PDA

View Full Version : A few new creatures

ionlink x
2007-11-11, 02:35 PM
I've been throwing an idea around for a long time and finally decided to create a new campaign based largely on the Metroid Prime 2 world. However this campaign needs new creatures to fight. This will be updated with more monsters as the previous ones are tweaked and completed. I would appreciate any help editing them.

Inglet
Inglets are small, blob like creatures that cling to walls and do manual labor for the Ing. They sometimes guard small openings from intruders where other Ing can't fit. They have no limbs and look more like a dark ball on a stick than a creature.

Size/Type: Small Outsider(evil)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1
Initiative:-1
Speed: shadow 20ft.
AC: 14 (+1 size, -1 Dex, +4 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attacks: Hurl +0 Ranged Touch (1d8 bludgeoning damage)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Shadow Meld1, Pure Ing2
Saves: Fortitude +3, Reflex +1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 10, Con 12, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 4
Skills: Hide 7
Feats:
Organization: Solitary, Pairs, Groups(3-5 usually with one Warrior Ing)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil

Ing Scout
Ing Scouts, as their name implies, are scouts for the Ing army. They use their superior speed to move ahead of oncoming hoards. They commonly possess humanoids to scout through cities since they themselves cannot enter the sunlight. In their natural form, Scouts have four, spear-like legs which propel them quickly over the land. When they need to move even faster, Scouts meld into the darkness and speed along through shadows.

Size/Type: Medium Outsider(evil)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2
Initiative:+6
Speed: land 40ft., shadow 50ft.
AC: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3
Attacks: 2 Claws +3(2d4+2)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Possession (1 hit die, DC 11)
Saves: Fortitude +4, Reflex +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 12, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 4
Skills: Hide 7, Listen 5, Move Silently 7, Survival 6
Feats: Improved Initiative
Organization: Solitary, Pairs
Challenge Rating: 2

Warrior Ing
If Warrior Ing were to be compared to a human army, they would rank at about a Lieutenant level. They have power over all Ing except Hunters. They are the most durable of the lower ranks, and topped in battle skill only by Hunters. When entering a fight, they let out a howl which sounds much like a screeching hawk. In appearance, Warrior Ing look like much larger Ing Scouts. They do however have a row of spikes running down their backs.
Size/Type: Large Outsider(evil)
Hit Dice: 4d8+12
Initiative:+3
Speed: land 40ft., shadow 30ft.
AC: 20 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +8 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+11
Attacks: 2 Claws +7(2d6+6)
Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Possession (3 hit die, DC 15), Howl3
Saves: Fortitude +7, Reflex +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 16, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 4
Skills: Hide 10, Listen 9, Move Silently 10, Survival 9
Feats:
Organization: Solitary, Commanding(at least 3-5 Inglets as well)
Challenge Rating: ?

Hunter Ing
Hunters are the elite units in the Ing forces. They are the most intelligent and battle-hardened fighters that exist in the dark home of the Ing. Unlike other Ing, Hunters do not walk the earth. They have evolved a form of flight which, as of yet, is unknown on how it works. All that is known is that if a Hunter is anywhere near a small town, that town is doomed unless someone can destroy the menace. Another trait that Hunters carry with them is the ability to partially phase into their own plane of existence. They are also extremely picky about who they possess.

Size/Type: Medium Outsider(evil)
Hit Dice: 8d8+8
Initiative:+4
Speed: flight 40ft(perfect), shadow 30ft.
AC: 19 (+4 Dex, +5 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+11
Attacks: 4 Tentacles +7(4d6+4 slashing damage)
Space/Reach: 5ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Possession (6 hit die, DC 18)
Special Qualities: Shadow Meld1, Pure Ing2, Phase4, +2 to grapple
Saves: Fortitude +7, Reflex +10, Will +13
Abilities: Str 12, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 14, Wis 24, Cha 4
Skills: Hide 15, Listen 18, Move Silently 15, Survival 18
Feats:
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: ?

1Shadow Meld: Ing have the ability to become one with darkness. An Inglet can only move through the shadows so they must meld into them. When melded, an Inglet can move through any connected shadows. It gains damage reduction of 1/- but cannot attack and does not benefit from any AC enhancing spells.

2Pure Ing: All Ing have specific qualities. Here is a list of all of them. Some may only pertain to specific kinds of Ing and will be marked as such.

Extreme light sensitivity: Ing are not only blinded by light, but are hurt by it. Being creatures of pure darkness, any light will hurt them, to varying degrees. When exposed to low lights such as torches or small flames, Ing take damage equal to 1d4+1/round spent in light. When exposed to normal light such as a light spell or sunrod, Ing take damage equal to 2d4+2/round spent in the light. When exposed to pure sunlight or a Sunburst effect, Ing must make a DC 20 Fortitude save or die instantly. This light must be purposefully lit or cast in order to hurt the creature, as Ing will avoid any light that they can see before a battle.
Shadow Meld: All Ing have the Shadow Meld ability granting them a shadow speed. The terrain the shadow is on has no effect on the Ing when melded. However, only Inglets may un-meld on oblong surfaces such as cliff faces. Any other Ing must be on a flat, solid surface to un-meld. When melded, Ing are just barely visible by creatures with darkvision. Melding is a standard action.
Possession: Any Ing, apart from Inglets, can possess living creatures as a full-round action, up to a specific hit die depending on type of Ing. The process of possession leaves the creature slightly less intact as it was before. The creature must make a Will save(DC 10+Ing's Con and Wis modifiers) to stop from being possessed. However, each possession attempt deals 1d6 damage to the creature. Each additional attempt compounds the damage from previous attempts. EX: 2 attempts would deal the first 1d6 plus 2d6 for a second attempt. A third attempt would deal 3d6 and so on. This damage is not affected by damage reduction or spells that reduce damage taken.
Dampen Light: Since Ing are severely hurt by light of all kinds, they have evolved a way of putting out lights from a distance. An Ing may hurl a piece of itself up to a range of 120ft to dampen a light. This causes one point of permanent damage to the Ing, but permanently puts out any light source that deals 2d4+1 damage/round or less. Attacking the light source is a ranged touch attack. An Ing of any kind will never use its last hit-point to extinguish a light. It will instead attempt to flee from the light by melding and running away.
Darkvision 120ft

3Howl: At the beginning of any fight a Warrior Ing lets out a terrifying screech. Any non-Ing creature within 60ft of it must succeed a DC 15 Fortitude save or be deafened for five minutes.

4Phase: When a Hunter feels the need to, it may partially phase into it's realm of existence. When it does so, it gains all traits of an ethreal creature except it is still partially visible. Every round it is phased enemies must make a spot check versus the Hunter's hide check or lose track of it completely.

ionlink x
2007-11-11, 05:10 PM
Still looking for a little help here. I've never been really good at creating new monsters and I need new ones for this campaign.

KingGolem
2007-11-11, 06:50 PM
Well first things first. These creatures are aparrently shadow-based creatures, that are capable of moving through shadow and are injured by light, yet they have no darkvision? :smallconfused: Furthermore, in your description of Inglets:

Inglet
Inglets are small, blog like creatures that cling to walls and do manual labor for the Ing. They sometimes guard small openings from intruders where other Ing can't fit. They have no limbs and look more like a dark ball on a stick than a creature.

What is a "blog like creature?" That looks like a typo.

Another thing I noticed was concerning the Shadow Meld ability. The first thing you should specify what kind of action it is to Shadow Meld (standard, move-equivalent, full-round, etc.). Second of all, when an Ing is shadow melded, are they visible with darkvision? Like, if you were looking into darkness with darkvision that contained an Ing, would you be able to see it and/or attack it?

Specify those and I can begin to speculate about their CRs.

ionlink x
2007-11-11, 08:28 PM
Oops. That was a typo.

Fixed the typo and added a bit more info to the Shadow Meld ability.

KingGolem
2007-11-12, 02:43 PM
Hmm...ok. Well I've been looking over these two monsters for a while, and what puzzles me about their CR is their Extreme Light Sensitivity. I mean, it says that bright light deals 4d6+4/per round spent in the light. So you could nearly guarantee the death of all of them within a 20ft radius with a single casting of a 0th level spell. If these monsters were to enter any encounter with a party capable of casting light (the odds of which are very good) then they would have hardly any chance of survival. In order to make these creatures feasibly challenging to a party of low to mid level adventurers, you would have to either reduce the damage that they take from light or give them some way of shrouding their lairs with magical darkness or extinguishing light sources from a distance. I prefer the former option of reducing their Extreme Light Sensitivity, for it is my opinion that no creature should EVER be harmed that much by a 0th level spell. You could probably keep the sunburst save or die thing, since that's just fine for an 8th level spell (and the 6d6x2 damage would probably kill them anyway).

Furthermore, there are 2 other minor details that I noticed in my second analysis that need amending. The Inglets have "hurl" listed as a ranged touch attack. You must specify the range of that attack and the type of damage that it deals. And second of all, you must specify what kind of action it is for posession.

Finally, I have a word of advice: Don't set an Ing Scout loose on a 1st level party. One of them would most certainly die.

Magnor Criol
2007-11-12, 03:20 PM
I would do a little bit of both parts of King Golem's advice vis-a-vis their light sensitivity. Reduce the excess damage they take from it - he's right, a 0-level spell shouldn't be able to harm them that much - OR make it explicit that it has to be a more intense light, i.e. a spell that is intended to impede or harm an enemy with light, meaning a spell that deals damage and has the Light descriptor, or somesuch.
Also, give them the ability to extinguish the light by means of some spell-like ability that lets them create magical darkness. This wasn't an ability they had in the games, but then, Samus couldn't cast spells in the game, either. (Samus as a sorcerer. Hm...)

Also: Blog-Like Creatures sounds like an excellent silly creature template to make sometime. =p

ionlink x
2007-11-12, 04:29 PM
Added a new ability and softened up the damage done by light and such.

KingGolem
2007-11-12, 09:00 PM
Ok, I took another look at it and everything seems ok at a cursory glance. Now for my rough estimations of their CRs:
Inglets: 1/2
Ing Scouts: 2
I think that their whole Extreme Light Sensitivity thing is supressed quite well, for I assume that their lairs have plenty of Inglets that could function like suicide bombers when troublesome adventurers come marching into their lairs waving around torches. However, I'm a bit unsure of these estimates, and I think a second opinion might do well.

ionlink x
2007-11-13, 02:01 PM
Alrighty then. While I'm waiting for a second opinion on CRs I'll just start making Ing Hunters and Warrior Ing.

ionlink x
2007-11-13, 08:32 PM
Added the stat-block for Warrior Ing. Check it out now :smile:

Icewalker
2007-11-13, 08:49 PM
Actually, I think somebody on the forum made an Ing-possessed template.

Sounds like a pretty awesome idea. You'll have to rework the world so they'll be able to pose a threat, or they won't be able to do too much what with not being able to go out in the sun.

Perhaps these dark crystals have been placed around creating bubbles of shadow for them, and some could even carry them around with them. That'd be nasty, a big 20 ft. bubble of shadows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm)with an unknown Ing in it coming to kill people.

ionlink x
2007-11-13, 09:36 PM
I'll look into that for the world. I don't know if I'll be running the actual campaign on this site(I've seen forums that I like a bit more for PbP), but I'll advertise here as well. I don't know if that's against the rules or not...>.>

Lady Tialait
2007-11-13, 09:44 PM
O.O mmmm shadowy goodness *SWAGS!*

ionlink x
2007-11-14, 02:30 PM
Added the Hunter section. Once these guys here are all taken care of I'll begin work on either the world itself, or a Luminoth PC race... This is gonna resemble the actual world a lot, but with less technology and more magic. :smile:

ionlink x
2007-11-15, 02:56 PM
Alrighty then. I guess this is done. I'll just have to judge what can happen in battle with these babies here. Time to start work on the actual mechanics of the world. If anyone would like to help me please feel free.

Holocron Coder
2007-11-15, 03:07 PM
Actually, I think somebody on the forum made an Ing-possessed template.

That would be me :) Check the sig for Darkling.

Metroid Prime ftw. I'll look at those creatures now (I posted first :smallredface:)

EDIT: Cool, glanced over them :smallsmile: The only major point is just how damage they take from light. If I remember correctly, in-game only intense light hurt them (with extreme light being insta-kill). As it stands, a wizard could cast Light (0-level spell), and kill even the strongest Ing in a few rounds. The lesser Ing could die in 1-2 rounds, if that.

As for CR, possibly 4 and 6 for the warrior and hunter, respectively? I'm not that great at estimating CR, though :smallbiggrin:

ionlink x
2007-11-15, 03:32 PM
EDIT: Cool, glanced over them :smallsmile: The only major point is just how damage they take from light. If I remember correctly, in-game only intense light hurt them (with extreme light being insta-kill). As it stands, a wizard could cast Light (0-level spell), and kill even the strongest Ing in a few rounds. The lesser Ing could die in 1-2 rounds, if that.

That's where the high speeds and ability to darken lights permanently come into play. Light only sheds bright light over 20ft. The dim light farther out does no damage to an Ing, but is enough to make it back away. Correct me if I'm wrong there. Also, if it must, the Ing can fling pieces of itself to put out lights. When referring to the game, remember the really annoying bosses later on that could "infect" crystals and becons? That's basically what this ability does, but it's allowing all Ing to do so :smile:

Edit: Also this is a full round we're talking about. Unless they can root the Ing to the spot, I doubt it will stay long enough to take much damage.

Holocron Coder
2007-11-15, 03:36 PM
True...

As an outsider, they'll be banish-able, etc, just so yanno.

ionlink x
2007-11-15, 03:39 PM
Yeap I know. Gives 'em another downside.

My biggest dilemma now is that I want to play in my own campaign.... :smalltongue: