PDA

View Full Version : Happy Goblinization Day!

pendell
2021-05-01, 08:03 AM
I am reminded that in ShadowRun Lore (https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/30/22411989/shadowrun-goblinization-april-30-2021-ork-troll-metahumanity), yesterday was Goblinization day.

Wiki (https://shadowrun.fandom.com/wiki/Goblinization)

Goblinization began on 30 April 2021. On this day many humans (approximately 10% of the world's population), without any evident reason, transformed into Orks and Trolls. In most cases, those humans started changing en masse before the very eyes of horrified spectators, causing much panic and alarm. This event made the population fearful and discriminatory, much more than UGE, meeting metahumanity with hostility and sometimes force.

Riots as a result of Goblinization escalated, especially after the 14th amendment of the UCAS constitution gave the same rights to metahumans, culminated into the Night of Rage in 2039. It has had a negative influence on Japan's metahuman policy, and goblinization is indirectly responsible for the formation of the Humanis Policlub. This event caused the Coffee Famine of 2022.

Hey, after the 2020 we had, it couldn't come as a surprise, could it?

There don't seem to be anyone in my neighborhood in North Carolina who has experienced this, but to that (rule of thumb) 10% of our forum population who are now sporting green skin and fangs, congratulations or condolences are in order!

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

Cikomyr2
2021-05-01, 09:09 AM
I don't know what you are talking about. I've been a troll for years

Brother Oni
2021-05-01, 09:41 AM
I am reminded that in ShadowRun Lore (https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/30/22411989/shadowrun-goblinization-april-30-2021-ork-troll-metahumanity), yesterday was Goblinization day.

Well we could be running a decade or so slow; according to the Shadowrun timeline, the world was hit by the VITAS global pandemic in 2010 which killed ~25% of the world's population over the following two years.

So assuming we're just behind, Goblinisation Day is due 2030, with another global pandemic soon after (in the SR world, a new strain, VITAS II, hit again in the 2020s, killing another 10% of the global population).

Cikomyr2
2021-05-01, 12:57 PM
Well we could be running a decade or so slow; according to the Shadowrun timeline, the world was hit by the VITAS global pandemic in 2010 which killed ~25% of the world's population over the following two years.

So assuming we're just behind, Goblinisation Day is due 2030, with another global pandemic soon after (in the SR world, a new strain, VITAS II, hit again in the 2020s, killing another 10% of the global population).

And despite that people still won't wear a mask damnit

Taevyr
2021-05-01, 02:18 PM
And despite that people still won't wear a mask damnit

Well, it's hard to wear a mask when they're all human design, and you got these damn tusks you're not used to that keep puncturing the fabric.

By the way, does goblinization shift your biological age to the corresponding bracket for an orc/troll, or do you retain the same age, shortening your lifespan? Asking for a friend.

Palanan
2021-05-01, 04:00 PM
I for one appreciate the heads-up. I'll be stockpiling coffee in my underground bunker.

Ravens_cry
2021-05-01, 04:15 PM
So that's why everything looks smaller and I was feeling a little green around the gills. Thought it was just dysphoria about my height. The tusks are cute, and, hey, I like well built women.

comicshorse
2021-05-01, 06:04 PM
Well, it's hard to wear a mask when they're all human design, and you got these damn tusks you're not used to that keep puncturing the fabric.

By the way, does goblinization shift your biological age to the corresponding bracket for an orc/troll, or do you retain the same age, shortening your lifespan? Asking for a friend.

In one of the novels Kham (an orc street samurai) encounter an old orc who reckons he has lived so long because he was human before the change hit. So your friend should be ok

BisectedBrioche
2021-05-02, 04:18 AM
In one of the novels Kham (an orc street samurai) encounter an old orc who reckons he has lived so long because he was human before the change hit. So your friend should be ok

On the other hand, recurring character Bull is said to have a human-like lifespan because they don't want to write him out of a rare genetic anomaly. It's theorised that orcs have far longer (possibly elf-like) lifespans in high magic areas, which would suggest that even human born orcs would suffer rapid ageing because of their orc physiology.

Brother Oni
2021-05-02, 05:03 AM

Generally people who have undergone unexplained genetic expression (UGE) into a troll (ingenisization to H.Sapiens Ingentis) or an ork (robustusization to H.Sapiens Robustus) keep their standard human lifespan.

Another SR novel, Changeling, follows the life of Peter Clarris who was 15 when he underwent UGE and became a troll. It took him a little while to regain and retrain some of his lost memories and intellect, but was otherwise fine mentally.

In the same novel that comicshorse mentions, the 'old' ork shows Kham an even older looking ork woman, who turns out to be the ork's daughter; he fully expects to out-live her, implying that orks born of former humans have the shortened lifespan.

As far as I can tell, there's no information on humans that UGE'd into SR dwarves (H.Sapiens pumilionis) or elves; it gets a bit weird with the elves once the novels start introducing the EarthDawn elements.

It's theorised that orcs have far longer (possibly elf-like) lifespans in high magic areas...

Is that hypothesis in SR? Even in Earthdawn, orks generally didn't live much past 40, with 60 being the upper limit.

BisectedBrioche
2021-05-02, 05:47 AM
Generally people who have undergone unexplained genetic expression (UGE) into a troll (ingenisization to H.Sapiens Ingentis) or an ork (robustusization to H.Sapiens Robustus) keep their standard human lifespan.

Another SR novel, Changeling, follows the life of Peter Clarris who was 15 when he underwent UGE and became a troll. It took him a little while to regain and retrain some of his lost memories and intellect, but was otherwise fine mentally.

In the same novel that comicshorse mentions, the 'old' ork shows Kham an even older looking ork woman, who turns out to be the ork's daughter; he fully expects to out-live her, implying that orks born of former humans have the shortened lifespan.

As far as I can tell, there's no information on humans that UGE'd into SR dwarves (H.Sapiens pumilionis) or elves; it gets a bit weird with the elves once the novels start introducing the EarthDawn elements.

Is that hypothesis in SR? Even in Earthdawn, orks generally didn't live much past 40, with 60 being the upper limit.

I think it was introduced in a 5e or 6e book soley to justify why Bull's still about and not in an old folks' home.

Lvl 2 Expert
2021-05-03, 05:35 PM
Puny forum, Expert type!

asda fasda
2021-05-05, 01:30 AM

If you count H1N1 which was 2009 - 2010 I would say we are quite in line with Shadowrun timeline, COVID-19 is not a new string of H1N1 but still, quite close : P

Eldan
2021-05-07, 03:34 AM
I mean, if you want to count it like that, we're currently in SARS-CoV-2, which is related to SARS-CoV-1, in 2002.