will be reskinning them as one of the forms of Human. Most of the Dark Souls theme will come from their perseverance in spite of pursuing a hopeless cause. Hollowing is just the process of giving up after repeated failures.

For background, make a custom background. Use the custom background rules and work with your GM. The main task would be picking the background feature. I suggest using the Haunted One background as a starting place (https://www.dndbeyond.com/backgrounds/haunted-one). It was designed for one of the Demiplanes of Dread, which is a similar tone as Dark Souls.

Dark Souls starting classes fade away as you level up, so I would base it on how various characters play:

You have burly Str fighters that slam down oversized weapons.
Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, or Str Rogue. Take Great Weapon Master feat and get to 20 Str.

You have tanky Str or Dex characters that hide behind a shield with a fast weapon.
Barbarian, or Paladin. Consider the Inspiring Leader, Shield Master, Polearm Master feats.

You have nimble Dex characters that do a flurry of attacks.
Fighter, or Monk. Consider Polearm Master or Dual Wielder feats. Also consider the Slasher, Piercer, or Crusher feats from Tasha's

You have the archer.
Rogue (for the single big shot of the Greatbow) or Fighter (for the many shots of the Composite Bow / Shortbow). For Fighter consider Sharpshooter feat.

You have the casters who spread out their spellcasting
Warlock with Eldritch Blast refluffed as Heavy Soul Arrow, Combustion, or Lightning Spear.

You have the casters who nova their spellcasting and thus have a backup infused weapon
Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, or Wizard. Take a refluffed version of Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade.

You have the warrior/caster hybrids. They focus on self buffs. This includes the Heal focused Miracle users.
Cleric, Paladin, or Artificer

You have the unarmored RTSR demons.
Some kind of overpowered DPS on a Dex based character (Dex to represent dodging for AC and Dex saves).

da newt
2021-05-01, 08:08 AM
I don't know anything about dark souls, but for undead PCs you might like this UA:

https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/UA2021_GothicLineages.pdf

OldTrees1
2021-05-01, 08:14 AM
I don't know anything about dark souls, but for undead PCs you might like this UA:

Reborn fits well.

Unoriginal
2021-05-01, 09:35 AM
[3]There aren't a lot of different races in the world of Dark Souls. Though there are Humans, Dwarves, Giants, and Gods for sure.

I just remembered that aside from the Serpentfolk in 1, DS 2 had lion-people and I think lizard people, so Leonin and Lizardfolk could be added to the mix.

Also, I know it has nothing to do with my question, though I did want to just share my own thoughts on it. Those thoughts being on the Ashen One starting out weaker than a regular Undead....I'm not sure sure about that.

The Chosen Undead and Bearer of the Curse start out as just normal undead, but the Ashen One starts out as a burnt out husk of a Lord of Cinder, granted a failed Lord of Cinder, but a Lord of Cinder nonetheless. As you said, a Mini Lord of Cinder. And Lords of Cinder are end game bosses. Even if they were failed Lords of Cinder, that still puts them at a pretty strong level and these are their husks.

But, all that aside. I do appreciate the response. I would have never placed the Ashen One as an Aasimar or even a Scourge Aasimar. So I definitely appreciate the reply.

The Ashen One is weaker to start with precisely because they're a failed Lord of Cinders. As in, they were too weak to become one.

That doesn't mean they stay that way, sure, given that they end up besting the combined might of everyone who kept the First Flame alight (including the Chosen Undead and Gwyn without his mind destroyed by Hollowness) and the oldest surviving Undead empowered by the Dark Soul itself.

Nikushimi
2021-05-01, 02:11 PM
As far as Race I think you could pick any fleshy meatbag. You will be reskinning them as one of the forms of Human. Most of the Dark Souls theme will come from their perseverance in spite of pursuing a hopeless cause. Hollowing is just the process of giving up after repeated failures.

For background, make a custom background. Use the custom background rules and work with your GM. The main task would be picking the background feature. I suggest using the Haunted One background as a starting place (https://www.dndbeyond.com/backgrounds/haunted-one). It was designed for one of the Demiplanes of Dread, which is a similar tone as Dark Souls.

Dark Souls starting classes fade away as you level up, so I would base it on how various characters play:

You have burly Str fighters that slam down oversized weapons.
Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, or Str Rogue. Take Great Weapon Master feat and get to 20 Str.

You have tanky Str or Dex characters that hide behind a shield with a fast weapon.
Barbarian, or Paladin. Consider the Inspiring Leader, Shield Master, Polearm Master feats.

You have nimble Dex characters that do a flurry of attacks.
Fighter, or Monk. Consider Polearm Master or Dual Wielder feats. Also consider the Slasher, Piercer, or Crusher feats from Tasha's

You have the archer.
Rogue (for the single big shot of the Greatbow) or Fighter (for the many shots of the Composite Bow / Shortbow). For Fighter consider Sharpshooter feat.

You have the casters who spread out their spellcasting
Warlock with Eldritch Blast refluffed as Heavy Soul Arrow, Combustion, or Lightning Spear.

You have the casters who nova their spellcasting and thus have a backup infused weapon
Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, or Wizard. Take a refluffed version of Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade.

You have the warrior/caster hybrids. They focus on self buffs. This includes the Heal focused Miracle users.
Cleric, Paladin, or Artificer

You have the unarmored RTSR demons.
Some kind of overpowered DPS on a Dex based character (Dex to represent dodging for AC and Dex saves).
All interesting thoughts on the different builds. I know that the classes, as you go, get a bit convoluted, but if you were to stick to them as a sort of "pure" build I was curious what they might be.

All these are definitely good thoughts on it. I was having a hard time wrapping my head around how I would go about doing such things. This gave me a bit of insight, so thank you.

Ah, yes. I do remember looking at those and Reborn definitely fits really well. Only thing I wasn't sure about is if it is a "template" or if it is a full on replacer for your race.

Also, is it only a +2 and +1 wherever I want to ability scores?

That aside, until it's in an actual book I will have a bit of a hard time getting my DM's to accept UA stuff for now.

But thanks for reminding me that "Reborn" exist.

Lavaeolus
2021-05-01, 02:43 PM
Ah, yes. I do remember looking at those and Reborn definitely fits really well. Only thing I wasn't sure about is if it is a "template" or if it is a full on replacer for your race.

My reading was that it was something in the vein of Tasha's Custom Lineage. That is, mechanically it's essentially a race, but it's a little broader in flavour than most races are. The ASI bit about "replacing your race" could lead to some confusion, but I think this bit makes the intent clear:

At 1st level, you choose whether your character is a member of the human race or of one of the game’s fantastical races. Alternatively, you can choose one of the following lineages.

If you choose a lineage, you might have once been a member of another race, but you aren’t any longer. You now possess only your lineage’s racial traits.

Presumably, the "replacing your race" bits might cover a situation where, say, a PC Halfing is "reborn" during the campaign and switches race.

Anyway, you have the right of it with the ASIs. Increase one score of your choice by 2, increase a different one by 1. The Ability Score Increases and Languages sections apply to all the Gothic Lineages.

OldTrees1
2021-05-01, 03:22 PM
All interesting thoughts on the different builds. I know that the classes, as you go, get a bit convoluted, but if you were to stick to them as a sort of "pure" build I was curious what they might be.

All these are definitely good thoughts on it. I was having a hard time wrapping my head around how I would go about doing such things. This gave me a bit of insight, so thank you.

If you stick to a sort of "pure" build then most of the classes fall into one or two of those categories.
No Pure Build (aka undecided): Deprived(1,2,&3), Knight(1), Explorer(2)
STR (two handed pancake OR shield): Bandit(1), Warrior(2,3), Knight(2)
DEX (flurry OR shield): Wanderer(1), Thief(1,3), Swordsmen(2), Bandit(2), Mercenary(3), Assassin(3)
Either STR/DEX (see above): Warrior(1), Hunter(1), Knight(3)
Spell Damage (nova or sustained): Sorcerer(1,2,3), Pyromancer(1,3)
Half Caster: Cleric(1,2,3), Herald(3)

However as you go classes get very very convoluted in Dark Souls. My DS2 Hex Halfcaster has 40 Str, 30 Int, and 30 Faith but started with 11 Str and 4 Int. As you get to higher levels, the stats you don't care about (In DS2 Endurance, Vitality, and Adaptability for me) define your starting class more than their strengths. This is because each wasted level in those stats is a level lost that could have been in your interesting stats.

That aside, until it's in an actual book I will have a bit of a hard time getting my DM's to accept UA stuff for now.

But thanks for reminding me that "Reborn" exist.

Reborn is a race (not a template) and they get everything listed under Reborn and
+2/+1 ASIs
Languages: Common + 1 of your choice
This is specified in page 1 of that PDF.

Basically I am confirming Lavaeolus is right. (Thanks for providing the citation)

Nikushimi
2021-05-01, 03:50 PM
My reading was that it was something in the vein of Tasha's Custom Lineage. That is, mechanically it's essentially a race, but it's a little broader in flavour than most races are. The ASI bit about "replacing your race" could lead to some confusion, but I think this bit makes the intent clear:

Presumably, the "replacing your race" bits might cover a situation where, say, a PC Halfing is "reborn" during the campaign and switches race.

Anyway, you have the right of it with the ASIs. Increase one score of your choice by 2, increase a different one by 1. The Ability Score Increases and Languages sections apply to all the Gothic Lineages.

Yeah, this is how I figured it as well, but I wasn't quite sure since let's say you "were" a Half-Elf, but chose to use the "Reborn" lineage, you wouldn't get the +2 in Cha and then +1 in two other scores. You'd just get +2 and +1 of your choice. Which is what I was trying to confirm. In my head I figured it meant what you said, but wanted some clarification. Appreciate it.
---

Onto another note...If I were to do some kind of Dark Souls Themed caster, what spells do people think would be quite thematic and fit the spells from the Dark Souls games (1, 2, and 3)?

Reskinning Eldritch Blast into Soul Arrow, or Heavy Soul Arrow makes sense.

Melf's Minute Meteors could be Homing Soulmass?

Burning Hands could be reskinned as a sort of "Combustion" or "Great Combustion".

Fireball could of course be "Forbidden Sun" or "Chaos Bed Vestiges".

Lightning Bolt could be reskinned as Lightning Spear/Great Lightning Spear.

Produce Flame could be "Flame Orb" or "Fireball" from the Souls Series.

I'm at a lost for other ones off the top of my head.

OldTrees1
2021-05-01, 04:02 PM
Onto another note...If I were to do some kind of Dark Souls Themed caster, what spells do people think would be quite thematic and fit the spells from the Dark Souls games (1, 2, and 3)?

It depends on the style of caster because you would also want the frequency, rhythm, and style of casting too.

My Dark Souls style was focused on at - will options or on options with enough uses that I would not run out. So my adaptation would focus on cantrips and buffs. This means I would also look towards the 5E Warlock class.

In Dark Souls I used Great Combustion / Combustion / Black Flame and fast nova damage in melee range. In 5E I would use Green Flame Blade (possibly with Quicken Spell Metamagic) to replicate both the large number of casts and the rapid fire.

Whenever I used Soul Arrows in any Dark Souls game I had enough uses that I did not run out. So I would look to Eldrtich Blast or another cantrip.

In Dark Souls 2 I used Dark Weapon as a buff. In 5E the spells Magic Weapon and Elemental Weapon are comparable.

In Dark Souls 2 I used Dark Orb as a backup ranged attack. Some ranged attack cantrip would work well here.

Lavaeolus
2021-05-01, 11:48 PM
I'm mainly familiar with the first game, so that's where my head'll be. Dark Souls classes are basically just different starting points and there's more than a few ways to build your character, but there are probably a few different ways to capture a sort of Souls-like feel.

Approaching melee combat. It's technically possible to go through Dark Souls solely using a bow and ranged magic, but most people are probably going to use some melee. Now, one way to approach that is as your more nimble type, focusing on avoiding attacks and positioning well. Rogue is nice here: imagine Disengage as a sort of roll and Sneak Attack as pulling off a parry or backstab, and you've already got something fairly in spirit to the games. A relatively-lower HP and Uncanny Dodge/Evasion will help you remember, in those big boss fights, that the best hit to take is an indirect one and that getting a face full of attacks is something to avoid.

Of course, you could bulk up more. While overloading yourself with armour you can't carry is a concern, it's still pretty valid to be midrolling and to go into some battles with a shield held-out, tanking most hits. Fighter's one obvious way, but there are more than a few options for getting medium/heavy armor proficiency. Your average person who isn't dabbling in magic, they could probably be some sort of Fighter or Fighter/Rogue, but the level-split probably depends on how reliant (if at all) they are on nimbly getting a backstab. Melee combat in the game is mostly simple at its core, rather than particularly using many tricks, but a Battle Master / Rogue can simulate the old parry-riposte technique.

Casting miracles. Sometimes the most obvious option is the best. 5e Cleric's start off with medium/heavy armour, whereas Dark Souls Faith tends to pair mostly with Strength builds (and so in 5e'll probably slap on some armour). Miracles range from healing, chucking lightning, enhancing weapons, and some debuffs. Clerics have a fairly broad spell list, but when it comes to blasting you probably want to focus on radiant, lightning and maybe thunder damage; miracles tend to reflect that Gwyn was Lord of Sunlight and Cinder. Light or perhaps Tempest Domain could be appropriate for that reason.

But D&D full-casters are fairly magical by the standards of what you can pull in Dark Souls, especially as you get up in level. Paladin could certainly be an appropriate alternative, especially if you took the starting DS Cleric class in a more martial direction as you levelled up.

Other spellcasting. Thematically, Pyromancer feels like sorcery or druidism. Laurentius mentions "a pyromancer must be in tune with nature herself" and that it "has a, well, rather primitive aspect to it [...] it meshes poorly with advanced culture", which feels in spirit with the D&D Druid. Part of the reason pyromancy is more developed in the Great Swamp is because of all the life there. So maybe Druid?

But I'm worried about well it actually translates there. Some of the poison spells line up a bit with being a Swamp Land Druid, but a lot of pyromancy is, well, throwing fireballs at people or hitting them with fire whips. Wildfire Druid is an obvious pick, but I'm not sure how well its mechanics actually match. There's an element of, okay, you pinkie-swear not to Wild Shape? Sorcerer might be more appropriate, then.

Dark Souls sorcery certainly feels more like its world's wizardry, with the presentation of the NPCs you meet and the fact it's keying off Intelligence. But it's also true that, while sorceries are fairly broad, it might still be an odd match in mechanics. An Arcane Trickster might do a good job at simulating a INT/DEX hybrid, though.

Misery Esquire
2021-05-02, 09:03 AM
I just remembered that aside from the Serpentfolk in 1, DS 2 had lion-people and I think lizard people, so Leonin and Lizardfolk could be added to the mix.

DS1 & 2 also had (half) crow-people, adding a possible Kenku, and DS3 shows us via Archdragon Peak that people's Dragonform Covenant/Stones could become permanent, allowing for a weirdly-fluffed Dragonborn. DS3 has Ghru for... some sort of D&D beastman? DS2 was also rocking elephant people for that Loxodon PlaneShift.

Also Dark Souls' (1 & 3) quite literal fluffy halfdragons. Not sure where they go, but adorable nonetheless.

On classes, you'd probably have to exclude Warlock, Druid and Bard from a Dark Souls-esque D&D:

Druids mostly because of Wild Shape, and transformation not being much of a thing in DS (aforementioned dragonform aside). If you get them to be a Non-WSing, Non-summoning Druid it'd probably be alright.

And though OldTrees1 suggests EB -> Soul Arrow/etc for Warlock, the number of spells cast per Bonfire, essentially a Long Rest, is a lot more limited than EBs output. And the various Pact boons/nonEB Invocations don't have matching counterparts. I wouldn't say it couldn't work, but it doesn't fit great for a first pass. ...EB does match up fairly well to the Soul Arrow lines' increasing power, and DS1 did let you stack up 60-plus casts, to be fair, though. Hm...

Bard just doesn't fit very well either, if they intend on using all their class features; Bard songs and Inspiration, for example.

Also, ordinary 5e D&D characters would probably be jealous of the industrial supply of health potions. :smalltongue:

OldTrees1
2021-05-02, 11:22 AM
On classes, you'd probably have to exclude Warlock, Druid and Bard from a Dark Souls-esque D&D:

And though OldTrees1 suggests EB -> Soul Arrow/etc for Warlock, the number of spells cast per Bonfire, essentially a Long Rest, is a lot more limited than EBs output. And the various Pact boons/nonEB Invocations don't have matching counterparts. I wouldn't say it couldn't work, but it doesn't fit great for a first pass. ...EB does match up fairly well to the Soul Arrow lines' increasing power, and DS1 did let you stack up 60-plus casts, to be fair, though. Hm...

When playing with magic is Darksouls I had:
Dark souls: 100 casts of soul arrow/great soul arrow
Dark souls 2: 63 casts of dark orb
For these spells I never ran out between bonfires.

OR

Dark souls: 32 casts of combustion/great combustion/black flame
Dark souls: 20 casts of heavy soul arrow/great heavy soul arrow
For these spells I also did not run out, but I did not spam just this spell. Sometimes I even saved it for a nova.

OR

Dark souls: 8 casts of soul spear/crystal soul spear (I heard you could get 12)
This is a nova build. This would be saved for the big threats.

So if they are built around sustained spamming the same effect, I think a cantrip focus makes sense. On the other hand if they are built around a nova, then using Wizard/Sorcerer spell slots makes more sense.

Soul Arrow / DS2 Dark Orb -> Refluffed Eldritch Blast (mimic multiple castings)
Heavy Soul Arrow -> Refluffed Fire Bolt or a different cantrip that scales within 1 strike.
Combustion -> Green Flame Blade for the melee range AoE and the scaling within 1 strike. I suggest Sorcerer because combustion was fast.
Soul Spear -> High level evocation attack you can find. Lightning Bolt could work.

Converting Dark Souls casting to D&D casting is tricky. Especially with how limited attunement was in Dark Souls. I would definitely avoid spellcasting invocations or rituals (even if you are a wizard). Your spell selection was very limited in Dark Souls.

On the topic of class features, I suggest ignoring a lot of caster class features. D&D casters get a lot more class features than Dark Souls characters do.

BMF
2021-05-02, 04:26 PM
In short, or the TL;DR portion of this is simple: If you had to create a character in 5e DnD based off of the Chosen Undead, Bearer of the Curse, or the Ashen One; What would be their race, class, spells (if applicable), Feats (if taken), Background, and anything else you find relevant to create the "feel" of one such being.

Much appreciated! I thank you for your time and effort put into answering this. I look forward to seeing these ideas and maybe it might help others out in the future if they want to do something similar.

Fun exercise. As you mention, there are many different ways to play the Dark Souls PCs, so it's hard to pick a class and build - I basically think most versions of fighter, barbarian, rogue, cleric or sorcerer would potentially work as long as you avoided a super socially-oriented build.

For me, I think the most interesting portion of the DS setting/protagonists are the endless cycle of death and rebirth, throwing yourself at challenges until you win by sheer repetition and muscle memory, and the challenges of maintaining your sense of purpose and duty (in whatever form you have decided drives your character). As a result, I think the most Dark Souls-like character is the UA Revenant (https://media.dnd.wizards.com/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf), not the newer Reborn - a little tough in a team-based game, but that's an idea how to emulate the rebirth stuff.

BoutsofInsanity
2021-05-03, 08:45 AM
The thing about A Dark Souls character is that they are dynamic. They have access to many options and are fluid in their ability.

It's not just about their mechanical power, but how they actually approach problems. Especially in Dark Souls 1. Ignoring the ability to run really fast and dunk on enemies, bypassing locations once you know the game, the game plays slow.

Ideally, entering a new area, fat with souls, desperately searching for a bonfire the Dark Souls character uses ranged attacks to weaken and probe the enemy. They scout the location once they have banked their souls. Using items, pyromancy, and other abilities to augment their impressive physical prowess to succeed. In this idea you can approach in several ways I believe.

You need 3 things for a Dark Souls Character.

1. The ability to scout ahead and react to dynamic environments

2. The ability to use items and such to overcome obstacles

3. The ability to fight and destroy your opponents.

Dark Souls is a mindset. You can get there in a variety of ways. I would offer the following several builds that kind of approach this mindset.

1. Straight Ranger -> This is the cleanest build

2. Rogue 3 / Fighter the rest

3. Wizard

4. Cleric

5. Rogue 3 / Paladin the rest either Arcane or Divine

6. Valor Bard or Sword Bard

7. Hexblade Warlock