PDA

View Full Version : There is grace in simplicity (Item)

Talanic
2007-11-11, 05:03 PM
I was thinking of allowing the following custom items to be in my game. Let me know if anything abusive or bad pops out. They're like wands, but a bit more versatile:

A simple wand differs from a regular wand in three factors only: Ease of use, maximum spell level, and number of charges. All other factors remain the same.

A simple wand's Use Magic Device DC is 12, down from the regular 20. A simple wand can also be activated by any character with at least one rank in spellcraft whose favored class could normally activate the wand, regardless of whether or not the character has taken levels in the class. Any caster of divine spells can use a divine simple wand, including paladins and rangers. Any caster of arcane spells can use an arcane simple wand, including bards (for non-bard spells) and wizards (for non-wizard spells).

Simple wands can only hold cantrips and first level spells.

Simple wands contain only twenty-five charges when created, down from the normal 50.

In all other aspects, a simple wand is identical to a normal wand, including casting times and cost of creation.

Alex12
2007-11-11, 07:17 PM
Eh, maybe you want to decrease the creation times and costs some, since making a primitive version of something would logically be easier than making the better version. If you don't, at least be sure to have a reason, because there's a good chance your players will ask the same question.

Kyace
2007-11-12, 06:22 AM
Simple and easy to use doesn't mean primitive: a simple and easy to use user interface is actually harder to make than an arcane one that requires you to know how to already do the same thing in a command prompt. A car with an electric starter motor is more complex than the old Model T's with the hand crank on the front /because/ it is easier to use, not despite.

You could say that the same amount of magic is placed into a simple wand as a normal wand, but in making the wand easier to use, it goes through charges twice as fast.

Tor the Fallen
2007-11-12, 06:25 AM
Lower UMD = more rogue buffing at low levels. Expect to see produce flame flame blades, true strike, and detect magic used by rogues with much greater frequency, earlier.

DracoDei
2007-11-12, 06:44 AM
Does the "Craft Wand" feat also cover these?
To be TOTALLY balanced with the basic game these should cost more than standard wands. As a campaign specific tweak, however, that isn't an absolute requirement.

Talanic
2007-11-12, 09:35 AM
Technically, they do cost more than standard wands. Half as many charges, for the same price. Kyace nailed it: an easier-to-use interface costs more. And yes, Craft Wand counts for these.

Flame Blade is out; it's a second level spell. True Strike is in, but subject to the same normal limitations (standard action casting time).

Also, I was thinking of making it a Read Magic + DC 10 spellcraft check to identify a simple wand. And I might change the UMD check to keep the base of 20 DC, but add all ranks in Spellcraft AND Use Magic Device together for the check.

Generally speaking, I was considering adding these to put in a bit more flexibility to the group--bard/rogue/wizard/barb/cleric, all level 3. They're a touch low on their wealth-by-level and have just taken out a nest of kobold snipers (prior to attacking the main part of the kobold warren) and these wands would make perfect sense as loot under the situation. Along with a bunch of alchemical items and other nasties, that is.

DracoDei
2007-11-12, 09:57 AM
Ah... missed the point about half number of charges... Ok. Sounds great.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-12, 10:18 PM
How do these wands interact with humans? Humans have no favored class.

Talanic
2007-11-13, 02:17 AM
No, humans get to choose their favored class. They still have one; it's just chosen on an individual basis.

Tor the Fallen
2007-11-13, 02:21 PM
No, humans get to choose their favored class. They still have one; it's just chosen on an individual basis.

Actually, a human's highest level class counts as his favored class.