PDA

View Full Version : Can you get the benefits of the Soulfire armor enchantment?

eyebreaker7
2021-05-02, 07:11 AM
"This armor's wearer is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, and energy drain, and any negative energy effects (such as from chill touch or inflict spells)."

Can you just add this effect to a piece of armor (like gloves/gauntlets) and get the full benefit? Or would you still be effected by those types of attacks because you're not covering your body, just your hands???

Bayar
2021-05-02, 08:30 AM
Gauntlets are treated as weapons rather than armor. And gennerally abilities such as those apply to armor. To put them on other equipment you'd have to bust out the custom magic item guidelines which all depend on the DM ruling.

FauxKnee
2021-05-02, 11:26 AM
As Bayar points out, the effect generally has to be applied to actual armor. You can always use bracers of armor though. The Arms & Equipment Guide has a sidebar on page 130 explicitly stating you can apply special abilities instead of just AC bonuses.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-02, 11:39 AM
You could add it to a suit of armor itself, dastana bracers, chahar-aina, bracers of armor, or even just a shirt. The dastana bracers and chahar-aina would stack with light armor, but nothing else would stack (I think; the rules for those are weird).

Asmotherion
2021-05-02, 11:54 AM
I'd allow it on some piece of clothing, interpreated as armor with a +0 bonus (as per the magic vestment spell). I can't confirm this to be raw in any way though.

eyebreaker7
2021-05-02, 12:08 PM
You could add it to a suit of armor itself, dastana bracers, chahar-aina, bracers of armor, or even just a shirt. The dastana bracers and chahar-aina would stack with light armor, but nothing else would stack (I think; the rules for those are weird).

What are those? I've never heard of either one. Why would they stack with light armor but nothing else?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-02, 12:16 PM
What are those? I've never heard of either one. Why would they stack with light armor but nothing else?They're from Oriental Adventures. They're additional armor pieces that are worn with light armor and stack with it.

eyebreaker7
2021-05-02, 12:23 PM
Oh cool. I was just going to ask about pieces of armor like that :) My question is, what is protecting the rest of your body if you're wearing a chain shirt? All the other types of armor cover your entire body. Some with better AC and some with worse AC.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-02, 12:32 PM
Keep in mind that while those items' AC bonuses may stack with the AC bonus granted by worn armor, they don't occupy any of your limited magic item slots. That means to benefit from any magic item properties on those, the magic portion would have its price doubled (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm).