PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Older Spells Converted to 5e

Composer99
2021-05-02, 09:58 AM
Here are two spells from previous editions - creeping doom and destruction - converted to 5e. Would appreciate your thoughts!

Edit to add: I've also added implosion. I wonder about the action cost to repeat the spell's effect. Also, maybe the damage is way off.

Creeping Doom
7th-level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a dried centipede, spider, or scarab beetle)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

Choose a point on the ground within range. A massive swarm of enchanted biting insects and similar vermin appears, originating from that point and forming a 30-foot-high cylinder with a 20-foot-radius circle at its base. The swarm spreads around corners. The swarm can share space with any other creatures in the area.

When you cast the spell, each creature in the area must make a Dexterity saving throw. Each such creature that fails this save takes 2d8 piercing damage and must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take an additional 1d8 force damage and 1d8 poison damage and become poisoned for 1 minute. Each creature that succeeds on the Reflex saving throw takes half as much piercing damage and need not make the additional saving throw. Each creature that enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there must also make this Dexterity saving throw, with the same results on a failed or successful save.

When you cast the spell, each creature in the area must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 6d10 piercing damage, an additional 3d8 poison damage, and becomes poisoned for 1 minute. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much piercing damage and suffers no other effect. A creature must also make this saving throw when it enters the spell's area for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there.

Until the spell ends, as a bonus action on each of your turns, you can cause the swarm to move up to 30 feet in any direction along the ground that you choose.

The swarm is immune to attacks, but can be affected by spells or effects that have an area of effect, such as a fireball or a dragon’s breath weapon. The swarm is immune to poison and psychic damage. When it first appears, the swarm has 150 hit points. Once the swarm has 75 or fewer hit points, it deals half as much damage as normal to creatures in the area. The spell ends and the swarm is destroyed once it is reduced to 0 hit points.

A creature poisoned by this spell makes a Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful save, the creature is no longer poisoned, and it becomes immune to being poisoned by this spell for 24 hours.

A creature poisoned by this spell makes a Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns unless it is within the spell's area of effect. On a successful save, the creature is no longer poisoned, and it becomes immune to being poisoned by this spell for 24 hours.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, the piercing damage increases by 1d10 and the poison damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 7th.

Classes: Druid

Destruction
7th-level necromancy
Range: 150 feet
Components: V, S, M (a scroll on which verses of anathema and wrath have been inscribed)
Duration: Instantaneous

Divine wrath consumes a creature you can see within range. The target must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 6d10 radiant damage and 6d10 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a success. The spell ignores resistance or immunity to either type of damage.

If the target is reduced to 0 hit points, it dies immediately and its remains, including any nonmagical objects it is wearing or holding, are consumed by the spell, being reduced to flecks of ash. Such a creature cannot be restored to life by any means short of true resurrection or the direct intervention of a deity that grants the Life Domain to clerics.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, the radiant and necrotic damage each increase by 1d10 for each slot level above 7th.

Classes: Cleric

Edit to add: New!

Implosion
9th-level evocation
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a destructive resonance in a corporeal creature’s body. On the turn you cast this spell, choose a creature within range that you can see. The target must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 16d12 force damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a success. On each of your turns until the spell ends, as an action you can choose a creature you haven't already targeted and cause it to suffer the same effect. A creature reduced to 0 hit points as a result of this spell collapses in on itself and dies instantaneously.

Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard [maybe Warlock?]

I really couldn't bring myself to add an "insta-death" spell to 5e the way implosion works in 3.5. So I did some adapting here. Also, it would have stepped on the toes of power word kill.

sandmote
2021-05-02, 07:32 PM
Creeping doom looks a bit weak for something so complicated. You've got three damage types and a status effect and you can move the area, but its destructible and the damage is lower than insect plague's even if you fail both saves, which insect plague only has one of.

I'd start with insect plague as if cast with a 7th level slot, and add features to bring the base spell up to 7th level. Probably the part where you can move it, and add a second saving throw that deals poison damage + poisons if anyone fails it. Then when you creeping doom with a higher slot it deals +1d10 piercing and +1dx poison damage per spell level.

Destruction is probably mechanically fine. The average damage is slightly higher than the damage of finger of death, but the spell then ends immediately. Although given this is a pure damage spell, it would probably be good to add +1d10 of each damage type when casting with a higher level spell slot.

Composer99
2021-05-02, 10:03 PM
Creeping doom looks a bit weak for something so complicated. You've got three damage types and a status effect and you can move the area, but its destructible and the damage is lower than insect plague's even if you fail both saves, which insect plague only has one of.

I'd start with insect plague as if cast with a 7th level slot, and add features to bring the base spell up to 7th level. Probably the part where you can move it, and add a second saving throw that deals poison damage + poisons if anyone fails it. Then when you creeping doom with a higher slot it deals +1d10 piercing and +1dx poison damage per spell level.

Destruction is probably mechanically fine. The average damage is slightly higher than the damage of finger of death, but the spell then ends immediately. Although given this is a pure damage spell, it would probably be good to add +1d10 of each damage type when casting with a higher level spell slot.

Thanks for your input!

Regarding Creeping Doom, I agree upon reflection that it's too complicated. I did a bunch of number crunching, and unless you can be sure it's up for three rounds (hardly guaranteed), it falls behind other 7th-level AoE spells. So yes, also too weak.

So let's simplify and upgrade to:
- Creatures in the area make a Constitution saving throw.
- On a failed save, they take 6d10 piercing damage plus 3d8 poison damage and become poisoned.
- On a successful save, they take half as much piercing damage and suffer no further effect.
- Upcast, the spell inflicts one additional damage die of each type.

Hitting 4 creatures when the spell is cast, and assuming half make their save and also that one of them is immune to poison damage, that brings us to a round 1 total of around 119 damage for creeping doom cast from its base slot level. That's against an upcast insect plague hitting for 99 damage on the turn it's cast, assuming hitting 4 creatures and half of them making their saves.

Regarding Destruction - yes, I'll add the upcasting.

Not a reply to sandmote, but as a general remark, since I'm replying and hence bumping the thread, I should mention that I'm adding implosion!