PDA

View Full Version : Adamantine Spine Whip help

SangoProduction
2021-05-03, 08:30 PM
Apparently, the lizard folk fished up a real messed up trout with bones that effectively act as adamantine.

And the DM said that the spinal column can be used as an adamantine whip. No one is currently trained in whips, but that seems pretty cool. Especially as a necromancer.

Then again, I'm definitely considering actually animating it as a skeleton... just need a way to give it legs so it can move around.

But is there a good way to take advantage of a whip that acts as though it were adamantine? I presume it penetrates the normal armor weaknesses of a whip.

Darg
2021-05-03, 09:37 PM
It doesn't bypass the no damage on +1 or +3 nat, nor the -4 AB to deal lethal damage. What it does do is bypass the hardness of an object and if it acts as an adamantine whip in all ways then it receives the +1 masterwork bonus. You can sunder armor or weapons with no hardness to worry about. You could also use it to attack objects in your way like a locked door.

rel
2021-05-03, 11:34 PM
By RAW, you can't make a whip out of adamantine.
Since you are houseruling no matter what, this is a perfect time to upgrade the rather lackluster whip into something decent.

Removing the nonlethal / no damage rules seems like a good start. You could also have it no longer provoke or maybe threaten some of the area you can attack into.

Alternatively, if you happen to be allergic to house rules and fun, you can rule that the monster spine counts as an adamantine spiked chain instead. Rules legal, more appropriate thematically and actually useful as a weapon.

Anthrowhale
2021-05-04, 06:42 AM
The arms and equipment guide has the "Whip-Dagger" which removes the weaknesses of a whip. Find an adamantine dagger and add it to the end? Or sharpen the tail end so you have a whip dagger?

loky1109
2021-05-04, 08:31 AM
spinal column can be used as an whip
Did you see spinal column?
1. Length. Maybe your trout is enough length, though.
2. Flexibility.
3. Spinal column isn't single bone, it is many bones without cemented together. It will crumble.

Zaq
2021-05-04, 09:51 AM
Did you see spinal column?
1. Length. Maybe your trout is enough length, though.
2. Flexibility.
3. Spinal column isn't single bone, it is many bones without cemented together. It will crumble.

Well, sure. But consider this:

And the DM said that [. . .]

So that defines the premise from the start. It's hardly the most physics-defying thing I've heard bandied about, even recently. Roll with it.

Rebel7284
2021-05-04, 09:55 AM
Spinning Sword from Secrets of Sarlona could work.

Sword, Spinning: The spinning sword, or chattaval in Quori, is a whiplike weapon designed by the quori and made of multiple long strands of highly flexible steel.

liquidformat
2021-05-04, 04:06 PM
Apparently, the lizard folk fished up a real messed up trout with bones that effectively act as adamantine.

And the DM said that the spinal column can be used as an adamantine whip. No one is currently trained in whips, but that seems pretty cool. Especially as a necromancer.

Then again, I'm definitely considering actually animating it as a skeleton... just need a way to give it legs so it can move around.

But is there a good way to take advantage of a whip that acts as though it were adamantine? I presume it penetrates the normal armor weaknesses of a whip.

The arms and equipment guide has the "Whip-Dagger" which removes the weaknesses of a whip. Find an adamantine dagger and add it to the end? Or sharpen the tail end so you have a whip dagger?

This is what I was thinking, also I have had a lot of DMs who use the underworld metal whip as the model for the 'whip dagger' rather than the silly idea of a whip with a dagger tied to the end of it which doesn't seem functional...

Either way either going spiked chain or whip dagger seem the best choices. Vae School [Style] feat and Whip Climber skill trick are potential to take and so is Lasher PRC, besides that there isn't much out there.