PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Anime Character

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-11, 04:48 PM
ive consulted search, which failed both times :smallfurious:, then asked a fellow forumy person and he cant remember a thread like this so here goes, makes a change from the Vs threads aswell hehe

Whats your favorite anime character and why??

My favorite one is probably Edward Elric from FMA, as out of all the characters in animes ive watched he seems like a real person, and hes funny to watch when hes called small hehe

Haruki-kun
2007-11-11, 04:55 PM
Mmmmm...............

Let's see..............

Osaka, from Azumanga Daioh is a good candidate. SouginTou from Rozen Maiden, too. And maybe Yuuko from xxxHOLiC. (she's got a coolness factor.......... as do Maru & Moro and Mokona from the same series)

But pick ONE? Kinda hard, but I think it would be Osaka.

Volug
2007-11-11, 04:59 PM
NEJI HYUGA!!!!!!! From Naruto :smallbiggrin:

And Tsukasa from .HACK//Sign

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-11, 05:03 PM
NEJI HYUGA!!!!!!! From Naruto :smallbiggrin:

And Tsukasa from .HACK//Sign

i agree abit with that but only after he gets his ass owned by naruto in the chunin exams

lipe44
2007-11-11, 05:11 PM
Goku from Dragonball Z, never saw a character that could be at the same time extremly powerfull, intelligent and stupid.

yoshi927
2007-11-11, 05:17 PM
I'm going to shake things up and pick someone who no one knows;

Alice, from Mahou Shoujotai.

:smalltongue:

Guts
2007-11-11, 05:20 PM
Guts from Berserk. Fairly down to earth guy, struggling against himself and his 'Fate', he wasnt as angsty my first impression of him was. He's not educated but not an idiot too.

Cubey
2007-11-11, 05:21 PM
I'll have to go with awesome incarnate, Nagato Yuki.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-11, 05:28 PM
Goku from Dragonball Z, never saw a character that could be at the same time extremly powerfull, intelligent and stupid.
Hercules?

Anyway, I'm a fan of Kyon. Quite possibly the sanest man in anime. Too bad the craziest woman in it latched onto him.

AslanCross
2007-11-11, 05:34 PM
This guy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lelouch_Lamperouge)

He took being an anti-hero to a new level. It wasn't just about sarcastic comments and swearing anymore, or having a power he couldn't control. It was an actual, selfish plan that involved sacrificing almost everybody he cared about. He betrays the world, and well, in the end, the world betrays him.

Can't wait for season II to come out.

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-11, 05:35 PM
This guy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lelouch_Lamperouge)

He took being an anti-hero to a new level. It wasn't just about sarcastic comments and swearing anymore, or having a power he couldn't control. It was an actual, selfish plan that involved sacrificing almost everybody he cared about. He betrays the world, and well, in the end, the world betrays him.

Can't wait for season II to come out.

that guy looks emo to the extreame hehe:smalltongue:

AslanCross
2007-11-11, 05:42 PM
...maybe it's the hairstyle. :smallbiggrin:
You could consider him to be emo, actually. Watching your mom get ripped apart by bullets and your toddler sister get blinded and crippled in the same attack does that to you.

On the other hand, he actually thinks he has everything under control for most of the series. He calmly manipulates his friends to pursue an agenda they think he believes, all the while using them to further a personal vendetta. Just that in the end, everything comes crashing down on his head and the series ends with a cliffhanger.

lipe44
2007-11-11, 05:43 PM
Hercules?

Anyway, I'm a fan of Kyon. Quite possibly the sanest man in anime. Too bad the craziest woman in it latched onto him.

Common you cant compare Hercules with Goku, Goku is the most powerfull person in the UNIVERSE... I also forgot to add that Goku is extremely funny and all enemies always get annoyed by him.

Zimmia
2007-11-11, 05:45 PM
Robin, from Witch Hunter Robin mainly because I empathise with her situation and was always interested to see how she would deal with the stuff thrown at her.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-11, 05:49 PM
Common you cant compare Hercules with Goku, Goku is the most powerfull person in the UNIVERSE... I also forgot to add that Goku is extremely funny and all enemies always get annoyed by him.
Well, they're the same archetype, at least. Some versions of Superman are also comparable, although he's seldom intentionally portrayed as a moron.

Speaking of idiot heroes, though, I am a fan of Kamina. He's so awesome, he doesn't need to think things through rationally.

And someone mentioned Yuki Nagato? Very yes. The only member of the "Rei" archetype I've ever been able to stand, and easily my favorite character on that show besides Kyon.

Cubey
2007-11-11, 05:58 PM
And someone mentioned Yuki Nagato?

At your service!

Very yes. The only member of the "Rei" archetype I've ever been able to stand,
You mean the Emotionless Girl (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.EmotionlessGirl)? She's the most awesome of the archetype, that I agree. However, I personally not only am able to stand, but embrace the archetype. I even liked Rei. Guess I am a shameless fanboy.

and easily my favorite character on that show besides Kyon.
Kyon is awesome too. So is Haruhi. And Itsuki. And Mikuru. And many of the secondary characters, with Tsuruya at the front.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is chock-full of great characters.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-11, 06:03 PM
"Rei archetype", to me, is a little more specific than the Emotionless Girl. It encompasses the tiny albino look and the artificial nature as well. I've been meaning to pitch "The Rei" as a split from Emotionless Girl on TVTropes, actually. We already have "The Ruri", after all.

(Speaking of, Ruri Hoshino is also neat, but I just can't forgive her fanboys for making her take up so much damn screentime. That, and the movie. Man, that movie sucked.)

averagejoe
2007-11-11, 06:06 PM
Nicholas D. Wolfwood. His cross is heavy because it's packed to the brim with mercy. :smallcool:

Also, Major Alex Louis Armstrong, the strongarm alchemist.

Cubey
2007-11-11, 06:17 PM
Speaking of non-Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya characters, here are some of my other favourites. I probably missed someone, mea culpa in advance.

Roy Mustang, from FMA (also Maes Hughes :smallfrown: )
Shihouin Yoruichi, from Bleach
Spike Spiegel, from Cowboy Bebop
Canti, from FLCL
Mamimi, same

EDIT: If I had to make a list of characters that I not only like, but like A LOT, then even the list itself would be long enough for a whole thread.

hanzo66
2007-11-11, 07:09 PM
Also, Major Alex Louis Armstrong, the strongarm alchemist.
A true Manly-Man... (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=472)

I don't exactly have favorite characters. The only character in Anime that I sort of like that I can think of right now is Mayuri Kurotsuchi from BLEACH. I don't know why actually. I'm not much for favorite characters when it comes to Anime, so I'm not sure what other characters I actually like.

Setra
2007-11-11, 09:10 PM
Either Guts from Berserk, or Lina Inverse from Slayers.

Guts because he is made of awesome and win.

Lina because she nukes things.

Okay there's more to it but I'm too lazy to explain.

hanzo66
2007-11-11, 09:39 PM
Oh yeah, Guts is awesome. He's definitely a mention...

Griffith sings too much for my tastes... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXYiFFM7WH4)

2007-11-11, 09:45 PM
Vash the Stampede.

He's a decently good person, who is brave, kind, and refuses to kill people unless he has absolutely no choice at all.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-11, 10:13 PM
Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop.

Dilandau from whichever versions of Escaflowne didn't involve him suddenly being another character in a terribly orchestrated plot device.

Khyron, and Exedore from Robotech are all quite underrated for complexity.

Treize and Noin from Gundam Wing, similarly, do not get the attention they deserve for their writing.

Executor
2007-11-11, 10:24 PM
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/9793/spikespiegelm01vh2.jpg
Spike Spiegel

He's like Bruce Lee with a fluffy green afro. That is to say: Pure awesome. And if you've watched Cowboy Bebop (like any real anime fan should've) you'll find out exactly why.

averagejoe
2007-11-11, 10:25 PM
He's like Bruce Lee with a fluffy green afro. That is to say: Pure awesome. And if you've watched Cowboy Bebop (like any real anime fan should've) you'll find out exactly why.

I'm pretty sure his hair is meant to be black, and the green is just to do the highlights.

Cubey
2007-11-11, 10:30 PM
I'm pretty sure his hair is meant to be black, and the green is just to do the highlights.

Exactly, just like Faye Valentine's faux-violet hair.
What's funny here is that on the aforementioned picture Spike's jew-fro (come on, him being Jewish is a big theory) is definately very black and not green at all.:smallwink:

EDIT: Wow, don't we have a talent to post over small details here!

Executor
2007-11-11, 10:38 PM
I'm pretty sure he has green hair and isn't Jewish. In fact, my old friend Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Spiegel) confirms it.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-11, 10:39 PM
Shaman King's Faust VIII.
More for his manga contributions, but I can still respect the anime version.

Though, no Matamune in the anime makes me cry inside.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-11, 10:42 PM
Let see, favorite character from an anime....
I would have to say it would have to be Kazuma Yagami from Kaze no Stigma.

Now, if we were to expand the title of Favorite Anime character to include characters from Visual Novels
then I would have to say Shiki Tohno from Tsukihime wins.

averagejoe
2007-11-11, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty sure he has green hair and isn't Jewish. In fact, my old friend Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Spiegel) confirms it.

There's no reference listed for the statement about hair color. :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-11, 10:54 PM
And they don't say he isn't Jewish, either. Just that they picked the name because it sounded cool.

SDF
2007-11-11, 11:13 PM
Heh, his name is Speigel, he has racial characteristics, and he uses a rare Israeli handgun. You can disagree and call him what you want, but that dude is Jewish :smallamused:

I'm a fan of
Haruhara Haruko
Roy Folker
Kiba
Shinji Ikari (>_>)
Lucy...

I can't really choose a favorite though..

Executor
2007-11-11, 11:17 PM
In appearance, Spike is tall and thin, but with muscular shoulders. He is attractive, with fluffy dark green hair and reddish-brown eyes

I believe that proves my point.

And I dunno about you, but after watching Seinfeld and Woody Allen movies, I just can't think of Spike Spiegel as Jewish.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-11, 11:24 PM
Try reading Y: The Last Man, then. You'll get what I mean pretty soon in.

Shinji Ikari (>_>)
Also, let's throw rocks at SDF.

Nah, just kidding, he works as a character, it's just I can't see how he'd be a favorite of anyone.

Gungnir
2007-11-11, 11:28 PM
Zangetsu.
http://www.nautiljon.com/images/perso/miniatures/Bleach/zangetsu.jpg

He just oozes awesome and badassitude.

Artemician
2007-11-11, 11:28 PM
Try reading Y: The Last Man, then. You'll get what I mean pretty soon in.

Also, let's throw rocks at SDF.

Nah, just kidding, he works as a character, it's just I can't see how he'd be a favorite of anyone.

Very true. I am also of the personal opinion that this applies to Tsukasa too.

Seconding Vash the Stampede. Why aren't there more people who like him? And Wolfwood. He rocks too.

*On an unrelated note, seeing a Live Action version of Trigun done western style would be fabulous. Who's with me, brethren?

Rutee
2007-11-11, 11:39 PM
Now, if we were to expand the title of Favorite Anime character to include characters from Visual Novels
then I would have to say Shiki Tohno from Tsukihime wins.

I am 80% certain that Tsukihime, like Fate/Stay Night, got an anime adaptation. Not that it makes Shiki less of an.. H-Game protagonist. Boring and uninteresting as a character, just like Shiro Emiya from F/SN. Sorry, just, can not enjoy any main character the target audience is supposed to use as an insert.

Though for my favorite... Haruhi Suzumiya herself, and I'm surprised nobody else has said as much. Though it's for more personal reasons, but I tend to try my hardest to be a 'proper' Genki Girl 'cause of her. I hope I manage to do a better job then her (Because emotionally scarring people through near-rape is hardly what I would call uplifting >.> ) but still. Quite a fun character.

Barring that, someone (anyone?) from Genshiken. I watch for tropes in my life too, and ponder the universe in terms of dramatic appropriateness >.>

Artemician
2007-11-11, 11:42 PM
I am 80% certain that Tsukihime, like Fate/Stay Night, got an anime adaptation. Not that it makes Shiki less of an.. H-Game protagonist. Boring and uninteresting as a character, just like Shiro Emiya from F/SN. Sorry, just, can not enjoy any main character the target audience is supposed to use as an insert.

Apparently Shiro gets deeper and deeper as you progress in the novel, ending in a point very different from his callow starting in Fate. Apparently. What I know is by halfway reading through Fate I felt like strangling him. We'll have to see if UBW is any better (translation patch isn't out yet.. *sigh*). Then again, I'm just watching UBW for Archer anyway, so what the heck.

Alex Kidd
2007-11-11, 11:45 PM
Spike is probably Jewish, albeit accidentally. Besides it makes him even cooler, how many Jewish Jeet Kun Do using bounty hunters are there?

That said my pick for favourite anime character is probably between Spike, Mugen from Samurai Champloo, Vash The Stampede from Trigun, Greed from Fullmetal Alchemist or Haruko from FLCL. It's hard to choose.

yoshi927
2007-11-11, 11:45 PM

Though for my favorite... Haruhi Suzumiya herself, and I'm surprised nobody else has said as much. Though it's for more personal reasons, but I tend to try my hardest to be a 'proper' Genki Girl 'cause of her. I hope I manage to do a better job then her (Because emotionally scarring people through near-rape is hardly what I would call uplifting >.> ) but still. Quite a fun character.

Barring that, someone (anyone?) from Genshiken. I watch for tropes in my life too, and ponder the universe in terms of dramatic appropriateness >.>Haruhi wouldn't be nearly as awesome if she stopped to think about the consequences of her actions. Get in tune with the bandwagon you're on, you know? :smallbiggrin:

Rutee
2007-11-11, 11:48 PM
Apparently Shiro gets deeper and deeper as you progress in the novel, ending in a point very different from his callow starting in Fate. Apparently. What I know is by halfway reading through Fate I felt like strangling him. We'll have to see if UBW is any better (translation patch isn't out yet.. *sigh*). Then again, I'm just watching UBW for Archer anyway, so what the heck.
UBW is not very different for him. Now, he /does/ get deeper in the Heaven's Feel Scenario, I'll grant, and Shiki is probably no different, but their default characterizations are still basically the same person, and are the same as most other H-Game protagonists (I refuse to answer any question on how I'm qualified to speak on such things). Also Heaven's Feel is.. nn. It's not a bad scenario, but.. don't get too attached to anyone who isn't Rider >.>

Oh, and be very nice to Ilya or you're going to be wasting a lot of your own time >.>

Griemont
2007-11-11, 11:49 PM
Being a huge fan of it, I'd have to say Joseph Joestar from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, specifically in Battle Tendency, but he's also pretty great in Stardust Crusaders. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Plus, this. Of course. :smallwink:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Alvinsucks/jojoftw.jpg

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-11, 11:49 PM
I hope I manage to do a better job then her (Because emotionally scarring people through near-rape is hardly what I would call uplifting >.> )
That's most of why she doesn't make my shortlist. I'm not up-in-arms offended by it or anything, it's just...off-putting. Her general abusiveness to everyone gets on my nerves, actually, which is why my preference for characters in that show goes something like

Kyon
Yuki
Haruhi
Itsuki
Mikuru (she's a little too innocent and easy to walk over, if you ask me. It's either a conspiracy, or just annoying.)

Tsuruya's in there somewhere around Haruhi, with Kyon's sister, Taniguchi, and Kunikida following her in that approximate order.

Setra
2007-11-12, 12:01 AM
Spike is probably Jewish, albeit accidentally. Besides it makes him even cooler, how many Jewish Jeet Kun Do using bounty hunters are there?
How can you accidentally be of a certain religion?

averagejoe
2007-11-12, 12:06 AM
I believe that proves my point.

No, I read that. My point was that there is no citation for it, meaning that whoever wrote that just looked at Spike and made a judgement call, which is pretty much what I did, making my opinion exactly as valid. Wikipedia is hardly word of God.

Seconding Vash the Stampede. Why aren't there more people who like him? And Wolfwood. He rocks too.

I would have, but I really wanted to put Wolfwood, and thought it would be in bad taste to list them both. (What, I have wierd and irrational standards of behavior.)

Rutee
2007-11-12, 12:08 AM
Haruhi wouldn't be nearly as awesome if she stopped to think about the consequences of her actions. Get in tune with the bandwagon you're on, you know?
If you had to live with the consequences of my actions, I just might consider it on those terms :P

That's most of why she doesn't make my shortlist. I'm not up-in-arms offended by it or anything, it's just...off-putting. Her general abusiveness to everyone gets on my nerves, actually, which is why my preference for characters in that show goes something like
It bugged me til.. oh the second Desert Island episode. It seemed fairly clear to me by then that, excepting the (Constant) near-rape of Mikuru, she acts the way she does entirely because she knows on some level that they can easily handle it. It's not necessarily nice, but she's not really pushing anyone (Or even abusing Yuki or Itsuki.. but then, neither are lolitas with shapely breasts or deadpan snarkers...) Made her a thousand times more likable. Maybe she knows Mikuru really isn't that innocent either or something... (There's some crazy epileptic trees for her here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG.SuzumiyaHaruhiNoYuutsu)) and only treats her that way since she knows it's an act. But I find that unlikely personally.. XD

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-12, 12:17 AM
Oh, I know. I've seen happily married couples that are worse than her and Kyon's interactions (and the Lone Island Syndrome episodes are a good example of how she really does care for him and for other people when things get serious.) And let's face it: regardless of any conspiracy theories, Mikuru's definitely a spy from the future. She could defend herself/run away easily if she chose to. She doesn't not because she's weak, but because it's her job. So, it's not as bad as it looks. Doesn't mean it doesn't bug me though.

SDF
2007-11-12, 02:34 AM
Very true. I am also of the personal opinion that this applies to Tsukasa too.

*On an unrelated note, seeing a Live Action version of Trigun done western style would be fabulous. Who's with me, brethren?

Hey you can't harp on me about Ikari and then name off Vash!:smalltongue:

True he can be annoyingly whiny at times, but I love what the director did with his psychology. He was a really well fleshed out character that was really human to me.

Amotis
2007-11-12, 02:41 AM
Well...since I am largely disappointed with the anime "characters" it's not so much their (lack of) well developed iceberg construction but their teh hawtness I go by.

Toboe from Wolf's Rain: Yay! Shota! :smalltongue:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5605/toboe8qs.jpg

Haruhi from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Mostly for reasons other then the actual anime...but that's a secret. :smallamused:

http://beconfused.com/images/2007/03/shizumiya-haruhi.png

Though to be fair it's their personalities that make them jumpable as much as their images. So that's enough commentary on their characters.

SDF
2007-11-12, 02:48 AM
Ooh, I want to know teh secret! :P

Haruhi is, well an interesting character but a bit too abrasive to be one of my favorites.

Toboe is up there with Kiba for my favorite in the series... I liked most all the characters in Wolf's Rain though.

Amotis
2007-11-12, 02:52 AM
Ooh, I want to know teh secret! :P

Haruhi is, well an interesting character but a bit too abrasive to be one of my favorites.

Toboe is up there with Kiba for my favorite in the series... I liked most all the characters in Wolf's Rain though.

But it's a seeeeecret.

That's kinda why I like her. :smalltongue:

averagejoe
2007-11-12, 02:53 AM
How could I forget Wolf's Rain! :smallfrown: It's my favoritest ever! (Or something.) Yeah, Toboe is awsome.

Tengu
2007-11-12, 03:04 AM
Yay! Shota! :smalltongue:

That's a guy?

Welcome to anime.

Artemician
2007-11-12, 03:19 AM
Hey you can't harp on me about Ikari and then name off Vash!:smalltongue:

True he can be annoyingly whiny at times, but I love what the director did with his psychology. He was a really well fleshed out character that was really human to me.

Very true. Shinji, Tsukasa and Vash are all wonderfully well fleshed out characters with multiple dimensions. However, they're all annoyingly whiny. So while you can admire what the director did with him, and admire the characters' depth, that's separate from whether you like the character or not, based on their personality.

I do, however, like Vash because unlike Shinji/Tsukasa, he;s a really nice guy, and he has badassitude in barrels. And has a cool costume. :smallbiggrin:

Setra
2007-11-12, 03:21 AM
That's a guy?

Welcome to anime.
I'm honestly more concerned with his name.

Then again that's probably because I'm twisted.

Rutee
2007-11-12, 03:34 AM
That's a guy?

Welcome to anime.

Notice the lack of oversized breasts. Definitely a guy *Nods sagely*

Though I suppose I'm a bit sad at the internet not failing me. Why did there have to be a "They're hot" post? Aside from, you know, Intertubes. <.<

Also, Tsukasa made me happy for any of a number of reasons, but she pulls herself out of her own funk to protect her lover. I probably like her better then Vash, but that's for unrelated reasons. At least Vash doesn't remain an emo punk.

Setra
2007-11-12, 03:43 AM
Any character who is either

A. Both male and female (ie. Tsukasa)
B. Able to take the form of the opposite gender (ie. Ranma)
C. A male who looks enough like a girl that even I can't tell the difference (ie. Bridget)

Does very bad things to me, and yet I tend to like them for some reason.

averagejoe
2007-11-12, 03:47 AM
Also, Tsukasa made me happy for any of a number of reasons, but she pulls herself out of her own funk to protect her lover. I probably like her better then Vash, but that's for unrelated reasons. At least Vash doesn't remain an emo punk.

To be fair, Vash's emo-ness was caused by, um, death. That, and

his twin brother and bestest friend in the whole world slaughtering their surrogate familiy and attempting to genocide everyone.

I mean, as far as emo goes, that's pretty understandable. At least he did something about it. Plus, Vash had the love and peace the rest of the time.

Ossian
2007-11-12, 04:05 AM
Hmmmm....

Well, first place goes to Gatsu, berserk. It's more common to feel sorry for the guy than to drool over how much punishment he inflicts with the dragonslayer. I like the way he drags everybody along, his natural charisma, his determination. Especially as it was described in "the golden years", when he was fighting with the Hawks, and when he began questioning why was he even alive, if he could be more than just a butcher, a mad dog of war that Griffith kept on the leash, his will to be as ambitious as his commander was, but without the infallible faith that the hawk had in himself. Yeah, Gatsu, definitely.

Other than him, we have a good 2nd places in Captain Phantom harlock III, aka Captain Harlock. My secret wish? Not to be like Gatsu or anywhere near his unnatural brute force, but to be hired as a pirate on the Arcadia, a giant warship that could be my house, faring the space without a destination, with a might jolly roger flying in the fri****g vacuum and the massive plasma batteries on the main deck, and oh, the XVI century styl poop castle.

3rd? Oh, well, that's for sheer power. Aiolia of Leo (lion), Gold Saint from "Saint Seya". Before you say he was cut with a battleaxe instead of a fine character chisel, you must know that here, for some lucky combination of events, the series was entirely rewritten. The events are the same, but the dubbing studio thought that with Kurumada's even-below-g. lucas'-standards dialogues it would have been a waste. So, the dialogues and the characters' attitude just ooze with chivalric-epic style.

(special mention to Son Gokou, c'mon, we all shouted ka-me-ha-me-haaa with outstretched palms at some stage)

O.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-12, 05:17 AM
I'm going to say:

Kei from Gantz. He beats other realistic teenager in that he's not a whiny wimp, he's a sex on the brain loser who has to die before he realises life has a point to it. He also gets a badass normal moment.

Lucy from Elfen Lied. She's evil, but it's a tradgedy as to why she's evil. Anakin Skywalker wishes he had her motivations.

Brandon Heat from Gungrave. He's badass and stoic but the show actually illustrates the problems with not talking to people.

I'm going to shake things up and pick someone who no one knows;

Alice, from Mahou Shoujotai.

:smalltongue:

Seen two episodes of the original OVA of that. Alice is the grey haired rich one who wears make up or something?

And someone mentioned Yuki Nagato? Very yes. The only member of the "Rei" archetype I've ever been able to stand, and easily my favorite character on that show besides Kyon.

I know you mean Aiyanami Rei, but when you said Rei Archetype I thought of Rei from Sailor Moon.

I think Nagato actually uses the Ruri archetype. Except Ruri is also a deadpan snarker as well as an emotionless girl, but most Ruri knockoffs are substandard so that's to be expected.

Also, let's throw rocks

I second this motion.

Tengu
2007-11-12, 05:30 AM
Most of my favorite characters (Vash, Wolfwood, Kyon, Yuki, Hughes, Armstrong) have already been mentioned... so let's see if I can come up with something original...

I don't like him as much as those mentioned above, but Vincent Law from Ergo Proxy - because he's a klutz, but shown in a realistic, rarely played for laughs way. And I really though "hey, that's just like me" when he was walking around in dirty, ripped socks, despite having a drawer full of fresh ones.

sun_tzu
2007-11-12, 06:40 AM
My personal favorite is easily Shinichi Kudo, from "Detective Conan". Tons of class, brave, noble, dynamic...and mind-bogglingly clever (Seriously. This guy is in the top tier of fictional geniuses, up there with L, Light Yagami, and Thrawn).

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-12, 07:03 AM
I don't like him as much as those mentioned above, but Vincent Law from Ergo Proxy - because he's a klutz, but shown in a realistic, rarely played for laughs way. And I really though "hey, that's just like me" when he was walking around in dirty, ripped socks, despite having a drawer full of fresh ones.

I liked how Vincent Law is basically the protagonist but for the first four episodes he seems to be a named redshirt.

Setra
2007-11-12, 07:20 AM
Lucy from Elfen Lied. She's evil, but it's a tradgedy as to why she's evil. Anakin Skywalker wishes he had her motivations.
Lucy scares me

I do feel sorry for her but simply put she scares the hell out of me.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-11-12, 07:48 AM
Dark Schneider is easily my favourite anime/manga character. If you don't know who he is, go! Get Bastard!! on DVD and see for yourself just how awesome he is. I couldn't just leave it at DS, so I added a few others in as well:

There's the obvious, Himura Kenshin, which I am shocked as heck no one has seemingly mentioned yet.

There's Karen Kasumi and Kakyō Kuzuki, both from X, deserving mention for being original and interesting characters in their respective ways (one is a call girl who is also a devout catholic and pyrokinetic, the latter is a dreamseer in a permanent coma).

Shōnen Batto from Paranoia Agent also requires mention of being cool simply because he messes with yer head for the entirety of the all-too short series. Satoshi Kon is an amazing director/creator . Check out Perfect Blue & Paprika if you don't believe me. The latter is easily one of my top five favourite anime movies.

Last, and far from least, and another I cannot believe has not been mentioned, would be D, as in Vampire Hunter D (The topic creator said anime, didn't stipulate it had to be a series). I mean this guy seriously radiates so much coolness you have to wear a parka when watching the movies.

Leon
2007-11-12, 08:11 AM
Top 5
Lina Inverse
Zelgadis Greywords
Abel Nightroad
Ašhitaka
Guu

Haruki-kun
2007-11-12, 09:05 AM

I second that. Why is Anakin a tragedy when Lucy is seen as pure evil?

Saithis Bladewing
2007-11-12, 09:05 AM
Ugh, picking is so hard...I'll just rattle off some of my favourites - no real order here, but they're probably my top 5...

Genkai - Yuu Yuu Hakusho (http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/quiz1196outcome5.jpg)
A little old lady with enough power in her index finger to blow away some of the most powerful warriors in the world. A little old lady who makes strategy useless in fighting, only sheer overwhelming power infinitely greater than hers can overcome.

Takumi Fujiwara - Initial D (http://membres.lycos.fr/sprintertrueno/hpbimg/02.jpg)
A god of racing unaware of his talent, working as a humble Tofu delivery boy for his dad. 'Nuff said.

Hiei - Yuu Yuu Hakusho (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f227/uzumakininja7/Hiei/hiei.jpg)
A demon of unusual power, whose strength just seems to increase on some kind of exponential curve. He's cocky, definitely evil at the start, but through some kind of crazy idea of honour and forced bondage, starts to develop a brutally repressed heart. Plus his biting and cruel commentaries on anything his allies do or say is worthy of a <3.

Son Gohan - Dragon Ball Z (http://www.blackthunder185.de/Bilder/Dragonball/DragonballZ/Son-Gohan/SJ/085.jpg)
Unlocks ultimate power, beats the hell out of every major villain in the series at least once (he beat up Freeza no less than 3 times!) and despite being a kid proves himself one tough, awesome cookie.

Yusuke Urameshi - Yuu Yuu Hakusho (http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SB9XC25KL._.jpg)
...You get the feeling I liked this series? He's Goku-like in the way he can be a complete idiot, and an incredible genius at the same time. He also achieves ultimate power, which is always a plus. Unlike Goku though, he hides his nice guy heart behind a brutish, thuggy exterior and threatens to beat up nearly everyone he cares about. Whattaguy.

thorgrim29
2007-11-12, 09:07 AM
I like Pip Bernadotte from Hellsing... he's just a regular funny badass guy thrown in an incredible situation, and yet he manages to kill effin vampires by the dozen and has one of the coolest monologue interruption ever (put a **** in it bulldyke).

Guts is also one of my favourites, beside the extremely ridiculously over the top swordfighting he manages to be beleivable.

Maes Hugues is also one of my favourites, because he's just a cool guy y'know.

Oh and Kakashi from Naruto, bacause he's himself.

Tengu
2007-11-12, 09:22 AM
I completely forgot Kaji from Evangelion! One of the very few characters who are not completely messed in the head, a double or perhaps triple agent, but despite that earning your sympathy (and it seems that whomever is he working for, their cause is good), he helps Shinji overcome some of his personal issues... and then he dies. Sad.

Misato is pretty cool too (except when she enters an emo state), especially in the early episodes where she makes a horrible, but hilarious, surrogate mother for Shinji. And I like Ibuki, Hyuga and Aoba - the girl and two guys from mission control. They are refreshingly sympathetic and normal.

yoshi927
2007-11-12, 10:48 AM
If you had to live with the consequences of my actions, I just might consider it on those terms :PTouche. My reply; do you think you would like Roy (from this comic) in real life? :smallamused: Basically, you have to remember that it's a comedy. Things that make the characters funny are usually things that would make them annoying to be around in real life, but awesome to watch. (eg. Roy's sarcasm, Thief always stealing everything, and, of course, Haruhi viewing other people as objects)

But, you know, Light has a fanclub, and he would probably be the leading jackass in the world if he existed.

Basically, Haruhi's god-tier awesome as a character, but would probably be annoying if she existed.

PlatinumJester
2007-11-12, 12:32 PM
Mugen from Samurai Champloo or Spike from Cowboy Bebop.

Manga wise I like Mimura and Kiriyame from BR.

yoshi927
2007-11-12, 12:54 PM
Seen two episodes of the original OVA of that. Alice is the grey haired rich one who wears make up or something?Dude. That's so far from it that it's ALMOST not funny, but it's still funny by a bit, so hahaha.

:smallbiggrin:

Seriously, I recommend Mahou Shoujotai to anyone who likes anime, though. You can find some of it on Youtube. Awesome plot.

Rutee
2007-11-12, 03:11 PM
Touche. My reply; do you think you would like Roy (from this comic) in real life? :smallamused: Basically, you have to remember that it's a comedy. Things that make the characters funny are usually things that would make them annoying to be around in real life, but awesome to watch. (eg. Roy's sarcasm, Thief always stealing everything, and, of course, Haruhi viewing other people as objects)

But, you know, Light has a fanclub, and he would probably be the leading jackass in the world if he existed.

Basically, Haruhi's god-tier awesome as a character, but would probably be annoying if she existed.

Who's forgetting? There's a reason I only follow the single most important and positive aspect, as it's probably the one that I personally needed the most. But no, Roy would be easy. Deadpan snarker surrounded by lazy misfits? Pft.

Also, I /had/ forgotten Genkai. She was pretty wintastic..

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-12, 04:13 PM
Dude. That's so far from it that it's ALMOST not funny, but it's still funny by a bit, so hahaha.

:smallbiggrin:

I was apparently thinking of Mahou Tsukai Tai. A differant anime with an almost identical name, especially since most of the characters where female.

Somebloke
2007-11-12, 04:31 PM
In terms of most beloved, currently I would have to say Rakka from Habine Remnei. A good example of someone struggling with issues without being a useless little emo.

In terms of hottest, Lucy from Elfin Lied. Why this is so is unclear and disturbs me more than a little.

Somebloke
2007-11-12, 04:33 PM
Lucy scares me

I do feel sorry for her but simply put she scares the hell out of me.That's part of the attraction...

B-Man
2007-11-12, 04:42 PM
I like too many characters to have a favourite. Here's a list of a few:

Miyazaki Nodoka from Mahou Sensei Negima! (or Negima! Magister Negi Magi, as it's called in English). Shy, timid girl that falls in love with her 10 year old teacher. I usually hate the shy girl of an anime and I really don't understand why I like her so much. :smallconfused:

I have to give credit to Kakashi from Naruto. He's cool, but blames himself for the death of one of his teammates.

Konota from Lucky Star. There, I've said it. She the otaku for the otaku!

Komori Kiri from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. She's another quite girl that's won a place in my heart for unknown reasons.

There are probably a heck of a lot more that I could list, but these could be close to being my favourite characters.

Cubey
2007-11-12, 04:43 PM
Lucy annoyed the hell out of me. Her actions are a result of traumatic experiences in the past (although some people encountered worse - even in real life! And didn't snap like she did), but I still dislike her a lot.

I dislike Elfen Lied in general. Move along, ignore the troll bait.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-12, 04:59 PM
I know you mean Aiyanami Rei, but when you said Rei Archetype I thought of Rei from Sailor Moon.

I think Nagato actually uses the Ruri archetype. Except Ruri is also a deadpan snarker as well as an emotionless girl, but most Ruri knockoffs are substandard so that's to be expected.
I've never watched Sailor Moon, but that Rei is the angry, loud, tsundere (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.Tsundere) type, right? Generally, I prefer those characters...Haruhi Suzumiya being the major exception.

To me, what makes Ruri her own little sub-archetype is that she has strong opinions and emotions about things going on around her, she just usually suppresses them and/or gets ignored. Rei Ayanami and Yuki Nagato, on the other hand, are by their nature emotionless and indifferent. They do get more human traits as their characters develop, though. If nothing else, Yuki seems to have developed as much genuine affection for Kyon as you can reasonably expect from a Robot Girl.

Somebloke
2007-11-12, 05:06 PM
Lucy annoyed the hell out of me. Her actions are a result of traumatic experiences in the past (although some people encountered worse - even in real life! And didn't snap like she did), but I still dislike her a lot.

I dislike Elfen Lied in general. Move along, ignore the troll bait.
I can appreciate that- mind you, most abused 10-year olds are not suddenly given the capabilities for speed-of-thought lethal retaliation on a silver platter.

Anyway, it's a matter of how you perceive it I guess.

Rutee
2007-11-12, 05:22 PM
I never saw Elfen Lied, but truthfully, Lucy annoys me too.

Hear me out. I'm not seriously annoyed or anything :P

Main thing is, when listening to people speak about it, there never was exposition on the word "Vector". I had assumed it meant something like the Options in Gradius. Which rock. And then I saw and felt bait n' switched since it was just another word for telekinetic powers. :P

BrokenButterfly
2007-11-12, 05:28 PM
I enjoy anime, but I never really watch that much of it.

My favourite character is Mugen from Samurai Champloo, he has a really visual fighting style and the unpredictable charm of the barbarian.

Started watching Bleach properly at last, 10 episodes in and Rukia Kuchiki is pretty cool...

Redpieper
2007-11-12, 05:29 PM
Vash, with Wolfwood as a close second.

Third place? Tie between Mugen and Guts :smallcool:

averagejoe
2007-11-12, 06:20 PM
I never saw Elfen Lied, but truthfully, Lucy annoys me too.

Hear me out. I'm not seriously annoyed or anything :P

Main thing is, when listening to people speak about it, there never was exposition on the word "Vector". I had assumed it meant something like the Options in Gradius. Which rock. And then I saw and felt bait n' switched since it was just another word for telekinetic powers. :P

This is true enough. However, she did earn a place in my heart when she (the girl with crazy TK) pulled a gun on the guy she was fighting.

Him (sheepishly): Hey, come on, now. Isn't that a little excessive?

SurlySeraph
2007-11-12, 08:35 PM
I haven't watched much anime, but I really like Alexander Anderson from Hellsing. First of all, he's a priest. Second, he's a vampire-hunting warrior priest. If you don't get why I like him yet, look at my avatar. Third, he's insanely badass. Yes, he's a sociopath who places no value on the life of any non-Catholic and murders people for being between him and a vampire. But he's fighting for what he believes in, and is a nice guy outside of combat. Hell, he runs an orphanage. Anyone who is kind to and protective of small children, while willing to completely obliterate anything that poses a threat to those children, is a fundamentally well-intentioned guy in my book.

Plus, he sacrifices his humanity and his life to try to stop his enemy. And then, when his enemy is crying over the fact that he (Anderson) became a "monster" and is dying, Anderson comforts him. Anyone who can be both so kind and so brutal in fighting for what he sees as the greater good is awesome.

Rogue 7
2007-11-12, 10:06 PM
There's the obvious, Himura Kenshin, which I am shocked as heck no one has seemingly mentioned yet.

Kenshin's awesome, and his backstory's suitably tragic, but in the context of the series, I can't help but like Sano and Yahiko better. Kenshin, when not in badass-mode, is just a wimp. A funny wimp, but a wimp nonetheless. Yes, I know it's completely deliberate, but still, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Alex Kidd
2007-11-12, 10:21 PM
How can you accidentally be of a certain religion?

Because the creators didn't know Spiegel was a Jewish name they just thought it sounded cool, therefore accidental. Sure it's an epileptic tree (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EpilepticTrees) but it's one that doesn't dispute anything in the series, has some support and isn't crazy.

Kumquat
2007-11-12, 10:44 PM
I have to say, I love Justy Ueki Tylor from Irresponsible Captain Tylor. He joins the military to have the easy life, and then wins by shear luck and awesomeness.

I also love Kino and Hermes from Kino's Journey. Screw helping people, they just want to observe and learn.

Xilehxt
2007-11-12, 11:41 PM
Ah, so hard to choose....it's easy when choosing within a series, but across series....after hours of agonizing, narrowed it down to two characters, but can't choose in between them...Nagato Yuki from Melancholy and Hiiragi Kagami from Lucky Star.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-13, 12:57 AM
You know, I just read the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (being impatient for the next season to come out and get fansubbed, I've started in on the novels at baka-tsuki.net (http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi)).

Really gives some more depth to the characters, especially Yuki, Kyon, and - as much as anything actually develops her - Haruhi. They all get a bump up on my scale. Or will once it's animated.

(And alternate-Yuki...so disturbing, but so very goddamn cute.)

Artemician
2007-11-13, 01:05 AM
You know, I just read the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (being impatient for the next season to come out and get fansubbed, I've started in on the novels at baka-tsuki.net (http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi)).

Mmm.. I'm purposely stopping myself from reading up to that point, so that it won't spoil the anime when I watch it.

Xilehxt
2007-11-13, 01:22 AM
Disappearance is nice, although, personally, I think the novel is losing steam... Yuki's character is definitely brought out :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't consider this spoiler but better safe than sorry.I mean, sure the story is revolving around Haruhi, but other than the first book, it's been about the other characters.

But yeah, can't wait for the second season. Clannad is going great though so it eases the wait. Kyoani's the best :smallsmile:

Setra
2007-11-13, 01:29 AM
Another character I like, Sora Naegino, from Kaleido Star.

Here is a character, who while having some talent, goes from girl to star, through pretty much sheer hard work.

Unlike a lot of anime characters she isn't just instantly the best at what she does, in fact she pretty much sucks for the first half of the first season, but she trains very hard to achieve her dreams.

Xilehxt
2007-11-13, 01:54 AM
Ah, Sora is nice, although I liked Mei better in Kaleido Star. But yeah, there was some serious training in that anime, scary almost at times; sat around thinking, 'Huh, wonder if that is actually possible...'

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-13, 03:05 AM
Disappearance is nice, although, personally, I think the novel is losing steam... Yuki's character is definitely brought out :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't consider this spoiler but better safe than sorry.I mean, sure the story is revolving around Haruhi, but other than the first book, it's been about the other characters.

But yeah, can't wait for the second season. Clannad is going great though so it eases the wait. Kyoani's the best :smallsmile:

Acutally that is starting to be debatable. If you are a Kyonist like me and read some of the novels VOL9 in particular you may say that the story is really revolving around Kyon.

I mean Kyon is forced to choose either Haruhi and the SOS brigade or the Anti SOS brigade complete with an Esper, Alien, and God (all female by the way. It is is interesting to note that the Time traveler is male).

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-13, 03:22 AM
Well, the story's always been about Kyon, really. Even disregarding the fact that it's entirely from his viewpoint (except for about half of "Someday in the Rain", which wasn't in the novels), he always ends up being the one to instigate the action, despite Haruhi's efforts.

And I haven't gotten to the bits with Sasaki yet...people keep spoiling them relentlessly, and I keep reading even the well-marked spoilers. Bah.

Also, this thread has gotten me re-watching the series now. Man, I think "Day of Sagittarius 3" is my favorite episode, if only for the sheer win of Haruhi drop-kicking the Computer Society President. You just can't beat that for entertainment. Plus, Nadesico references.

"H-Honor to the Computer Society!"

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-13, 03:37 AM
(although some people encountered worse - even in real life! And didn't snap like she did)

Ah, but they didn't have the power to snap like she did.

I've never watched Sailor Moon, but that Rei is the angry, loud, tsundere (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.Tsundere) type, right?

That's not my personal opinion of Rei.

Main thing is, when listening to people speak about it, there never was exposition on the word "Vector".

In biology, a Vector is the medium for transmission of viruses. Lucy's telekinesis can infect people with a genetics altering virus. It's simple.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-13, 03:41 AM
Well, like I said, I've never watched Sailor Moon. I've maybe read a fanfic with the girls as a cameo, and picked up stuff from TVTropes and that one episode of Excel Saga, that's about it.

Setra
2007-11-13, 03:43 AM
That's not my personal opinion of Rei.
Nor mine, but she is often exaggerated to that degree.

Well, like I said, I've never watched Sailor Moon. I've maybe read a fanfic with the girls as a cameo, and picked up stuff from TVTropes and that one episode of Excel Saga, that's about it.
Fanfic, there be the problem, most sailor scouts are often heavily exaggerated versions of themselves in fanfics.

Tengu
2007-11-13, 06:22 AM
(being impatient for the next season to come out and get fansubbed, I've started in on the novels at baka-tsuki.net (http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi)).

A curse on you, good sir! Guess what made me skip classes tonight...

Xilehxt
2007-11-13, 11:56 AM
My favorite episode also, Day of Sattigarus. Just purely because of Yuki though...

Aren't the old classic anime's before those classifications started up? Rei in my mind takes up as a brash but kind hearted girl who doesn't want to show her weak side (well, this is basically the definition of tsundere these days...) add a bit of coolness and a bit of miko. Ah, remember watching these before I really got into watching anime, now that I think back, it's quite scary. (maybe a good thing too, especially with Uranus and Neptune. How would have a young mind taken such a relationship? :smalltongue: )

Blayze
2007-11-13, 12:20 PM
Kamina. Nuff said, really.

"Don't believe in yourself! I believe in you! Believe that I believe!"

Ossian
2007-11-13, 12:24 PM
Kamina. Nuff said, really.

"Don't believe in yourself! I believe in you! Believe that I believe!"

Ah, Kamina made my day in each and every episode (well, till ep.7 at least). When he just slapped the Gurren with the Lagann because the combination "was not beautiful! do it like a real man, Simon!!!!"

Ah, spiral power, who's gonna beat you?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-13, 02:29 PM
My favorite episode also, Day of Sattigarus. Just purely because of Yuki though...
Yeah, her leetness was awesome there. I just have more of a thing for gratuitous violence committed against nerds, I guess. Might explain why I like Nadesico so much...

And I think I already mentioned that Kamina is awesome beyond description, so I won't bother trying to describe him.

turkishproverb
2007-11-13, 03:43 PM
Lucy

Heughs
Kamille Bidan (Gundam Zeta)

Jet (Cowboy bebop)

:smallcool: Quattro Bajina ( :smallwink: )

Subaru (X, Tokyo Babylon, X (TV)

:smallcool: Jamil Neate

Alyorbase
2007-11-13, 04:15 PM
Like most people I have a bunch of characters I like

Tamahome & Tasuki from Fushigi Yugi
Vash & Wolfwood from Trigun
and Ranma Saotome from Ranma 1/2

Somebloke
2007-11-13, 04:35 PM
Like most people I have a bunch of characters I like

Tamahome & Tasuki from Fushigi Yugi
Vash & Wolfwood from Trigun
and Ranma Saotome from Ranma 1/2To be honest, I've always preferred Ryoga to Ranma in terms of who I would root for.

That and Ukyo.

Alyorbase
2007-11-13, 04:42 PM
To be honest, I've always preferred Ryoga to Ranma in terms of who I would root for.

That and Ukyo.

True. I can see that. Ryoga is a good character, but one of his biggest powers requires him to be as emo as he can be (name of the move escapes me atm, but the blast that requires him to be really depressed to pull off). What I like about Ranma is he's a good guy when he wants to be, but when he decides to be a moron, he usually gets his for it. just imho anyway.

Somebloke
2007-11-13, 04:45 PM
True. I can see that. Ryoga is a good character, but one of his biggest powers requires him to be as emo as he can be (name of the move escapes me atm, but the blast that requires him to be really depressed to pull off). What I like about Ranma is he's a good guy when he wants to be, but when he decides to be a moron, he usually gets his for it. just imho anyway.

Really? What I always liked about him was his whole 'the fact that I'm incompetent won't let me stop trying' attitude. That and the fact that both he and Ukyo are really the only two suitors who are, at their heart, decent people.

Alyorbase
2007-11-13, 04:48 PM
Really? What I always liked about him was his whole 'the fact that I'm incompetent won't let me stop trying' attitude. That and the fact that both he and Ukyo are really the only two suitors who are, at their heart, decent people.

Like I said he's a great character for the show, Ranma just fits my liking a little more.

DomaDoma
2007-11-13, 07:25 PM
Nobody's mentioned L yet? Really?

Aizawa from the same series is also nine kinds of awesome. Doubly so in the manga - and I haven't even read as far as the nail mark yet.

Favorite non-Death Note character would probably be Sousuke from Full Metal Panic. Especially when he's displaying his total lack of normal social skills.

Poison_Fish
2007-11-13, 07:44 PM
Let's see, the current 3 that pop into my head.

Kamina, for his pure power of awesomeness and kicking reason to the curb.

Dutch from Black Lagoon. In fact, most of the main cast of black lagoon I happen to find interesting.

Puck, from the berserk manga. Yes, he breaks the fourth wall (and besides another fairy, is really the only one to do it), yes, he's a goofy side character, but for such a bloody manga, he makes everything hilarious.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-13, 09:24 PM
Well, the story's always been about Kyon, really. Even disregarding the fact that it's entirely from his viewpoint (except for about half of "Someday in the Rain", which wasn't in the novels), he always ends up being the one to instigate the action, despite Haruhi's efforts.

And I haven't gotten to the bits with Sasaki yet...people keep spoiling them relentlessly, and I keep reading even the well-marked spoilers. Bah.

Also, this thread has gotten me re-watching the series now. Man, I think "Day of Sagittarius 3" is my favorite episode, if only for the sheer win of Haruhi drop-kicking the Computer Society President. You just can't beat that for entertainment. Plus, Nadesico references.

"H-Honor to the Computer Society!"

Well, I will give someone a cookie if they can name which animes the starships are parodying. One of them is somewhat old school and was never released in America. Also more than 100 episodes plus.

Cubey
2007-11-13, 09:32 PM
Well, I will give someone a cookie if they can name which animes the starships are parodying. One of them is somewhat old school and was never released in America. Also more than 100 episodes plus.

Battlecruiser Yamato, macekre'd into Starblazers. Also one of the scenes has a (censored) Gundam, doesn't it?

There is a possibility that I twisted the titles around a bit, it's 03:30 AM here.

turkishproverb
2007-11-13, 10:04 PM

Legend of the Galact Heroes, and Mobile Suit Gundam.

Battlecruiser Yamato, macekre'd into Starblazers. Also one of the scenes has a (censored) Gundam, doesn't it?

There is a possibility that I twisted the titles around a bit, it's 03:30 AM here.

Battleship Yamato did make it to the states as the altered Starblazers, and also as the Yamato Move series (around 5) so it cannot be it.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-13, 10:10 PM
Legend of the Galact Heroes, and Mobile Suit Gundam.

Battleship Yamato did make it to the states as the altered Starblazers, and also as the Yamato Move series (around 5) so it cannot be it.

You got it. Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Unfortunately, it seems that the Computer Society did not have the strategic brilliance of Reinhard or Reuntal.

turkishproverb
2007-11-13, 11:42 PM
You got it. Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Unfortunately, it seems that the Computer Society did not have the strategic brilliance of Reinhard or Reuntal.

I'm a big fan of Anime that never got big in the USA.

Heck, I'm even a Jamil Neate fan. :smalltongue:

And yea, they did need a Reinhard. Badly.

now... WHERE"S MY COOKIE??:annoyed:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-14, 12:42 AM
Any strategy that consists entirely of "cheat like mofos" is probably doomed to failure if someone on the other team has half an idea what they're doing, no matter the cheaters' leadership. Of course, the other team had Haruhi leading it, so they probably assumed that no one on the other team had half an idea what they were doing.

Cocky
2007-11-14, 03:20 AM
Balalaika from Black Lagoon.. Along with Spike from Cowboy Bebop.

*cough* and Maki from Airmaster.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-14, 05:06 AM
Tough one...

I've recently become addicted to Bleach(chemical jokes go here), so I'm finding myself really enjoying Ichigo Kurosaku and his antics.(it's also because I'm a sucker for giant, magic swords)

I've always really loved Spike Spiegel, hardcore badassery in a messed up suit and ridiculous hair(but he pulled them off). I always liked how laid-back he always was when he knew he could be, and really intense when it called for it.

So it's kind of a toss-up, I kind of have a knack for liking more intense, badass characters like Spike and Ichigo.

Edit: Forgot Faye, I really like Faye.

Reinboom
2007-11-14, 06:43 AM
Out of my top 3 favorites... I only saw 1 of them mentioned :smallfrown:

Lucy/Nyuu in Elfen Lied (mentioned by Closet_Skeleton and turkishproverb)
Tragic, spiteful, evil, nice, kind, emotional, cute, and meaningful... she has a history, a story. She's well written, well designed, and a well thought out character.
The anime didn't dive quite as far as the manga, but even then, she was shown very well developed.
Oh, and nyuu is just cute.

The two unmentioned:
Saber // Dark Saber from Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night, and Fate/Hallow Ataraxia.
er... in the anime Fate/Stay Night... but the games are better... ....
*cough*
She's just stylish, and generally the only character I enjoy for "coolness" factor. She isn't as well developed as my other two choices, but she does have character and personality, albeit the anime makes her a bit flat on personality dimensions compared to the games.

Rena Ryuuguu:
Developed decently well, but what struck me the most significantly for her was in the first arc of ヒグラシのなく頃に解. The reflective conversation, as well as what developed later that - well - I won't give spoilers. Ehrm... even otherwise, her very drawn back personality I could reflect with.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-14, 11:09 AM
Rena Ryuuguu:
Developed decently well, but what struck me the most significantly for her was in the first arc of ヒグラシのなく頃に解. The reflective conversation, as well as what developed later that - well - I won't give spoilers. Ehrm... even otherwise, her very drawn back personality I could reflect with.

The good thing about Higarashi no naka koru ni characters is that whenever they get too emo or pathetic they die horribly and are forced to improve themselves.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-11-14, 11:47 AM
I haven't watched much anime, but I really like Alexander Anderson from Hellsing. First of all, he's a priest. Second, he's a vampire-hunting warrior priest. If you don't get why I like him yet, look at my avatar. Third, he's insanely badass. Yes, he's a sociopath who places no value on the life of any non-Catholic and murders people for being between him and a vampire. But he's fighting for what he believes in, and is a nice guy outside of combat. Hell, he runs an orphanage. Anyone who is kind to and protective of small children, while willing to completely obliterate anything that poses a threat to those children, is a fundamentally well-intentioned guy in my book.

Plus, he sacrifices his humanity and his life to try to stop his enemy. And then, when his enemy is crying over the fact that he (Anderson) became a "monster" and is dying, Anderson comforts him. Anyone who can be both so kind and so brutal in fighting for what he sees as the greater good is awesome.

Hail to the Catholic Avatar of Bad-ass baby!

...Well...anyway since my own personal favorite has already been stated (WHY?! WHY DID HE HAVE TO DIE?! ANSWER ME KOHTA HIRANO!) might as well rattle off some other favorites of mine...

Scar from FMA (Someone explain to me how they don't like him)
Previous number one spot holder: Milliardo Peacecraft (Gundam Wing)
Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach)
And Kurotsuchi (Also Bleach)

...I know theres more but I just can't remember them. They aren't coming.....

Diva. From Blood+ Adorable, killer, smooth white ski.......what was I saying? (The character herself is simply addictive to me.)

Poison_Fish
2007-11-14, 11:56 AM
Gods, how could I forgot Rika Ni~pah'ing all over the place!?

Oh, must have been because she dies so much.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-14, 12:40 PM

Ni~pah? She's really smart, but she acts like a 5 year old. Which means that she's taking the piss.

Taking the piss out of me... :smallfrown:

Diva. From Blood+ Adorable, killer, smooth white ski.......what was I saying? (The character herself is simply addictive to me.)

If you still like her when;

she kills Riku and spends most of her time as a young boy

then I'm severely worried about you.

Meh, I liked her better when she was a crate.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-14, 12:43 PM
Kenshin Himura remains my favorite anime character of all time. Because theres something to be said about a man who's not afraid to refer to any and all women as "-dono" while only refering to himself as "this one". :smallbiggrin:

Poison_Fish
2007-11-14, 12:49 PM
Ni~pah? She's really smart, but she acts like a 5 year old. Which means that she's taking the piss.

Taking the piss out of me... :smallfrown:

eh, it's all just an innocent act. Freaking out random cops is a plus when the 5 year old is suddenly talking in an entirely different voice.

B-Man
2007-11-14, 12:52 PM

Oh, must have been because she dies so much.

I can't believe I forgot her on my list too! She's so adorably cute!

It's a bloody shame that she's stuck in a time loop throughout the entire two series. Having to die all the time then repeat the process. Poor girl, I hope all works out by episode 26 of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai...

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-14, 01:21 PM
Rei from Sailor Moon, because she's so exactly like my girlfriend (in both appearance and personality), it's unreal.

And my current avatar is a Gaia-ised version of Nephrite, from the same series, because he reminds me so much of myself :)

turkishproverb
2007-11-14, 02:01 PM

I will ask again. WHERE iS MY *(& COOKIE?? :smallfrown: :smallmad: :smallfurious: :furious:

Mc. Lovin'
2007-11-14, 02:17 PM
Mines gotta be Don Kanoji from Bleach. All of my "Anime freinds" do the 'BOOOHAHAHA' thing

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-14, 02:19 PM
And my current avatar is a Gaia-ised version of Nephrite, from the same series, because he reminds me so much of myself :)

It is? I kept seeing that and thinking "that isn't supposed to be Nephrite is it? Nah...".

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-14, 05:30 PM
I will ask again. WHERE iS MY *(& COOKIE?? :smallfrown: :smallmad: :smallfurious: :furious:

Its coming. I just have to get it approved by Oberstein. His mechanical eyes see all after all.

Haruki-kun
2007-11-18, 10:45 AM
Am I the only one who's totally in love with this girl?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/BeepBeepBeep.jpg

How could anyone not love her? :smallbiggrin:

Ossian
2007-11-22, 06:08 PM
I don't know this character, but it looks like a manga-Vaarsuvius (that is, IF V. was a girl....)

O.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-23, 01:17 AM
I don't know this character, but it looks like a manga-Vaarsuvius (that is, IF V. was a girl....)

O.

Trust me this girl has nothing in common with V. She is fairly unintelligent and is the but of many jokes.

As to her name, she is OSAKA, from Azumanga Daioh.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-23, 01:42 AM
I should really watch that show...

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-23, 02:01 AM
I am glad that Kamina has been mentioned several times. "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?"

Really though, it does surprise me that nobody mentioned Simon. Simon is quite amazing once he gains confidence in himself, he's a great character and the series is about building Simon up into a proper man.

Also great are the Genshiken cast, I love that series so much and the characters are amazingly well done.

It's been mentioned to death here, but I must xth the mention of the Suzumiya Haruhi cast. Great stuff.

Oh, and for something that's not been mentioned at all from what I can see, the cast from Ouran High School Host Club is fairly entertaining.

Talkkno
2007-11-23, 02:28 AM
Shampoo from Ranma 1/2, she is so cute :smallsmile: and is the only girl that isn't retarded....imo, *Random* I'm chinese too! :D
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/talkkno/Ranma/ad43.jpg

The Pink Wonder
2007-11-25, 01:12 PM
Hmmm.. I'd say that my favourite characters are:

Ukitake Juushirou from Bleach
L and Mello from Death Note

Piedmon_Sama
2007-11-25, 01:29 PM
All-time favorite? I really couldn't pick just one.... Cowboy Bebop remains my number one anime of all time, but I don't know if the characters are my favorite. Which is saying something, because that show is virtually all -about- the characters. (In that series, Jet Black was my favorite for his dutiful/responsible character and organizing/leadership abilities, things I lack pretty strongly IRL but admire).

I also have to mention my favorite from Full Metal Alchemist, Scar. Lots of reasons why he's my favorite.... he's unflinching in his vengeance at any cost, essentially a villain but decent (even honorable) when not pursuing revenge. And naturally, there's his One-Shot-One-Kill power and the badass way he dispatched the Iron Blood Alchemist.

Ikari Shinji of Neon Genesis Evangelion deserves some mention, lastly. Anyone aware of how unpopular he is might think this is a strange choice. Nevertheless, I liked Shinji because of his reaction to being chosen to be a "hero"---he was reluctant to risk his life, as any sane human would be, which made his actions even more ennobling at first and ultimately tragic (without getting into Spoiler territory).

Lastly, Mugen from Samurai Champloo. Although SC isn't in the top 3 animes I just mentioned, the more I think about it the more sure I am that Mugen is my all-time favorite anime character. He's completely independant and unapolagetic about who he is, doesn't waste time overthinking things, lives by his wits and is full of pride.

(I could have mentioned Guts from Berserk, also, but unfortunately that anime is woefully incomplete compared to the excellent manga, and I consider him more a manga character).

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-25, 04:16 PM
Ikari Shinji of Neon Genesis Evangelion deserves some mention, lastly. Anyone aware of how unpopular he is might think this is a strange choice. Nevertheless, I liked Shinji because of his reaction to being chosen to be a "hero"---he was reluctant to risk his life, as any sane human would be, which made his actions even more ennobling at first and ultimately tragic (without getting into Spoiler territory).

Hmm, I still think the Shinji from Evangelion: Retake was the better man. Much more admirable.

Icewalker
2007-11-25, 04:26 PM
Haven't watched too much anime, mainly because I generally hate the cartoon kind of anime, like when characters get mad and flaily and the art changes.

But of what I've seen...I'm gonna have to go with either Light or L from Death Note. They are both pretty damn awesome.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-11-25, 06:16 PM
Hmm, I still think the Shinji from Evangelion: Retake was the better man. Much more admirable.

Never heard of "Retake." Do you mean "Reprise?"

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-25, 08:19 PM
Never heard of "Retake." Do you mean "Reprise?"

Nope, I mean Retake. It was a doujin made by a famous doujinshi circle (I forget the name unfortunately) that many Eva fans consider to have a better ending than the movie.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-25, 08:31 PM
I only found the first two volumes of Re-Take (never mind what I was looking for when I discovered them...) It was kind of like a sweeter-but-still-depressing Evangelion. Enjoyable, as far as fanfic goes. I'd be interested in a concluding volume if it exists.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-25, 08:34 PM
I only found the first two volumes of Re-Take (never mind what I was looking for when I discovered them...) It was kind of like a sweeter-but-still-depressing Evangelion. Enjoyable, as far as fanfic goes. I'd be interested in a concluding volume if it exists.

I presume it was just the instincts of a growing boy.

:smalltongue: JK

Ahh there are 5 volumes in total not including a short epilogue (the epilogue is a necessary read in my opinion but)

But getting back on topic
I can't believe I forgot to include one of the most staple icons for tsundere on my list,
Go SHANA.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-25, 08:37 PM
Okay, five volumes might be a little long, even if it is for something as rare as a well-written conclusion to Evangelion. Still, I might look it up.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-25, 08:38 PM
Okay, five volumes might be a little long, even if it is for something as rare as a well-written conclusion to Evangelion. Still, I might look it up.

Well, more like 4 volumes + a short prologue + a somewhat long epilogue.
Rapidsearch is your friend.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-11-26, 03:01 PM
Oh. Well, I like Canon Shinji just fine. As a portrayal of a neglected child who spirals further downwards it was very moving.

steelwire
2007-11-28, 03:24 AM
i agree abit with that but only after he gets his ass owned by naruto in the chunin exams Wireless Alarm System (http://www.heiman.com.cn/products_en.asp?pc_id=14&pcname=Wireless%20Alarm%20System) emergency button (http://www.heiman.com.cn/products_en.asp?pc_id=1302&pcname=Emergency Button)

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-29, 02:21 AM
I just watched my very first episode of a Gundam show. I already like Char. I think I see the appeal here...

turkishproverb
2007-11-29, 03:55 AM
I just watched my very first episode of a Gundam show. I already like Char. I think I see the appeal here...

Yay! More Converts!

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-29, 04:07 AM
Yes, Char is awesome. In fact, he's so awesome that he (or characters paying homage to him) are almost as much a Gundam institution as giant robots called "Gundam".

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-29, 04:37 AM
Whats-her-name from the Melancholy of ??, otherwise known as SOS brigade.

Can never remember the name, though.

Tengu
2007-11-29, 04:49 AM
Whats-her-name from the Melancholy of ??, otherwise known as SOS brigade.

Can never remember the name, though.

Not that much of a favorite character if you can't remember her name, eh? :smallwink:
It's Suzumiya Haruhi. Or Haruhi Suzumiya if you westernize Japanese names and put the first name... well, first.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-29, 04:53 AM
Or Haruhi Suzumiya if you westernize Japanese names and put the first name... well, first.

but that would be like watching anime in english . . .

haven't seen the anime for awhile, . . . Chad from Bleach is pretty cool too.

turkishproverb
2007-12-02, 04:43 AM
Yes, Char is awesome. In fact, he's so awesome that he (or characters paying homage to him) are almost as much a Gundam institution as giant robots called "Gundam".

Yep. Hence why I like Jamil. He's Char AND Amuro :)

INcidentally, is there a NON-command versionof your Avi?

H. Zee
2007-12-02, 04:59 AM
My favourite anime character is Zaraki Kenpachi from Bleach, no question.