PDA

View Full Version : Potions that can effect AC?

eyebreaker7
2021-05-02, 11:10 PM
Barkskin +2, level 6 +3, level 9 +4, level 12 +5 enhancement bonus to the creature’s existing natural armor bonus
Mage Armor +4 armor bonus
Shield of Faith +2, level 6 +3, level 12 +4, level 18 +5 deflection bonus
Shield +4 shield bonus
Cat's Grace: +4 enhancement to Dex

any others?

Rynjin
2021-05-02, 11:33 PM
Take one OFF that list; you can't make a potion of Shield.

eyebreaker7
2021-05-02, 11:51 PM
You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures.
Why does that exclude shield?

Rynjin
2021-05-03, 12:44 AM
You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures.
Why does that exclude shield?

Because it doesn't target one or more creatures. Shield is Personal only.

Target: creature (see: Cure Light Wounds) is different from Target: You (see: Shield).

eyebreaker7
2021-05-03, 01:14 AM
How am I not ONE creature? lol.

PraxisVetli
2021-05-03, 02:47 AM

It be like that sometimes.

ciopo
2021-05-03, 04:05 AM
Luminous armor?

Also, Uh, I don't know what to think about spells that have conditional targets made into potions.

Like, what do we make of a potion of Incorporeal Enhancement? Can we dirnk it without being incorporeal? can a nongood person drink a potion of luminous armor?

mmmmh

Investiture of the Steel Devil is profane for minute/level, scalable

There are some spells that target shield or armor, so you supposedly can make oils of them? Shield of Warding and Glorious raiments are respectively sacred bonus added to shield/vest

Biggus
2021-05-03, 09:42 AM

Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingPotions

Other potions:

Haste +1AC (dodge)
Reduce Person +1AC (size) +2 Dex (size)
Greater Mage Armor (SpC) +6AC (armor)
Heroics (SpC) can grant Dodge if you qualify for it +1AC (dodge)
Divine Protection (SpC) +1AC (morale)
Elation (BoED) +2 Dex (morale)

Arael666
2021-05-03, 10:08 AM

Because the requirement is not that affect one creature, the requirement is that the spell's taget is "one creature or more". Spells with personal or target "you" do not fit that criteria. It's the same discussion with persist spell and touch range spells.

Darg
2021-05-03, 12:44 PM
If you get a master alchemist to create the potions, they go up to 9th level.

Zanos
2021-05-03, 03:38 PM
Because the requirement is not that affect one creature, the requirement is that the spell's taget is "one creature or more". Spells with personal or target "you" do not fit that criteria. It's the same discussion with persist spell and touch range spells.
It's not the same argument at all, because the SRD specifically says that:

Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.
The persist/touch argument is largely nonsense.

eyebreaker7
2021-05-03, 03:58 PM
[url]

Other potions:

Haste +1AC (dodge)
Heroics (SpC) can grant Dodge if you qualify for it +1AC (dodge)
Divine Protection (SpC) +1AC (morale)
Elation (BoED) +2 Dex (morale)

Do dodge or morale bonuses stack?

Ravens_cry
2021-05-03, 04:04 PM
Personal spells are meant to buff a caster. Being able to make them potions means you can give them to anyone, getting around that. Of course, if everyone in the party pumps UMD, you can make scrolls or wands instead.

Zanos
2021-05-03, 04:10 PM
Personal spells are meant to buff a caster. Being able to make them potions means you can give them to anyone, getting around that. Of course, if everyone in the party pumps UMD, you can make scrolls or wands instead.
Or use skull talismans or hire someone to make you delicate disks.

I don't think that practically many people are going to care if a fighter gets access to personal spell consumables.

Rynjin
2021-05-03, 05:30 PM

Morale bonuses don't stack, but Dodge bonuses do.

Remuko
2021-05-03, 09:01 PM

with each other? yes

dodge with dodge? yes

morale with morale? no

Biggus
2021-05-04, 09:01 AM

As others have said, dodge bonus to AC do stack with each other, morale bonuses to AC stack with dodge bonuses to AC but not with other morale bonuses to AC.

However, note that one of the spells I listed gives a morale bonus to Dex; you can have a morale bonus to AC active and still gain the AC benefit of a morale bonus to Dex at the same time.

KillianHawkeye
2021-05-04, 04:30 PM
Also, Uh, I don't know what to think about spells that have conditional targets made into potions.

Like, what do we make of a potion of Incorporeal Enhancement? Can we dirnk it without being incorporeal? can a nongood person drink a potion of luminous armor?

mmmmh

They can drink them, but nothing will happen.

ciopo
2021-05-04, 04:47 PM
Why not?

I mean, I understand why not, but what part makes it not work, in the rules? You act as both the effective caster and effective target of potions you drink, I'm not finding it mentioned that you have to be a valid target of the bottled spell?

Obviously, RAI it won't work, I'm not contesting that, but (disfunctionally so) RAW you can drink/use a potion of a spell that you normally wouldn't be a legal target for, and ... it takes effect?

I'm going of just by the srd right now, so it might be written elsewhere I guess

Crake
2021-05-04, 07:59 PM
Why not?

I mean, I understand why not, but what part makes it not work, in the rules? You act as both the effective caster and effective target of potions you drink, I'm not finding it mentioned that you have to be a valid target of the bottled spell?

Obviously, RAI it won't work, I'm not contesting that, but (disfunctionally so) RAW you can drink/use a potion of a spell that you normally wouldn't be a legal target for, and ... it takes effect?

I'm going of just by the srd right now, so it might be written elsewhere I guess

You can likewise cast a spell on an invalid target. Drinking the potion is basically the same as casting the spell on yourself. If you cast a spell on an invalid target, the spell fizzles and does nothing.

Calthropstu
2021-05-04, 08:00 PM
Why not?

Potions are like spells cast upon the imbiber.
Since a spell of range personal cannot be cast on the imbiber, it cannot go into the potion. Originally in the 3.5 rulebook, it explicitly stated this. Some of the text was removed for the srd, but that text there states why you can't make potions of range: personal.

ciopo
2021-05-05, 01:05 AM
You can likewise cast a spell on an invalid target. Drinking the potion is basically the same as casting the spell on yourself. If you cast a spell on an invalid target, the spell fizzles and does nothing.

Oh yeah, I see that. Magic overview doesn't say what to do in regard to the "how a target is valid", so very fair point.

Since a spell of range personal cannot be cast on the imbiber, it cannot go into the potion. Originally in the 3.5 rulebook, it explicitly stated this. Some of the text was removed for the srd, but that text there states why you can't make potions of range: personal.
I didn't have doubts about the nuance of range:personal, I knew that. It was a "waitaminute, what about invalid targets" that tripped me