PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian: Path of the Voidwalker

Ralanr
2021-05-03, 02:21 PM
Or Path of the Void. I had an idea for a more crowd control heavy barbarian subclass and while I'm still working out the kinks, I'd like to share ideas I have so far.

Level three: Event Horizon
Your rage channels the all-consuming presence of the void. A dark aura emanates ten feet around you. Enemies caught in this aura treat movement as difficult terrain when moving away from the barbarian.

Credit to: thisdude9001

When raging, successful attacks reduce your target's movement speed by 5 feet. This debuff lasts until the start of the barbarian's next turn.

This was originally something a bit more flashy. "When you rage and every bonus action while raging, you can choose to send out a wave of gravitational energy within a 15 foot cone. Enemies in that cone must make a Strength saving through with the DC equal to 8+Con mod+Prof. Those that fail are pulled five feet closer to you." I also thought of making it push people back as well, but it didn't fit with the overall thematic of being the avatar of a black hole.

Level 6: Dark Orbit
Only in the clarity of rage can you see the truth of the cosmos. And with your very hands, you can direct the universe to act upon others. Using a bonus action, you may force creatures in your aura to make a Strength saving throw equal to 8+Con mod+Prof. On a failure you may move the creature 15 feet within the area of your aura and if they strike a large or immovable object they take 1d6+strength modifier bludgeoning damage. On success they remain in their original spot.

Credit to: thisdude9001. Originally they said end of turn, but I figured bonus action works.

Your connection to the void grows stronger, and such you became a conduit for it. Starting at 6th level, when you rage you gain an aura of ten feet around you. Creatures in this aura treat moving away from you as difficult terrain.

This idea is centered on making it all the more difficult for enemies to escape you. Basically, you got your own orbit (at least, kind of).

Level 10: Centered Gravity
Your connection to the void has grown so strong that its power lingers outside of rage. Your jump distance and height are tripled, and as a reaction, you can reduce fall damage by twice your barbarian level.

So the level 10 ability is one of the more difficult because this is usually a ribbon ability for barbarians. I figured giving them more jumping power fits well with the thematic of controlling gravity. Originally it was double your jump distance and height, a continuous slow fall effect ala feather fall, and a reaction to make you immovable, but that felt too complicated. A friend of mine suggested I make it that you gain a climbing speed equal to your movement instead, but I found that to be very boring an uninspired (plus there are so many ways to get that earlier it just felt bad).

Level 14: Consuming Void
The void is now channeled through each strike. In addition, the all-consuming force of darkness pulls enemies closer, forcing them with you as you move.
Successful attacks against creatures while raging grant you the movement speed equal to five per successful hit. In addition, whenever you move with enemies in your aura, those creatures must make a Strength saving throw equal to 8+Con mod+Prof. Failure forces those creatures to be dragged along, unable to escape your aura. Success allows creatures to escape.

So this is basically turning the barbarian into a Katamari. Note that this movement would still provoke attack of opportunity, but being the barbarian you can afford to take hits. This grants the barbarian a lot more mobility and forced movement on enemies, which I feel allows the barbarian to be a little more interesting on the battlefield. Originally the idea was (in conjunction with the pulse wave) that creatures who failed their saving throws whenever you hit them would take force damage equal to your rage bonus. But a friend told me it felt lackluster.

I designed this in mind to make the barbarian feel a bit more flashy or interactive in some cases. Barbarian subclasses tend to be a bit boring at times (and I love barbarian) compared to other subclass options, so I figured I'd think up something they didn't have. A subclass based around reducing enemy movement seemed unique enough.

It's still magical, which is a totally different gripe of mine, but I'm not that creative.

Iscarabaid
2021-05-04, 01:32 PM
Really cool theme and some great ideas---I think all that's left are questions of design philosophy and clarifications on wording;

Clarification Question: For 3rd level Gravity Pummel feature, how long does the movement speed debuff last? Until the end of the enemies turn?

Balance Question: If we keep in mind Grappling/Shoving/Prone mechanics, and how GOOD Barbarians are at single target control with those mechanics, then is this class too overturned for that playstyle? Or do you believe that this subclass is balanced by the fact that it's still only good at single target control---no AOE until higher levels.

Clarification/Balance question: For the 14th level Consuming Void ability, is there a creature size limit on this ability? Additionally, if it can control creatures, then why not loose, unworn and un-carried objects? Would you allow a player with this subclass to do so?

Composer99
2021-05-04, 04:31 PM
I think this is a very interesting concept for a barbarian. For the most part I think it works well.

I do wonder about Gravity Pummel, though.

Most other barbarian subclasses get a damage boost at 3rd level, and totem wolf exports the damage boost to allies.

Maybe Gravity Pummel should add a small damage boost? Extra bludgeoning damage once on your turn sort of thing?

Ralanr
2021-05-04, 06:12 PM
Really cool theme and some great ideas---I think all that's left are questions of design philosophy and clarifications on wording;

Clarification Question: For 3rd level Gravity Pummel feature, how long does the movement speed debuff last? Until the end of the enemies turn?

I'm surprised that slipped my mind. Probably until the start of the barbarian's next turn. I'll make changes to that now.

Balance Question: If we keep in mind Grappling/Shoving/Prone mechanics, and how GOOD Barbarians are at single target control with those mechanics, then is this class too overturned for that playstyle? Or do you believe that this subclass is balanced by the fact that it's still only good at single target control---no AOE until higher levels.

That's an excellent point I hadn't considered. Against single targets, this subclass is really strong in just being a big bully. It wasn't what I was considering when making it, rather I focused on what it could provide when facing multiple enemies. So it might be a bit too strong to this playstyle, but I think maybe that's ok since it turns the barbarian into more of a CC tank than a striker.

Clarification/Balance question: For the 14th level Consuming Void ability, is there a creature size limit on this ability? Additionally, if it can control creatures, then why not loose, unworn and un-carried objects? Would you allow a player with this subclass to do so?

I didn't imagine a size limit to this ability. Gravity affects everyone, so I figured the saving throw would make it work better since most large or bigger creatures have decent strength scores. I would probably say that loose, unworn, and uncarried objects would get pulled in as well, but I'm not sure on the mechanical effect that would have unlike something like fire.

Ralanr
2021-05-04, 06:15 PM
I think this is a very interesting concept for a barbarian. For the most part I think it works well.

I do wonder about Gravity Pummel, though.

Most other barbarian subclasses get a damage boost at 3rd level, and totem wolf exports the damage boost to allies.

Maybe Gravity Pummel should add a small damage boost? Extra bludgeoning damage once on your turn sort of thing?

Totem Warrior and Ancestral guardian kind of don't (though your point on wolf makes sense) and they are arguably the tankiest of the barbarian subclasses. Since this subclass centers on forced movement and CC, I think it doesn't need extra damage. I'll admit it does make the level three ability not very exciting, and the most exciting ability itself is the capstone, but I'm not sure what else could be added for it, or if there should be something to add.

sandmote
2021-05-05, 12:40 PM
Perhaps add some ability to knock enemies prone at 3rd level, working similarly to the Storm Herald's aura? The current effects seem fine for fighting large groups, but there's not much you're giving the subclass against a single target.

Ralanr
2021-05-05, 04:55 PM
Perhaps add some ability to knock enemies prone at 3rd level, working similarly to the Storm Herald's aura? The current effects seem fine for fighting large groups, but there's not much you're giving the subclass against a single target.

I looked it up, and that's a 14th level ability in storm aura. I feel maybe knocking creatures prone might be too strong with how much CC it has, but honestly I'm not entirely sure. It seems to be clear that the level 3 ability is pretty weak.

sandmote
2021-05-09, 05:35 PM
I looked it up, and that's a 14th level ability in storm aura. I feel maybe knocking creatures prone might be too strong with how much CC it has, but honestly I'm not entirely sure. It seems to be clear that the level 3 ability is pretty weak.To be honest, I forgot the storm herald grants the same benefit, and was thinking entirely of how to format something like that.

Perhaps then you could grant a non-CC effect that's gravity themed? The Explorer's Guide to Wildemount source book has a gravity themed wizard subclass and a few spells you might be able to crib ideas from. Otherwise, maybe some ability to forcibly move allies around as a bonus action, so they can better stay away from the crowds you're trapping around yourself?

Though, if trying to brainstorm idea isn't helpful, please tell me so I know to stop.

sleepyhead
2021-05-10, 06:47 PM
Level three: Gravity Pummel
When raging, successful attacks reduce your target's movement speed by 5 feet. This debuff lasts until the start of the barbarian's next turn.

This ability seems weak and irreverent in most situations. I'd recommend just using your 6th level feature here instead since they both basically do the same thing.

Level 6: Event Horizon
Your connection to the void grows stronger, and such you became a conduit for it. Starting at 6th level, when you rage you gain an aura of ten feet around you. Creatures in this aura treat moving away from you as difficult terrain.

Now I love this concept. Since I believe this should be the 3rd level feature a new 6th level feature could be something along this.

Dark Orbit
You may force creatures in your aura at the end of your turn to make a Strength saving throw equal to 8+Con mod+Prof. On a failure you may move the creature 15 feet within the area of your aura and if they strike a large or immovable object they take 1d6+strength modifier bludgeoning damage. On success they remain in their original spot.

Level 10: Centered Gravity
Your connection to the void has grown so strong that its power lingers outside of rage. Your jump distance and height are tripled, and as a reaction, you can reduce fall damage by twice your barbarian level.

Seems pretty neato.

After thought- at this point you could make the bludgeoning damage from dark orbit magical damage and increase it to 1d8+str maybe.

Level 14: Consuming Void
Successful attacks against creatures while raging now grant you the movement speed stolen. In addition, whenever you move with enemies in your aura, those creatures must make a Strength saving throw equal to 8+Con mod+Prof. Failure forces those creatures to be dragged along, unable to escape your aura. Success allows creatures to escape.

Also very cool. Would like to see the bludgeoning bit here as well.

Over all a very cool and unique subclass though it might slow down combat a bit with all the saves I suggested.

Ralanr
2021-05-10, 09:05 PM
This ability seems weak and irreverent in most situations. I'd recommend just using your 6th level feature here instead since they both basically do the same thing.

Now I love this concept. Since I believe this should be the 3rd level feature a new 6th level feature could be something along this.

Dark Orbit
You may force creatures in your aura at the end of your turn to make a Strength saving throw equal to 8+Con mod+Prof. On a failure you may move the creature 15 feet within the area of your aura and if they strike a large or immovable object they take 1d6+strength modifier bludgeoning damage. On success they remain in their original spot.

Seems pretty neato.

After thought- at this point you could make the bludgeoning damage from dark orbit magical damage and increase it to 1d8+str maybe.

Also very cool. Would like to see the bludgeoning bit here as well.

Over all a very cool and unique subclass though it might slow down combat a bit with all the saves I suggested.

I like your suggestions, I think I'll push them in as it makes things a bit more unique.

sleepyhead
2021-05-10, 09:41 PM
I like your suggestions, I think I'll push them in as it makes things a bit more unique.

Glad you like them :D.