PDA

View Full Version : Sasquatch (Gloomstalker Bugbear)

Stangler
2021-05-02, 04:39 PM
So thinking through a concept of a Bigfoot like character that is very nature focused but also reclusive. My starting point is gloomstalker bugbear build based around pole arm master and shillelagh. My only real requirement is gloomstalker 5 at least, Pam for first asi, race bugbear, duellist fighting style.

So couple of multi class options available including cleric, fighter and Druid or some combination. Monk and barbarian may have some potential.

Obvious opinion one is going the next 15 levels into Druid or nature cleric. Get shillelagh from there and benefit from the spell progression. I think this is a good baseline for comparison.

Option 2 Leveraging other cleric subclasses (like life cleric good berries) and getting into fighter for fighting style, action surge, and subclass fun. With this option there’s less spell power but a great nova option and more options for cleric subclass.

So just hoping for some other opinions and options that I may be missing.

Connington
2021-05-04, 04:55 PM
Pretty sure you're going to need to use that Fighting Style for Druidic Warrior, unless you start out as a Druid or Nature cleric.

Stangler
2021-05-04, 07:33 PM
Yeah relying on the multi class for shillelagh is tough and makes going fighter more attractive if you are worried about levelling from 1.

The combo of action surge and ambush is hard to pass up.

da newt
2021-05-04, 09:30 PM
I enjoyed my Bugbear Bear Totem Barbarian Battlemaster Fighter MC w/ PAM and shield and stick. W/ the racial reach, it was easy to trigger lots of Opp Atts. His damage was not huge, but it was very consistent.

Dueling + Rage + ST + magic weapon + maneuver + 1d6/1d4 and 3 or 4 att per round almost every round. Menacing att was his go to move.

Jon talks a lot
2021-05-04, 09:59 PM
There are two ways I can think of getting druid cantrips (I.E. Shillelagh) without MC.

1. Druidic Warrior Fighting Style

2. Magic Initiate: Druid

Stangler
2021-05-05, 12:31 AM
I enjoyed my Bugbear Bear Totem Barbarian Battlemaster Fighter MC w/ PAM and shield and stick. W/ the racial reach, it was easy to trigger lots of Opp Atts. His damage was not huge, but it was very consistent.

Dueling + Rage + ST + magic weapon + maneuver + 1d6/1d4 and 3 or 4 att per round almost every round. Menacing att was his go to move.

Sounds like a fun build. :smile: There are a lot of possible builds that involve a bugbear + PAM + Quarterstaff that are good. Especially if you find a way to include sentinel and/or crusher.

There are also easier and better ways to combine Dread Ambusher and Action Surge. This is definitely an odd duck concept.

I am strongly considering Battlemaster as I think it is probably the most optimal choice, especially if I just go 4 into fighter. The other subclasses tend to require action or bonus action use but the BM doesn't. I think both menacing and trip attack would be effective and fit the theme.

Other strong options are Rune, Echo, or Eldritch Knight. Rune just seems interesting plus would help to put the BIG in Bigfoot. Echo seems appropriate because I think it fits the RP of Sasquatch disappearing and dipping in and out of shadow. EK for much needed spell progression, shield, find familiar, and absorb elements.

Stangler
2021-05-05, 12:36 AM
There are two ways I can think of getting druid cantrips (I.E. Shillelagh) without MC.

1. Druidic Warrior Fighting Style

2. Magic Initiate: Druid

I am assuming Druidic Warrior Fighting Style if not going Druid or Nature Cleric. The plan to rely on Wisdom really means shillelagh is needed ASAP so dipping away from Ranger could delay Extra attack which isn't great. I was kind of leaning towards fighter anyway.

Goji_64
2021-05-05, 03:03 AM
I too am doing a GS/BM (though it's TWF) build. With tripping attack and action surge, the first turn in a combat is lethal. Great synergy.

Wouldn't a sasquatch be more of a nature cleric/shadow monk though? A being who is one with the wilds, and seldom ever seen. Or if you really want to get into it, a Horizon Walker? As some believe sasquatch are interdimensional beings...

Stangler
2021-05-05, 08:05 AM
I too am doing a GS/BM (though it's TWF) build. With tripping attack and action surge, the first turn in a combat is lethal. Great synergy.

Wouldn't a sasquatch be more of a nature cleric/shadow monk though? A being who is one with the wilds, and seldom ever seen. Or if you really want to get into it, a Horizon Walker? As some believe sasquatch are interdimensional beings...

My thought is that being able to disappear into the shadows fits the theme as well as the connection to nature. Fighter is hard to ignore entirely because of the need for shillelagh and duelling and then once you start down that path it is hard to stop.

Option 1 is definitely more appropriate for the theme of being in touch with nature. It gets weird when building it from level one because you likely have to dip cleric or Druid before level 5.

Option 2 could be close too. I could go 5 Ranger, 1 fighter, 5 cleric, 3 more fighter, then rest cleric. At level 11 the build is ahead of the Ranger in spell slot progression which adds a lot to team support at the cost of relatively little.

I am aware that this is not an optimal build but my hope is that it is fun.

Telwar
2021-05-05, 11:59 AM
Hrm. The two things that stand out with reports of sasquatches and weaponry are rock throwing and shoving trees at people.

I think I like the gloomstalker/druid combo for this, using shillelagh on a staff and magic stone for thrown rocks.

TBH, I like the concept!