PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Player story thread help? Divine lyre.

MonkeySage
2021-05-02, 08:35 PM
So a bard player of mine found a book in game, months ago irl: The book was written in Elven and spoke of an elf who prayed to elven sun god. At divine direction, he created a lyre- the strings were made from the sun god's hair, and even in the hands of someone with no musical talent it's capable of producing beautiful music. In the hands of a master, it's said capable of crowds to tears, or stopping armies in their tracks... While it's possible there's some exaggeration here, it's still a masterfully crafted instrument, and really does carry the blessing of a god.

I want to give my player opportunities to track this instrument down for himself.

Albanymusicfund
2021-05-02, 10:40 PM
Sorry, it's just not very clear what the question is.

MonkeySage
2021-05-02, 10:50 PM
I'm hoping maybe I could get suggestions for how to go about this? I want to plot out a bit of a story, a path this player can take that'll let him track down the instrument...

icefractal
2021-05-03, 04:31 AM
What level are the party, what are their travel capabilities like, and how much time are they willing/able to put into this? Is this a thing you see the Bard pursuing mostly solo, or would they involve the rest of the PCs?

TinyMushroom
2021-05-03, 05:55 AM
When I hear of an instrument like that, I have to think of the mania that some fans experience for certain performers. Maybe you could have the players track down several ruined sites where the lyre got into someone's hands and the situation got out of hand because people would obey the performer without question. Maybe they start finding clues about the lyre around those sites.

The final dungeon could maybe be a temple to the moon/night god, who sealed the lyre's power in darkness until someone worthy of wielding the lyre comes along. You can also keep some of the abilities of the lyre hidden that way if you want, maybe the moon god will allow the lyre to use some of its additional abilities once they see the lyre is being used well.

MonkeySage
2021-05-03, 01:17 PM
Our campaign is *mostly* based around a certain human metropolis, and the main story I've written is set there- but they're currently on a boat traveling to an entirely different continent. My players are currently level 7, and many of them have long term goals (For example, the catfolk rogue is trying to bring back the old thieves' guild in our main city). Good chance he might want to involve the other players.

Additionally, the bard actually worships this sun god (albeit, his halfling aspect rather than elven).