PDA

View Full Version : The Battle

Water_Walker
2007-11-11, 02:36 PM
Ok the two sides are

Defenders: Hinjo,:elan: :durkon: :vaarsuvius:Daigo, Kazumi, and 3 weak soldiers

Raiders: 5 sea trolls and Therkala

Who do you think will win, which if any main charecters will die, How will this affect the order

†Seer†
2007-11-11, 03:10 PM
I think a good part of the fight would depend on what arcana V has to call upon right now. Also, there may be other soldiers we haven't seen, as well as ninjas waiting in the wings to cut down Hinjo.

In short, this could escalate quite quickly ^^

picklepenguin
2007-11-11, 03:33 PM
I'd say that the defenders would win, with some losses (not main character losses). The defenders may be badly injured, though.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-11, 03:37 PM
None of the OotS will die, Hinjo won't die (though he might be captured), some nameless soldiers deffinitly will die, and Kazumi and Diago might die but it's very doubtful.

rickvoid
2007-11-11, 03:39 PM
I'm guessing Daigo is gonna bite it, without us ever learning his last name.

FrostXian
2007-11-11, 03:48 PM
Daigo will have to use his first name, but we also need to consider V maybe too tired to cast spells.
Or perhaps it doesn't work that way? I do not know a bit about DnD rules, just some lore.
Can someone tell me if those trolls are strong? Like, how strong?

Occasional Sage
2007-11-11, 03:56 PM
I think a good part of the fight would depend on what arcana V has to call upon right now. Also, there may be other soldiers we haven't seen, as well as ninjas waiting in the wings to cut down Hinjo.

In short, this could escalate quite quickly ^^

Well, in order to cast the new spell V must have taken the time to refresh his spells since developing it. Otherwise it would be in her spellbook but unavailable. How he did that without resting is weird though.

My bet is that she can unleash a huge amount of beat-down, but will be constrained by the tight quarters and friendly combatants. Remember the fight for AC, where we got the great ariel view of V's lightening bolt, for instance.... I know he has disintegrate and such, but those are single-target effects which wouldn't end the fight immediately, the way it likely needs to.

PhallicWarrior
2007-11-11, 03:58 PM
Let's put it this way: trolls are tough. REALLY tough. They can't be reduced to anything worse than unconscious by anything other than fire and acid damage. As of right now, only Vaarsuvius even has a chance of having the firepower (:smallbiggrin:) to take them down, and even then, Hinjo's junk will take a serious beating.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Edit'd Edit: Nevermind!

Caractacus
2007-11-11, 04:11 PM
But what if it isn't the attack mentioned before?

[Apologies in advance for posting across from the main thread...]

What if we get the attack launched in the middle of all this? Ninja[s] teleport in (or whatever) and we see:

Ninja1 "We bring you death"

Azurite 1 "Aaaaargh" *gurgle*

Ninja 1 "Hey! I never even touched you"

Sea Troll 1 "Gaaaargle!" "Raaaarg"

Ninja 1 "Oh..."

Ninja 2 "Get it off me! Get it off me!

Sea Troll 2 *Munch*

Azurite 2 "What on earth?"

Ninja 1 "Go figure. We booked this slot and what do we get? Bumped."

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-11-11, 04:15 PM
Well, the actual forces are more like:

Elan (Lvl 13), Durkon (Lvl 13), Vaarsuvius (Lvl 13), Hinjo (Lvl 14-15), Captain Axe (Lvl 10?), the older samurai guy? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html) (Lvl 13?), Diago and Katsumi (Lvl 3-4), and 10 Lvl 2-3 sailors and probably double that number of low level soldiers,

vs. 5 Scrags (the actual name of sea trolls) a CR 5 monster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troll.htm#scrag), plus at least one ninja (Lvl 10, as a guess). If Rich follows the inverse square law of ninjas, more would lower the difficulty, while Therkla by herself will completely dominate the ship.

Also, the forces on the ship have the added difficulty of keeping the scrags onboard, to keep them from regenerating in salt water.

So, number crunchers, there is my best guess of the encounter. Any thoughts?

p.s. I had a thought after I posted this the second time. What if Diego DOES die? Although Rich is moving to a "Lighter Tone," the death of a newly introduced and well received minor character could drive home the reality of the danger they all face. Killed on your wedding day? Kazumi already a widow with a little one on the way? A bit dark for this light and clever comic.

David Argall
2007-11-11, 04:30 PM
Assuming trolls lose init, V-lightning bolt, Durkon Thor's Lightning = 26 D6, save for half and trolls have lousy reflex saves, so 90 points on 63 point trolls. Wimps now apply flames to the dead trolls. final score 5-0.

Now the trolls going first allows them to get a little damage in, but while 5d6+21 destroys the low level, it won't even drop V, much less the others. And that assumes they hit with all attacks, and they aren't going to manage that. So again the troll are quickly converted to sushi.

There will be a problem if the trolls manage to mix with the crowd, making the casters hesitate about area effects, but we are talking 6th and 7th level spells. If he is not worried about low level neutrals, Durkon takes them out with a Holy Word or uses summons monster 7 for something like a celestial elephant. V may be able to use a forcecage to eliminate most of the trolls.

And we haven't considered the efforts of Hinjo and Elan except as meat shields. Hinjo is entirely able to dispose of one troll by himself, 2 if he is tricked up [which he apparently is not].

So this battle is entirely one-sided. The party is not even stretched.

Now this probably means there are several more trolls, who will keep the party a bit busy while the ninja interacts with Elan in some way.

Chronos
2007-11-11, 04:32 PM
They can't be reduced to anything worse than unconscious by anything other than fire and acid damage.Not as much of a problem as you make it out to be. You reduce them to unconsciousness, then you burn off their heads with a torch. And these trolls will actually be slightly easier to fight than their landbound cousins, since there exists a simple way to keep them from regenerating.

Spiryt
2007-11-11, 04:42 PM
Sorry, guys but I probably don't understand something here.

Yes, in 2nd edition trolls had to be hit with acid or fire after you defeated them.

In 3nd ed, however it's more logical, and you can just coup the grace them.

Plus, scrags regenerate only if mostly immersed in water. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troll.htm#scrag)

So they won't be such problem.

FabuVinny
2007-11-11, 05:29 PM
Given that V hasn't recharged in weeks and put complete spell effort into locating Haley, I don't think V will be able to provide an easy victory.

So, if that is the case, the emphasis will be on Elan. Luckily, his current delay should give him a circumstance bonus for saving Hinjo at the last minute.

Chronos
2007-11-11, 06:32 PM
In 3nd ed, however it's more logical, and you can just coup the grace them.Yeah, but you have to use fire or acid for your coup de grace attack, which amounts to the same thing.

Greg
2007-11-11, 06:52 PM
Yeah, but you have to use fire or acid for your coup de grace attack, which amounts to the same thing.

Scrags can't regenerate unless in salt water.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-11-11, 10:43 PM

Ummm... What are the boats floating on? :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2007-11-11, 10:52 PM
Yeah, the scrags are on boats in the middle of the ocean, but when they're knocked unconscious, they'll be on the deck and away from the water.

sihnfahl
2007-11-11, 11:49 PM
Yeah, the scrags are on boats in the middle of the ocean, but when they're knocked unconscious, they'll be on the deck and away from the water.
Unless, of course, after the battle, Elan decides to help 'clean up' by tossing the 'dead' scrag bodies overboard.

glissle
2007-11-11, 11:51 PM
celestial elephant
Ah coods beam up an elephant, but ah dunnae kinn if th' ship can hauld it, Captain!

(Sorry, couldn't help it.)

Craig1f
2007-11-16, 05:38 PM

Without regeneration (which they don't have, since they're not in the water), I think that the damage they take is considered lethal. If they aren't thrown overboard before hitting -10 hp, I think they die.

The Monster Manual doesn't make it clear though. The one that Elan killed definitely had X's in its eyes, which implies that it's dead, not simply incapacitated.

Kreistor
2007-11-16, 06:20 PM
Scrags are, yes, weak. So long as they are kept out of the water, they're toast.

And it's made all the easier with Therkla switching sides.

Kurald Galain
2007-11-16, 06:46 PM
Casting Fireball and Thor's Lightning on a ship...

Um...

NOT a good idea.

Bongos
2007-11-16, 06:49 PM
What about Lien the Paladin with the Shark? She seemed pretty tough, could do some smite evil with the lance...she's attending the wedding ceremony.

...can those scrags regenerate in the stomach of a shark? Toss the scrags overboard and let Razor gobble them up.

Occasional Sage
2007-11-16, 07:21 PM
But what if it isn't the attack mentioned before?

[Apologies in advance for posting across from the main thread...]

As has been said, the troll even confirms that they are the expected attack when it complains about Therakla attacking it.

Kreistor
2007-11-16, 07:40 PM
What about Lien the Paladin with the Shark? She seemed pretty tough, could do some smite evil with the lance...she's attending the wedding ceremony.

...can those scrags regenerate in the stomach of a shark? Toss the scrags overboard and let Razor gobble them up.

Stomachs do acid damage which trolls cannot regenerate, as well as bludgeoning damage which they can. Long term, unless the troll cuts its way out, yes, the troll will be dead and digested.

David Argall
2007-11-16, 09:05 PM
Looks like there are several more than the 5 trolls we saw pictured at first, which figures. The party needs about a dozen to have a good exercise.

teratorn
2007-11-16, 09:59 PM
Hinjo (Lvl 14-15),

Huh? Hinjo is about level 11. Check the Class Level and Geekery thread.

Koraks
2007-11-16, 10:37 PM
I think the good guys win, and no major character dies.There could be other events though, kidnapings and the like. Maybe, seeing things badly, the thing that speaks with the black and red bubble will go for that: kidnapping

Hey, a question. Therkla seemed to think that the fact that Hinjo had a few drinks would change something. I don't remember precisely the rules for alcool but isn't it a fortitude save to avoid the negative effects? And wouldn't Hinjo, as a paladin, avoid any negative effects from having a few drinks quite easily?

EDIT: How appropriate! I became a dwarf in the playground in a post that talks about drinking :smallbiggrin: !

teratorn
2007-11-16, 10:48 PM
Hey, a question. Therkla seemed to think that the fact that Hinjo had a few drinks would change something. I don't remember precisely the rules for alcool but isn't it a fortitude save to avoid the negative effects?

I thought it would work like going insane, with a certain probability of acting weird in each round. But he seems ok.

Angafirith
2007-11-17, 01:52 AM
Maybe he was drinking Water instead of the blue wine. How could anyone tell the difference? :smalleek:

Opacity and shade, you say? Yeah, okay. Maybe it's some sort of non-alcholic wine or blueberry juice or something. Therkla may have just assumed that it was alcholic.

Or maybe Hinjo didn't even drink any of it. He did know that Kubota, who was at the wedding, would be plotting to kill him again.

I expect that Hinjo won't die. He's too important, and he actually does seem to know what he's doing. Not in a battle like this...

Antamar
2007-11-19, 06:58 PM
Well, considering that they just finished the ceremony and (assuming the customs are similar to that of modern day humans) they just had a single sip of wine from the toast, I doubt that anyone is drunk yet. Of course, it's entirely possible that everyone has been drinking for awhile, meaning everyone is drunk. Plus, Kazumi and Daigo are assumedly about 3rd-4th level Warriors/1st level Aristocrats (or they just got a rank in Profession: Noble) without any weapons or armor on them, making them essentially useless.