PDA

View Full Version : An error in #502

TWMC
2007-11-11, 04:31 PM
In the third frame, Elan actually said "Or until you get finally get killed." to Hinjo

Maratanos
2007-11-11, 04:53 PM
Holy cow... That's so... subtle that I seriously nearly posted "how is that an error?"

ysp
2007-11-11, 06:30 PM
I think the title is misleading, I couldn't find any error.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-11-11, 07:00 PM

It's probably fixed by now.

the mysterian
2007-11-11, 07:23 PM

its there, just read the comic backwards and you'll see it fairly easy.

Tre of the Wood
2007-11-11, 07:53 PM
"...or untill you get finally [B]get[B] killed. I cannot belive that I didn't see that right away, or right after you posted about the error. I guess that I just am an badd editor I guess.

Maratanos
2007-11-11, 08:07 PM
"...or untill you get finally [B]get[B] killed. I cannot belive that I didn't see that right away, or right after you posted about the error. I guess that I just am an badd editor I guess.

Yes, you're a bad editor. You forgot to close your quote with a ", you messed up on the second bolding, and you spelled it "badd".

:smalltongue:

picklepenguin
2007-11-11, 08:25 PM
wow. i couldn't catch that even when you posted it. I was like, "What's wrong with it?"

de-trick
2007-11-11, 09:27 PM
never saw that before, ooh well thats why they have erasers on pencils

Gez
2007-11-12, 07:14 AM
wow. i couldn't catch that even when you posted it. I was like, "What's wrong with it?"

This kind of of little problems in a sentence is quite common. The mind tends to to gloss over all those frequently used words that do do not convey meaning themselves but just serve to to articulate the sentence. So, if they're repeated, we just don't take notice of it and and just assume the sentence is fine.

T-O-E
2007-11-12, 09:38 AM
That was the the most subtle error ever. Did Rich consciously attempt to fool us? Or did he make a mistake?

Skyserpent
2007-11-12, 09:40 AM
It happens a lot in comics actually, even published ones, it's even got it's own style of optical illusion that I remember seeing a long time ago. Subtle but noticeable if you're the guy who reads a comic over and over again hoping to figure out some drastic clue as to where the storyline is headed because you have that kind of time.

Ganurath
2007-11-12, 10:59 AM
It reminds me of how the Eiffel Tower is
is in France.

Rinion
2007-11-12, 11:27 AM
I noticed it when I read the comic as well. Mistakes happen, right? :smallsmile: OOTS is a lot better on spelling and grammar than some other webcomics out there.

Koreku
2007-11-12, 11:30 AM
I noticed it right away after reading the comic, but I thought it was just Elan talking and he made a speech mistake, being as immature as he is.

*Templar*
2007-11-12, 12:44 PM
I noticed it right away after reading the comic, but I thought it was just Elan talking and he made a speech mistake, being as immature as he is.

Elan may be stupid and immature, but his lack of intelligence doesn't cause him to have trouble speaking. He's more the "airheaded" type of stupid than the "mentally handicapped" type of stupid.

Crimson Avenger
2007-11-12, 12:56 PM
Most of us have probably made more gramatical mistakes in one page book reports than we've noticed in a hundered or two episodes of OotS.

Personally think Rich is doing a darn fine job!!

Migodnar
2007-11-12, 03:17 PM
I noticed it right away after reading the comic.

Me too =P

But I didn't make a big deal of it, just ignored.

Jack Zander
2007-11-12, 03:24 PM
Elan may be stupid and immature, but his lack of intelligence doesn't cause him to have trouble speaking. He's more the "airheaded" type of stupid than the "mentally handicapped" type of stupid.

Elan isn't stupid. He's got quite a bit of intelligence actually. It's his Wisdom score that is low. Compare to Thog.

Lissou
2007-11-12, 03:26 PM
That was the the most subtle error ever. Did Rich consciously attempt to fool us? Or did he make a mistake?

What about you? Was it on purpose?

And no, the Eiffel tower isn't "is in France". It is in France.

I noticed the mistake in the comic from the frist time I read it. But it's hardly his first mistake like that, and won't be the last. There are even some that have never been corrected at all. Not even in the books.

*Templar*
2007-11-12, 03:36 PM
Elan isn't stupid. He's got quite a bit of intelligence actually. It's his Wisdom score that is low. Compare to Thog.

OK, so put it this way: low INT would result in him speaking improperly, and he doesn't have a low INT.

atteSmythe
2007-11-12, 03:57 PM
Me too =P

But I didn't make a big deal of it, just ignored.

I'd think it's worth pointing out so that little errors like this can be corrected before the book goes to print. It's a minor thing, but a little extra polish never hurts!

Oppolo
2007-11-12, 04:29 PM
OK, so put it this way: low INT would result in him speaking improperly, and he doesn't have a low INT.

Actually, we've already been told explicitly (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0127.html) that Elan has a low Intelligence (aswell as a low Wisdom)

It's still a typo.

*Templar*
2007-11-12, 04:34 PM
Actually, we've already been told explicitly (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0127.html) that Elan has a low Intelligence (aswell as a low Wisdom)

We've been told V's opinion of Elan's intelligence during a moment of temper. Neither V's opinion nor that of any other character necessarily constitutes fact, even at the best of times.

Dancing_Zephyr
2007-11-12, 04:46 PM
See comic with "Squid Thingy":smallwink: in it for reference to Elan's small intelligence. (Dont know the number off hand)

*Templar*
2007-11-12, 04:50 PM
Let me clarify that I personally have no definite opinion on what Elan's INT actually is in game terms; this is all you people debating it, and I'm willing to weathervane whichever way the evidence points once its shown to me. Me pointing out what evidence for one side or the other isn't conclusive, as in the case of V's statement, doesn't mean I endorse the opposing view.

I know this is all off-topic for the thread, I just don't want to get sucked into a debate I don't have a stake in here. :smallwink:

My sole point is this: Elan has never displayed any difficulty in speaking from a grammatical/word order standpoint. Whatever deficiency you attribute Elan...being Elan...to, it makes no sense to think that it would manifest itself that way.

RobbyPants
2007-11-12, 04:54 PM
Maybe Elan is drunk. It reminds me of a line in Family Guy where Peter was plastered at this party, and he says:

"Hey! Where's that Peter Griffin? He told me he'd give me a hundred bucks if I took off all of my clothes off."

Yeah, but I can see where it's easy to miss that. :smalltongue:

Holammer
2007-11-12, 05:14 PM
Never noticed that mistake myself. I got too distracted by Elan's messed up finger in the first frame. Which is still unfixed as well ^^

Chronos
2007-11-12, 06:46 PM
I got too distracted by Elan's messed up finger in the first frame. Which is still unfixed as well ^^That, I'm not seeing. A little help?

MCerberus
2007-11-12, 06:48 PM
That, I'm not seeing. A little help?

Right next to Elan's face level to the mouth and between the face and his hand.

Squark
2007-11-12, 07:20 PM
Whoah!!! Was Rich slightly sick or something? 2 mistakes in one comic...

That doesn't happen often.

SoD
2007-11-13, 06:27 AM
Heh, now I really do feel like a fool...I read the first post and thought 'yeah, wouldn't Elan be saying 'if you get killed' instead of 'when you finally get killed', it does sound a bit like he's expecting and almost looking forward to it happening'. I thought this until someone explicitly posted the real mistake...

Selv
2007-11-13, 09:25 AM
It reminds me of how the Eiffel Tower is
is in France.

I remember a book which had the version

I
love
Paris in
in the spring

... but bullied into the Eiffel silhouette. The point is that linebreaks reinforce the natural tendency of the eye to skim over text and pick out the nouns, adjective and verbs and call it a day. Though now I'm wondering where the French connection comes in... :smallconfused: