PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to wands?

Particle_Man
2021-05-02, 01:25 AM
Are there alternatives to wands that don’t require a command word to be spoken aloud?

Fizban
2021-05-02, 01:43 AM
For magic, don't think I've ever heard of any. Psionic dorjes use a "command thought," because lol psionics.

Gruftzwerg
2021-05-02, 04:45 AM
Are there alternatives to wands that don’t require a command word to be spoken aloud?

As far as I am aware there is no direct solution to this question. If you can be more precise about what you intent to accomplish, maybe we can tailor some other workaround solution (e.g. a familiar using the wand; or Contingency spell/craft Contingent Spell; or Selective Spell: Silence; or Zone of Silence?)

aglondier
2021-05-02, 06:21 AM
We did a "use activated" item, a hand crossbow that shoots magic missiles.

cartejos
2021-05-02, 06:21 AM
Silence Spell with Mastery of Shaping/Selective Spell/Sculpt Spell

UMD DC25 to "Activate Blindly" (ask your dm)

A Wand Sheath (I believe I recall rules to make WF Components normal magic items)

Particle_Man
2021-05-02, 11:35 AM
Thanks! It was for a mute ranger (missing tongue) that doesn’t want to go spell less. I guess silent spell wand could work, as could a special wand with command word “aaaaaaa” perhaps. Not warforged though that wand sheath is a cool idea.

Thanks again!

Asmotherion
2021-05-02, 11:51 AM
The only thing I can think of is a custom item.

SnugUndies
2021-05-05, 05:19 AM
It was for a mute ranger (missing tongue) that doesn’t want to go spell less.

Wait, does that include his own spellcasting, too? Because if you aren't specifically looking for spell completion/spell trigger items, said ranger could pick up a lesser metamagic rod of Silent Spell for a fairly cheap 3000 gp. This would let him cast his own spells with verbal components (three times per day, anyway.) As a ranger and all, 3rd level spells are almost as high as he can cast, so picking up multiple rods won't really break the bank.

Rebel7284
2021-05-05, 04:11 PM
Surrogate Spellcasting + permissive DM?

It says something about having the correct type of organs, but you only have a voice box and lips. Still might work.

Thurbane
2021-05-05, 05:09 PM
An Amulet of Freedom of Speech (https://web.archive.org/web/20181008022833/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20020125a) would work, but I'm guessing being mute is part of the character and the player wouldn't want to simply get rid of it.

With DM permission, the Non Verbal Spell feat (Planar Handbook) might work. It's meant for casting, but it wouldn't be overpowered to let it work for command words. Even without a tongue, I assume the character is still capable of grunts and other vocalizations.

Jack_Simth
2021-05-05, 07:00 PM
Perhaps a wand made by a drow, with the verbal component done in drow sign?

Clementx
2021-05-08, 12:58 PM
Ask your DM for Ofuda (Japanese prayer/spell charms, the paper strips you see in anime all the time), which require physical actions instead of command word. Like it provokes an AoO and requires Conc checks if disturbed, rather than normal wands. Tie them to an order with a vow of silence or magical tradition like Geometers.