PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Word of Recall?

jjordan
2021-05-02, 05:27 PM
One sanctuary or many sanctuaries? I can easily see it going both ways.

Protolisk
2021-05-02, 06:05 PM
Personally, I'd rule a single prepared sanctuary. As in, you and all your teleporting guests go to 1 place. You can certainly prepare more than 1 place, but your spell isn't getting split between them.

Reason being, you teleport to A previously designated sanctuary, and you AND any creatures appear in the nearest unoccupied space to THE spot you designated. It seems clear to me that everyone involved in this spell are going to a single location together.

jjordan
2021-05-03, 09:26 AM
Personally, I'd rule a single prepared sanctuary. As in, you and all your teleporting guests go to 1 place. You can certainly prepare more than 1 place, but your spell isn't getting split between them.

Reason being, you teleport to A previously designated sanctuary, and you AND any creatures appear in the nearest unoccupied space to THE spot you designated. It seems clear to me that everyone involved in this spell are going to a single location together.

Not what I was asking, but you answered that question too. You think that word of recall can be linked to multiple sanctuary sites and the caster can take everyone to one of those prepared sites with a single casting of the spell?

Aett_Thorn
2021-05-03, 09:31 AM
Not what I was asking, but you answered that question too. You think that word of recall can be linked to multiple sanctuary sites and the caster can take everyone to one of those prepared sites with a single casting of the spell?

Not sure how you got that from what they said. Everything in the Word of Recall spell is singular, so it seems to be that you can only have one sanctuary designated at any given time. If you try to set up another sanctuary, the DM would have to adjudicate what happens (does it overwrite the previous one, or does the new casting fail) because that part is unclear. However, it seems very clear that you can only have one sanctuary from the spell write-up.

jjordan
2021-05-03, 09:46 AM
Not sure how you got that from what they said.

You can certainly prepare more than 1 place, but your spell isn't getting split between them.

Everything in the Word of Recall spell is singular, so it seems to be that you can only have one sanctuary designated at any given time. If you try to set up another sanctuary, the DM would have to adjudicate what happens (does it overwrite the previous one, or does the new casting fail) because that part is unclear. However, it seems very clear that you can only have one sanctuary from the spell write-up.I don't think it's clear or I wouldn't have asked. :)

You must designate a sanctuary by casting this spell within a location, such as a temple, dedicated to or strongly linked to your deity. It doesn't say a single sanctuary or even 'the' sanctuary and leaves it open to interpretation.

Protolisk
2021-05-03, 11:37 AM
Ah, your original question was really vague so I assumed it meant what answered. Good to know that I still ended up answering your original question anyway.

No where in the spell does it limit the number of sanctuaries you can have, just that you have to go to a sanctuary. Personally, the way I see it, this is a level 6 spell. A weaker level 5 spell, Teleportation Circle, needs more set up, but can have infinite circles memorized. Since Word of Recall already needs your dedication to a deity and needs prior set up to make a sanctuary, limiting it to just a singular sanctuary only is much more limiting than what a weaker spell level could accomplish. It's already limited enough.

While the spot in a sanctuary is labeled as "the", the actual sanctuary themselves is always listed as "a". Which to me means that it isn't required to be One and Only sanctuary, just that A sanctuary need be made.

I could see the argument for just one though. This is a really particular reading of the spell.