PDA

View Full Version : If I make a Homunculus with an intelligent item in it will it still "see" and "hear"?

eyebreaker7
2021-05-02, 01:13 PM
Would it work if you created a Homunculus with an intelligent magic item in it? I mean would the item still be able to "see" and "hear" like it normally would? How DO they see and hear? They can have better sight than most characters. lol. But anyway, yea, So the idea of a Homunculus is to be used as a spy or helper right? So if I make one with an intelligent item inside of it, will it function properly?

icefractal
2021-05-02, 02:28 PM
I think the item would need LoS to the outside to see, but since a Homunculus doesn't really have a normal physiology that shouldn't be too hard to arrange - you just need a small part of the item visible / sticking out.

Hearing - you can hear through thin walls, so yes, although possibly at a penalty.

Alternately, you could give the item the Sense Link (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/senseLink.htm) power.

eyebreaker7
2021-05-02, 03:16 PM
I was thinking of something like an intelligent gem embedded in the Homunculus's forehead or something. But how would you MAKE that? Kinda like a soul gem in a way.

unseenmage
2021-05-02, 07:27 PM
Ask your GM if Constructs count as magic items in their game.
If so it's as simple as using the Combining Magic Items rules from Magic Item Compendium to smooth the two together.

If you can somehow get your Homunculus to count as a warforged then it could use an Embedded Warforged Component intelligent item.
The third party Amalgam template from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary could do this, with a LOT of GM cooperation of course.

Alternatively a Dedicated Wright Homunculus from Eberron has a built in hammer as a hand. There is precedent for improving built in weapons as magic items in the Brass Golem.
Just make that hammer hand an intelligent item.