PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Suggestions for (probably Martial) Cohort

RexDart
2021-05-01, 04:49 PM
I'm playing in a campaign with a 10th level Duskblade, and playing with the idea of taking the Leadership feat at 12th level. Looking for ideas on a character who would be a good "wingman" for her, maybe in the sense of a "bodyguard," or maybe just good at doing melee combat in tandem (maybe especially good at flanking, for instance?)

Parameters:
- Low-to-mid-optimization campaign
- The Duskblade class is customized, and different from the PHB2 version in a number of ways, most notably being CHA-based instead of INT, and having more spells to choose from. My particular Duskblade is a capable melee combatant with as much defense as I can cobble together (AC, Touch AC, and saving throws), but brittle (low CON and HP, so she can't take a lot of hits, and a single BIG hit might be fatal.)
- I'm mostly thinking about martial classes here (I'm alternatively thinking of a divine caster in a traditional "support" role, but I have a pretty good handle on where I might go on that path.)
- The DM doesn't allow a ton of weird base classes. In addition to the usual PHB classes, Scout and (a heavily modified version of) Favored Soul are available to everyone.
- Some base classes are restricted to certain races (and/or humans can take them, due to being versatile). Bandit, Pit Fighter, Swashbuckler, Samurai, and Ninja look to be the only ones of potential interest for this particular exercise.
- The DM is pretty open to prestige classes as long as they're not super-campaign-specific (i.e., probably not fitting in with his own campaign world)
- I don't think the DM is terribly fond of high-level 3.5 play, so I expect the campaign will end sometime before 15th level or thereabouts. (Or in other words, no need to worry about what the character will or won't be able to do at 18th level, because he'll probably be "retired" by then.)
- Also, probably no concepts that require the character to be of a particular race, mainly because the PC races are mostly custom variants, and many of the usual D&D races don't exist, or exist in modified forms.

Thanks in advance for ideas!