PDA

View Full Version : Does natural armor protect you from basic harm?

eyebreaker7
2021-05-01, 11:24 PM
Like stepping on a Lego? I know it adds to your AC but would it in some way protect you from basic harm? Like stepping on a NAIL or stubbing your toe in the middle of the night while trying to get to the bathroom? Or would that follow just under damage reduction?

Particle_Man
2021-05-01, 11:52 PM
If the nail has to roll to hit you like a caltrop does then yes. If you have to make a reflex save or dexterity check instead to avoid the nail then no.

Galacktic
2021-05-02, 12:11 AM
I'd say yes. A whip can't effect creatures with more than 3? natural armor so I'd say 1 natural armor protects you from things like that.

Gruftzwerg
2021-05-02, 01:25 AM
As far as I'm aware, by RAW there are only specific things that mention that they don't work on targets with (enough) Natural Armor.

E.g. Whips (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#whip) when you have NA of 3+ you don't get any damage.

I could see a point to extend this kind of ruling for other things if you want to make houserules for that. But it would cause some work to make up values for each specific situation and to remember em (or make a list) to be consistent.
The question is, do you really wanna weaken those things and strengthen NA more? I personally don't see any value in this.

Particle_Man
2021-05-02, 01:28 AM
Well there are no specific rules on stubbing your toe. Nor for stepping on a nail or piece of lego, unless you count those as caltrops (and with lego I would totally buy that! They hurt!).

So we are in RAI territory already, at best.

StSword
2021-05-02, 04:06 AM
Not unless your game is using the Amor as Damage Reduction (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm) alternate rule.

I know it makes sense to me.

"I have the thick skin of an alligator, that makes me harder to hit in combat! Wait what?"

There's also the Damage Conversion (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/damageConversion.htm) alternate rule in which armor converts damage to nonlethal damage.

But that is a matter between you and your DM.

Gruftzwerg
2021-05-02, 04:12 AM
Well there are no specific rules on stubbing your toe. Nor for stepping on a nail or piece of lego, unless you count those as caltrops (and with lego I would totally buy that! They hurt!).

So we are in RAI territory already, at best.

As you said yourself: There are nor specific rules.
If you do make up some, they are still houserules. Nothing stops you from inventing more stuff for table (other than your friends maybe^^).
I on the other hand would just use the improvised weapon rules for caltrops here. Even if they aren't weapons by RAW, they still use an attack roll. And this is far less stretched and does less work than making up an entire new set of rules for everything.
If your table likes the idea and you intend to do all the paper work (tables for consistent values for everything), that's up to you.

King of Nowhere
2021-05-02, 08:11 AM
as there are no specific rules for those instances, it's up to you. and since they are not relevant in combat or for anything other than fluff, i'd keep with what makes sense. so, a carapace wouldn't help you against the nail because it doesn't cover your feet, but thick skin would.