Secret handshake for sidebars. :)

ARMOURERERIC
2006-01-28, 12:55 AM
:o

For a moment, I was getting ready to get Roy and Co. "Club Gitmo" shirts

Eric

bluewurm
2006-01-28, 12:55 AM
i guess sometimes you just need to move the story along at the expense of being funny...this was my least favorite of 272 comics...well, next to the one where they cursed us with miko's existence.

Evilimpofdoom
2006-01-28, 12:56 AM
"You didn't think a lawful good government automatically meant free speech did you?"

Ha Ha Ha!

That is showing up in my next gaming session, and I don't care who gets railroaded so I can make it fit!

turtlejay
And not a moment too soon!

Thanks, Giant.

TheLastOfTheFallen
Loved it. Definatly worth the wait!

Oh, and I'm glad he answered the comments of all those "it's not realistic" people. :P

PhoeKun
2006-01-28, 12:58 AM
Now I love Lord Shojo. This is honor, people. This is how Paladins do business.

Props to Celia on a very competent defense thus far, as well. And of course, a big thumbs up to the Giant for making it all.

In other news, Elan is responsible for roughly 5% of all smiles in the world at any given time. This strip is proof.

Mateo
2006-01-28, 12:58 AM
Woo Hoo!!!!!

Ilaun_Undil
2006-01-28, 12:59 AM
yeah Meow? ok Now I'm going to bed. I gorggy groggy groggy groggy...

ref
2006-01-28, 01:01 AM
cool! I get to post in page 1! dun dun DUN!

Celia is doing well so far, but she'll have to work harder. Good try on the mistrial, though. :)

Also: Mr. Jones is Shojo's son? (yes, I know it could be afective, but then, judge and prosecutor shouldn't have that level of affection...) Go team Mistrial!

mastroyo
2006-01-28, 01:02 AM
:-/

I know, the OotS are in a trasition phase... but...
the best about this comic for me, was what going to happen in next... for me... only... imho... not that it's bad.... nor am i complaining... ok, enough.

Devoured_Dude
2006-01-28, 01:03 AM
Great comic, Giant.

It`s kinda like a kafkaesque, extradimensional Ally McBeal, with a kitty!

Or maybe I need sleep.

Count-Tyr
2006-01-28, 01:04 AM
Great comic there once again

theKOT
2006-01-28, 01:04 AM
That....Was..... GREAT!!!! Wow, this was so perfect! The jokes were well placed, the plot moved fluidly, the characters were believable(as much as D&D characters can be anyway) and the characters got to vent some of the frustrations that had been building on this board, completely coincidentally!
Shaking his head in disbelief,
The KOT

Single Shot Zombie
2006-01-28, 01:07 AM
Dun, dun, dun........reminds me of Red Mage. :P

And is Celia the only competent lawyer in here?

And speaking of Red Mage........*yoink!*

Istielthia
2006-01-28, 01:08 AM
Now that the twitching has stopped, I can post again.

Loved the "Dun dun DUN!"...god that was fantastic...especially since that's something I do at least 5 times a day.

Celia's doing a great job on defense, even if she's only a paraelemental.

All in all... 2 thumbs up!

Lao_Dragon_Ninja
2006-01-28, 01:18 AM
Wow. I loved the part when Celia said she was hoping for a mistrial instead of plot exposition. And return of the dramatic musical tune.

rosebud
2006-01-28, 01:19 AM
YAY! Thank You Thank You Thank You. :D :D :D :D :D :D

(Needless to say, I liked this comic. :) :) :))

Aside from the reading of charges and explanation of proof (and lovingly calling it state secrets), lets see:

Favorite phrase: castle blowing upness
Random tidbit: Azure City law is one page long? :)
Second favorite phrase: Meow? ;D

Knight13
2006-01-28, 01:23 AM
I don't really know why this charge is such a big deal. "Weakening the fabric of the universe" is something that happens on a daily basis in the world of dnd. Especially since it's more of a multiverse.

Mas_Sinoda
2006-01-28, 01:25 AM
Thanks for putting it up. Started getting a bit nervous there...

Loved the "DUN DUN DUN!". Was it an 8-bit theater reference? I do it all the time and get the same response. It's a shame some people don't know the proper story-line theatrics...

scene24
2006-01-28, 01:25 AM
Not funny?? Well, I laughed! Anyway, who says every strip has to have big laughs? It's a campaign, not a one-shot!

Enjoy the story. It's Order of the Stick, not Order of the Schtick!

Odd_Thomas
2006-01-28, 01:26 AM
I like the lawyer in the nice suit not the smart one... sidebar...lol.

Euphemism
2006-01-28, 01:27 AM
I was wondering if the Giant was going to wait to 11:59 - I would have, with some of the rather rude insistence in the previous thread.

That said, loved it. Some of my gaming group's most heated debates are over such trivia as presented here. And the DUN DUN DUN... Classic.

Winged One
2006-01-28, 01:29 AM
Ah...loved it. A laugh almost every panel, and a foundation-shaking cackle at the end. Typical OotS. ;D

Bakta
2006-01-28, 01:30 AM
"Dun dun DUN!!"

It all began at the dawn of time..

Now my mind is stubbornly trying to work out the first notes of "Also sprach Zarathustra" on a kazoo along picturing an ape throwing a bone in the air.

Godhand
2006-01-28, 01:31 AM
Jones is slowing becoming my favorite character. He's got Roy beat hands down on the striaght man bit, but Roy's got Elan so it evens out.

"You didn't think a lawful good government automatically meant free speech did you?"

Hah! Classic.

Grey Watcher
2006-01-28, 01:32 AM
...picturing an ape throwing a bone in the air.

Nah, in this case, it'd probably be a cat. :-)

Brasswatchman
2006-01-28, 01:34 AM

Damn straight. Gotta admit at this point that this guy actually is good. Then again, I guess a Gitmo situation would be easier to handle if you had the ability to magically wipe people's memories...

Krytha
2006-01-28, 01:36 AM
I dont know how knowing a secret links someone to weakening the fabric of the universe either. It must be one hell of a secret...

ekedolphin
2006-01-28, 01:47 AM
Loved the comic, as usual. Another phrase I liked that no one's mentioned yet (I think) is "The charge given was 'weakening the fabric of the universe,' not, I don't know, 'castle blowing upness.'" Hee!

The "dun-dun-DUN!" thing was classic. Wow, haven't busted that out in quite some time-- I think the last time Elan did the dramatic musical cue was when the Order first came face-to-face with the Linear Guild.

I like that Celia's actually quite a competent lawyer. So now there are two competent lawyers in the world, and one man wearing a very expensive suit? (Gotta love Phil Rodriguez's "sidebar" comment, too.)

Nodles
2006-01-28, 01:59 AM
Ok... fair enough, no Miko vs Belkar yet, but, since ive been discovering 8bit theater as of late:

Dun dun DUN!! Gotta love Elan's Red Mageness ;D ;D ;D

Skyserpent
2006-01-28, 02:02 AM
Scruffy is wise beyond words... heed our great Feline's advice...

I am SO making a cult of Scruffy...

idksocrates
2006-01-28, 02:06 AM
it wasn't the "dun dun dun!" that got me, it was roy's annoyed response. Just hearing him yell "Elan" gave me my first laugh since Xykon's last appearance.

Evik
2006-01-28, 02:19 AM
HAHA
secret handshakes for sidebar confrence lol
hmm starting from the dawn of time huh ...i think we are all gonna have to shave before Lord Shojo finishes his explaination...

Fishies
2006-01-28, 02:30 AM
The Giant is a master of suspense.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-01-28, 02:34 AM
"Dun dun DUN!!"

It all began at the dawn of time..

Now my mind is stubbornly trying to work out the first notes of "Also sprach Zarathustra" on a kazoo along picturing an ape throwing a bone in the air.

ROTF, LOL - ok, now I'll never be able to remove that music from the strip!

theKOT
2006-01-28, 02:40 AM
Scruffy is wise beyond words... heed our great Feline's advice...

I am SO making a cult of Scruffy...

Oh gosh, lemme guess: It'll be called "Me love Scruffy" or "The cult of Scrufhulhu!". ;)

Duskrider_Moogle
2006-01-28, 02:41 AM
"Stop doing dramatic musical cues for the crazy judge/lord!"

rosebud
2006-01-28, 02:44 AM
i guess sometimes you just need to move the story along at the expense of being funny...You need to get out less. :D It's hysterical if you've been reading the insanely long threads about the status and legality of the charges and the recent thread about the strength of the prosecution's case.

retnuhytnuob
2006-01-28, 02:52 AM

Damn straight. Gotta admit at this point that this guy actually is good. Then again, I guess a Gitmo situation would be easier to handle if you had the ability to magically wipe people's memories...

Actually... I'm wondering if Lord Sojo is himself a paladin... :-X

Also: this 'Paraelemental' seems to have taken quite an interest in her studies. (these other two that have been seen around must have skipped class to party much of the time)

Love the comic series... to the extent that this is the one place I check 'day of' several times. Been here since just before what started this mess happened, and Miss "blue guy" still seems to me the "new kid on the block"... then again, it may always be that way for me.

Athalos
2006-01-28, 02:59 AM
Between the Miko/Belkar fight and the explenation for how that gate involves the fabric of the universe... i can't wait for the next comic.

killingwithasmile
2006-01-28, 03:03 AM
ahhh no one can defend themselves against the secret voodoo knoledge.

(spoiler) it was a good comic with another suspensful ending so i have a felling that theres going to be another plot change but probably not to miko so maybe to the linear guild or xykon (spoiler)

skaven13
2006-01-28, 03:05 AM
But isn't it an interesting trend? The raven turns on V, and the cat is giving up state secrets.

Animal conspiracy? (dun-dun-dun) (couldn't resist!)

The Glitter Ninja
2006-01-28, 03:05 AM
Great strip! Mr Scruffy is the bestest kitty ever. I'm anxiously awaiting the backstory to help explain what Shojo is doing.

Elan's dun dun DUN just killed me. If there's one thing Elan knows, it's drama.

The couple of people who groused about this strip not being funny are being disrespectful jerks, IMO. Rich has given us hours of free entertainment, which is consistently well-written and well-drawn. If someone doesn't like it they can go create their own strip.

NovaNightmare
2006-01-28, 03:20 AM
The Oots story has me... Now... I started reading for the jokes now as with the Oots first encounter with xykon the story has me fanaticaly followinng.

Great Drama, reminds me of mock trials I have partisipated in very cool! ;D ;D ;D

RBloom0566
2006-01-28, 03:23 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love the comic.
My problem is impatience.
It wouldn't break my heart to see OOTS just like the comics in the newspaper--Mon-Sat w/ a special on Sun!
And when one of them is just story progression...I get frustrated and want more.
To me, having to put up with a bit of my frustration says more about how much I enjoy the strip than all the fanboy/fangirl diatribe about every possible nuance of the last release. I mean, really people!!!
But story progression is a necessary evil, especially since one reader pointed out, it's a story-line not a bunch of one-shot deals.

Even though I fuss...gotta love the strip.
Keep up the good work, Rich.

retnuhytnuob
2006-01-28, 03:40 AM
But story progression is a necessary evil, especially since one reader pointed out, it's a story-line not a bunch of one-shot deals.

Necessary evil? Since when do the two exclude each other? I think The Giant is maintaining a remarkable balance between story progression and the humor in the individual comics.

Doing it this way gives bonuses to those who read for individual strips' humor and to those who read the collection of strips as a story. Maybe it's just me, but I think that the balance used here is one of the major factors towards the success of the comic.

(I like to take things that are seemingly opposite and emphasize both. ^_^ Humor and Seriousness. Myth and Reality. Realism and Optomism. Opposites? Not necessicerially...)

Spuddly
2006-01-28, 04:03 AM
Is this comic a parable? Allegory? A narrative of contemporary events?

Dun dun DUN!

nagora
2006-01-28, 04:11 AM
Nobody expects....SATIRE!

Very droll strip; I liked it.

Zaku_III
2006-01-28, 04:35 AM
I shall never curse the Giant for a late comic, for I would want leniency granted in his place.

I shall never curse the Giant if I were to not find humor in a particular strip, for it could very well be me who is wrong.

However, I shall curse him constantly for being such a tease.

Great strip.

Winged One
2006-01-28, 05:22 AM
Is this comic a parable? Allegory? A narrative of contemporary events?

Dun dun DUN!
No. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1138426698 )

rosebud
2006-01-28, 06:49 AM
My problem is impatience. And when one of them is just story progression...I get frustrated and want more.The first half of the strip, heck even just the first three panels were fantastic. By the first panel, you have half the trial taken care of (prosecution). By the third panel, the strip has addressed two huge threads of debate on these boards -- for months in one case. That's pretty dense. By the last panel, you have the expectation (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=display;board=comics;num=1138426698 ;start=0#1) of finally hearing the story of the gate that was introduced (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=96) 176 strips ago. (Hmm, I just noticed that it was Durokan who built the gate (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=97).)

The last strip (271) felt like railroad but this strip (272) was resolution. Not to mention Celia rocked. As for frustration, I don't understand. We currently have four plotlines: The trial (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=271) (with the possibility of finally learning more backstory) Belkar and Miko (engaged in a death match (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=270)) The linear guild (in the midst of a kidnap plot (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=258), with thog for side humor) Xykon having an evilgasm (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=197) surrounded by the cutest hobgoblin army (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=259)Yes, there's the possibility of a fifth plotline (there's enough backstory already for that) or reader questions or something random. But, absent that, there's key history, drama, action, and more action with the hope of great humor and added possibility of two or more storylines colliding amidst a backdrop of meows. It's kinda like a roller coaster -- you go up and up and up the tracks until you near the top. We're at the heart-thumping moments as we near the top. Sit back, scream, and enjoy the ride.

Lightman
2006-01-28, 09:09 AM
But isn't it an interesting trend? The raven turns on V, and the cat is giving up state secrets.

Animal conspiracy? (dun-dun-dun) (couldn't resist!)
No! He knows too much! Get the ninjas! DUN DUN DUN

SovS
2006-01-28, 09:18 AM
So I take it, I'm the only one that found that strip disappointing after a week's wait?

evileeyore
2006-01-28, 09:41 AM
So I take it, I'm the only one that found that strip disappointing after a week's wait?
I'm sure most disaffecteds are just opting out of posting.

Sanctu
2006-01-28, 10:00 AM
Go kitty!

Ilaun_Undil
2006-01-28, 10:04 AM
My question is why is history a secret of the state? Are we talking about a LG government that hides its own history. I know of other Governments that do that, but I wouldn't list them as LG.

Blaznak
2006-01-28, 10:20 AM
Don't know why I'm finding this so funny.
Maybe its a zen thing - it just is...

Marller
2006-01-28, 10:43 AM
Hey, no matter now what the next comic is about, we await it eagerly...

can't wait to find out what the fillerart will be. ;D

Elven_magister
2006-01-28, 11:03 AM
Dang that was a good one :) Lotsa big words but still funny.

Maxymiuk
2006-01-28, 11:33 AM
Where would we be without a bard to serve as dramatic counterpoint to a long-winded story? ;D

Kish
2006-01-28, 11:50 AM
My question is why is history a secret of the state?
We'll probably know the answer to that when we know what the secret is.

Nikolai_II
2006-01-28, 11:51 AM
My question is why is history a secret of the state? Are we talking about a LG government that hides its own history. I know of other Governments that do that, but I wouldn't list them as LG.

Um, no. We are talking about a LG goverment that is hiding the way to destroy the universe in five simple steps. It would be more akin to not wanting to share how to make an atomic bomb using nothing not commonly available in a kitchen ;)

PhoeKun
2006-01-28, 12:07 PM
Um, no. We are talking about a LG goverment that is hiding the way to destroy the universe in five simple steps. It would be more akin to not wanting to share how to make an atomic bomb using nothing not commonly available in a kitchen ;)

Pretty much. Besides, if a government offers peace and prosperity to its people (based mostly off of Elan's excitement after wandering the city. Oppressed capitals ruled by Tyrants aren't usually much to look at), are they really so bad for not telling everyone the secrets of the universe?

Not all State Secrets are inherently evil.

theKOT
2006-01-28, 12:28 PM
Where would we be without a bard to serve as dramatic counterpoint to a long-winded story? ;D

Red mage would have to make some guest appearances. I still can't get over how much I loved this strip!

Caledonian
2006-01-28, 12:34 PM
To paraphrase V, the secrets he holds would drive you mad. MAD!

In all honesty, the idea that the well-being of the entire universe depends upon the continued existence of five (well, now three) extremely fragile magical artifacts, which aren't properly protected, and that have potent self-destruct mechanisms surrounding them that can be triggered by people such as Elan, would probably drive me right around the bend.

ElfLad
2006-01-28, 12:45 PM
Might be spoiler, but

...I'm figuring this ties us back into the whole "Shojo is Soon" thing. Then after the trial is over, we'll see Miko and Belkar and how that turns out, then the LinGuild will use the Sending spells to dangle Julia Greenhilt in front of her brother. Then, after that, maybe the Order and Xykon will coincidentally head out for the same gate. Or Xykon will head out for Soon's gate, which the Order will have to defend before going out to save Julia and prove their good intentions to the court....

Whew, that was a bit more long-winded than I originally intended.

dylosaur
2006-01-28, 01:04 PM
[quote author=Single Shot Zombie link=board=comics;num=1138423805;start=15#17 date=01/28/06 at 00:07:19]Dun, dun, dun........reminds me of Red Mage. :P
quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got the 8-Bit reference, intentional or not.

"Dammit, RM!"

Vengeful_Hand
2006-01-28, 01:06 PM
Self-edited for bad content.
So, all that leaves me with is...
dun dun DUN!

Gnomestress
2006-01-28, 01:11 PM

In a sad laughless place with no smiles.

I <3 Elan. Great comic! Keep up the good work Giant!

Dark_Stalion
2006-01-28, 01:41 PM
I <3 Elan. Great comic! Keep up the good work Giant!

Not surprising considdering the 18 charisma ;D

Loved the comic. As rosebud says, it accomplishes a lot, especially in respect of the recent board postings, even if it was planned months ago. Shows how good Rich is at anticipating his audience if you ask me.

Loved in particular the well timed "meaw?" from Mr. Scruffy. I wonder how he/she/it managed to do that. Is Mr. Scruffy also a familiar or celestial cat or something who can speek common, but decides not to as it would be demeaning to his feline nature.

Frem
2006-01-28, 01:43 PM
Hmm.

Since they will soon know the true secret about the portals, won't they get killed anyway?

You know, an "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." type of thing. That way, even if they are found innocent, they still might be canidates for puishment.

PhoeKun
2006-01-28, 01:55 PM
Hmm.

Doubtful. That would be a very, very LE thing to do. And (I dare anyone to refute this) Mr. Scruffy, clearly the true head of state, is so obviously Lawful Good that evil characters are stunned when they look at him.

theKOT
2006-01-28, 01:57 PM
Doubtful. That would be a very, very LE thing to do. And (I dare anyone to refute this) Mr. Scruffy, clearly the true head of state, is so obviously Lawful Good that evil characters are stunned when they look at him.

They're not the only thing that's stunned....

Bilbo27
2006-01-28, 02:18 PM
1st post ever, love the strip Giant. My gaming group got me hooked. Hope Belkar is ok. Keep up the awesome work. The defense has a strong case, but how long will Shojo rant for is anyones guess.

The Lady Auneredra
2006-01-28, 03:16 PM
Okay, so my dad and I were reading the new strip. When I got to the end, I read aloud Elan's "Dun dun DUN!" because I thought it was the funniest line included. My father, however, didn't think that I said the "Dun..." in the correct...keys, I guess. So! My question is:
Does "Dun dun DUN!" go up or down in octive? Like, is the last 'dun' a lower or higher note than the first 'dun'?
I know, weird question, but I'm a weird person.
Please, please reply. I got 5 bucks (dollars) on this...

The Glyphstone
2006-01-28, 03:23 PM
Depends on how you interpet Elan's "enhancement" of the moment.

A "ta-da!" type, as if presenting a surprise, will have the last DUN a higher octave..'dun dun DUN!'.

A looming, ominous type, as if building up to some terrible revelation, will drop down..."dun dun DUN!"

If you think Elan's addition is happily emphasising that they're learning the plot, it's option A. If you think he's being dramatic, it's option B.

Trobby
2006-01-28, 04:11 PM
*First post ever...yup.*

Personally, I'd say it's the second one, since Shojo is just getting into a big ol' dramatic backstory, and Elan KNOWS that's just what he's gonna do.

Also, while I don't know WHEN 8-Bit Theater's Red Mage started going "Dun Dun DUN!!!", you guys give Elan a lot less credit than he's due. Or did you all forget about the good ol' Chimera (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=21) they slayed way back in Durkon's dungeon?

Scion_of_the_Light
2006-01-28, 04:12 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love the comic.
My problem is impatience.
It wouldn't break my heart to see OOTS just like the comics in the newspaper--Mon-Sat w/ a special on Sun!
And when one of them is just story progression...I get frustrated and want more.
To me, having to put up with a bit of my frustration says more about how much I enjoy the strip than all the fanboy/fangirl diatribe about every possible nuance of the last release. I mean, really people!!!

Even though I fuss...gotta love the strip.
Keep up the good work, Rich.

Hmm...I'm totally different. I eagerly await the plot progression over the humor. Humor is great, yes, but it is short-lived and lighthearted. Well, much of it. When the comic began getting deeper, delving more into plot and the like, then is when it really attracted me. I cannot stand humor for humor's sake. If I read a book, for instance, and all it is is just joke after joke after joke, I get really annoyed. I get caught up in the plot, caring deeply for the plot itself, rather than the characters within. In many cases, the characters are nothing more than a medium for the plot to progress. So...I'm weird like that. But, I can say that I am enjoying the comic more now than I ever did. Good work, Giant! I cannot imagine how difficult it is to create such a story in a comic medium.

The Lady Auneredra
2006-01-28, 04:37 PM
Depends on how you interpet Elan's "enhancement" of the moment.

A "ta-da!" type, as if presenting a surprise, will have the last DUN a higher octave..'dun dun DUN!'.

A looming, ominous type, as if building up to some terrible revelation, will drop down..."dun dun DUN!"

If you think Elan's addition is happily emphasising that they're learning the plot, it's option A. If you think he's being dramatic, it's option B.
Thanks! You just scored me $5 from my dad!

Fishies
2006-01-28, 04:38 PM
Thanks! You just scored me $5 from my dad!

LOL.

Elan was definately being dramatic.

The Lady Auneredra
2006-01-28, 04:45 PM
Also, while I don't know WHEN 8-Bit Theater's Red Mage started going "Dun Dun DUN!!!", you guys give Elan a lot less credit than he's due.

Umm, who from the what, now?
I don't quite think that Elan's using a catchphrase from someone else, though he has before. "Dun dun DUN!" has been around awile. If you said that was copywrighting or whatever, then just about every comedic strip/toon/performance would be in violation.
Of course, I've never read '8-bit Theater', so I don't know how valid my assumption is...
*goes and searches 8-Bit Theater on Google*

Eldhrin
2006-01-28, 04:54 PM
Actually I would say that dun-dun-DUN doesn't go down or up... it does both.

First note, second note lower, third note slightly higher than the first note, and held for a dramatic finish. Perhaps with a touch of vibrato.

As for the comic... love the comic. Really, really love it. My internal sense of pacing suggests a cut back to Miko and Belkar for one or two strips at this point.

Trobby
2006-01-28, 04:55 PM
*To Lady Auneredra

Nah, I wouldn't accuse The Giant of anything like that...all I'm saying is that a few people have made references to how long ago Elan started going "Dun dun DUN!!", and I just wanted them to know EXACTLY how long ago he had done this.

<.<;; It was several posts ago, but I was asleep several posts ago.

Vengeful_Hand
2006-01-28, 04:59 PM
Ok... fair enough, no Miko vs Belkar yet, but, since ive been discovering 8bit theater as of late:

Dun dun DUN!! Gotta love Elan's Red Mageness ;D ;D ;D

Yes.
I'm not sure Elan is so Red-Magey. Elan loves his friends, not power and verstility. Also, he does not "Twink Out. ;D"

EDIT: My apologies for my last post. I was out of line.

PhoeKun
2006-01-28, 05:04 PM
Umm, who from the what, now?
I don't quite think that Elan's using a catchphrase from someone else, though he has before. "Dun dun DUN!" has been around awile. If you said that was copywrighting or whatever, then just about every comedic strip/toon/performance would be in violation.
Of course, I've never read '8-bit Theater', so I don't know how valid my assumption is...

I don't think anyone is claiming copyright infringement over the use of "dun dun DUN!" While Red Mage has been using it in dramatically appropriate scenes since his entrance into 8-Bit Theatre way back in episode 34 (known as 2001 in more "universal" chronologies), there is certainly no connection to Elan's bardic talents.

Aside from Rich's guest comic back in 2004, 8-Bit and OotS have nothing to do with each other. Character similarities, much like any 'political allegory', is entirely coincidental.

EDIT: I took to long to type this. Lousy fact checking!

Dark_Stalion
2006-01-28, 05:35 PM
Okay, so my dad and I were reading the new strip. When I got to the end, I read aloud Elan's "Dun dun DUN!" because I thought it was the funniest line included. My father, however, didn't think that I said the "Dun..." in the correct...keys, I guess. So! My question is:
Does "Dun dun DUN!" go up or down in octive? Like, is the last 'dun' a lower or higher note than the first 'dun'?
I know, weird question, but I'm a weird person.
Please, please reply. I got 5 bucks (dollars) on this...

I never heard it go over an octave. I think it uses a minor triad or a diminished triad. Still, range is far less han an octave.

To me it has always gone mid-low-high.

rosebud
2006-01-28, 05:44 PM
I've never read '8-bit Theater', so I don't know how valid my assumption is...
This is how the madness begins. Rich did a guest comic (http://www.giantitp.com/GuestStrips.html) for that strip, by the way.

The Lady Auneredra
2006-01-28, 05:56 PM
Actually I would say that dun-dun-DUN doesn't go down or up... it does both.

First note, second note lower, third note slightly higher than the first note, and held for a dramatic finish. Perhaps with a touch of vibrato.
Shh! Don't say that! Dad'll take back my money! :P

The Lady Auneredra
2006-01-28, 05:59 PM
I never heard it go over an octave. I think it uses a minor triad or a diminished triad. Still, range is far less han an octave.

To me it has always gone mid-low-high.

That goes for you, too! :)
About the octave thing: I have no idea what it means (something with the # 8, maybe?). I only knew the word because I played the violin in 5th grade.

Edit: I looked up octave on the Internet; I've been spelling it wrong.
According the the Webster-Merriam Online Dictionary-
octave: a stanza of eight lines

Gralamin
2006-01-28, 06:15 PM
great strip, Giant.

dun dun DUN is very very old, Im not sure how old. and to me its always gone mid-high-low, then again i am werid

RBloom0566
2006-01-28, 06:23 PM
I shall never curse the Giant for a late comic, for I would want leniency granted in his place.

I shall never curse the Giant if I were to not find humor in a particular strip, for it could very well be me who is wrong.

Who said curse? Don't think I've ever cursed him. Only if I truly disrespected him (which is way opposite of truth) would I do that. And I'd expect prompt banning immediately following.

EXCELLENT!!! So you have no problem learning and emailing to me the launch codes for your nation's nuclear arsenal? How kind of you, Mr. or Ms. Lawful Good!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got the 8-Bit reference, intentional or not.

What, and/or where, is this 8-bit thing?

PhoeKun
2006-01-28, 06:46 PM
What, and/or where, is this 8-bit thing?

*sigh* The "8-Bit Reference" is not real. Red Mage has said 'Dun Dun DUN!' in the past. Elan has said 'Dun Dun DUN!' in the past. The characters behave similarly, but neither ever references the other. The whole thing is the result of the over-active imaginations of fans... which is odd, because I've always heard that TV and the internet rot your brain.

Could we give the Red Mage thing a rest?

humanpylon
2006-01-28, 07:15 PM
For the record I think 8-bit theater is a vastly inferior product. Although I've only read the first 200 strips, it seems to be a bunch of one dimensional jokes. Black mage is evil, fighter is greedy etc. OOTS has many more layers of jokes.

theKOT
2006-01-28, 07:28 PM
About the octave thing: I have no idea what it means (something with the # 8, maybe?). I only knew the word because I played the violin in 5th grade.

Wellllllll..... Not entirely. An octave can mean that, but more typically(in my experience) it means an interval in which both notes are the same key(E,A,G,etc.) but one is the next highest instance of the key. Wow, I over-analyze alot. Not like I didn't know that, but every once in a while it hits me again.....;)

Fishies
2006-01-28, 07:42 PM
For the record I think 8-bit theater is a vastly inferior product. Although I've only read the first 200 strips, it seems to be a bunch of one dimensional jokes. Black mage is evil, fighter is greedy etc. OOTS has many more layers of jokes.

Fighter's not greedy, that's Thief. Fighter is STUPID(like Elan, but more stupid). If you read the 400 or so comics after 200, then you'd see that 8-Bit is awesome. With a plot, too. Besides, one dismensional jokes are funny(and isn't Belkar one dismensional?).

OzymandiasVolt
2006-01-28, 08:04 PM
My experience with the Bonus Stage Wiki has taught me that some people will see anything (ANYTHING) as a reference, even if there is absolutely no similarity or proof, even if the author himself specifically states that it isn't.

Trobby
2006-01-28, 08:08 PM
...it seems to be a bunch of one dimensional jokes.

As opposed to most good comics, which have 2 dimensional jokes. *Boom-tish!*

Seriously though, we could argue night and day about which comic references which, but there really is no point. As the old saying goes, "It's simply a matter of perspective".

Oh, and I forgot to say it before, but in my perspective, today's comic was pretty good. Nice little way to move the plot along, and some decent jokes to carry it through. ^^ Kept on the edge of my seat, as usual.

Alfryd
2006-01-28, 08:14 PM
New comic is up.
Better. Mu-uch better...

...i guess sometimes you just need to move the story along at the expense of being funny...
I humbly beg to differ, where by 'beg to,' I mean 'insist on,' and by differ, I mean fetch the thumbscrews.

Of course, even if he does demonstrate a connection, he still has to establish intent.

Now that the twitching has stopped, I can post again.
Sweet, blessed Ritalin.

Stop that now. OH, GODS! IT'S IN MY HEAD!

...it wasn't the "dun dun dun!" that got me, it was roy's annoyed response.
And we don't even know it's Roy.

The couple of people who groused about this strip not being funny are being disrespectful jerks, IMO...
People are just as entitled to negative as positive opinions if they care enough to post in the first place.

Necessary evil? Since when do the two exclude each other? I think The Giant is maintaining a remarkable balance between story progression and the humor in the individual comics.
In the noble tradition of Calvin and Hobbes, I find a well-rounded dialogue with snappy witticisms is more amusing than either in isolation. On his top form, Rich is almost unchallenged at this.

Athanatos
2006-01-28, 09:16 PM

Completely agreed. They also suffer from the "really long strip with only one apparent joke that ends up being very weak" syndrome.

Fishies
2006-01-28, 10:19 PM
Completely agreed. They also suffer from the "really long strip with only one apparent joke that ends up being very weak" syndrome.

Hm, I'm going to re-read 8-Bit, because I don't see this "joke being very weak" thing...

The Lady Auneredra
2006-01-28, 10:26 PM
Wellllllll..... Not entirely. An octave can mean that, but more typically(in my experience) it means an interval in which both notes are the same key(E,A,G,etc.) but one is the next highest instance of the key.
That just goes to show I have little experience in musical terms. ...had to give back Dad his $5 and five of my own because the majority of the posts said he was right...

soozenw
2006-01-28, 10:38 PM
hey rich, i have to say that you just keep making me laugh. you even got my boyfriend to laugh with this one, and it was the 1st oots that he's read. (hopefully, he will read it all and i will have someone to talk to it about!!!)

AWESOME strip!

skaven13
2006-01-28, 11:13 PM
Mr. Scruffy, clearly the true head of state, is so obviously Lawful Good that evil characters are stunned when they look at him.

I don't think cats can be good. Some sort of racial alignment restriction... :P

Gralamin
2006-01-28, 11:18 PM
I concur those little monstrosities are pure evil.

theKOT
2006-01-28, 11:31 PM
I concur those little monstrosities are pure evil.

Now now, They range from CE to CN. If you ever find a Lawful cat, it's a robot sent to kill you. RUN!!!

skaven13
2006-01-28, 11:51 PM
That just goes to show I have little experience in musical terms. ...had to give back Dad his $5 and five of my own because the majority of the posts said he was right...

Ok. I had to go look this up, since I have nothing better to do. I just wish I could have found musical notes to add to the research. ;) I came across a couple different ways this could go:

1. Progressively down, usually with heavy bass (usually to add tension). This is the one I went with.

2. First note, then down, then up.

3. And I found this one on a website for old movies. It was higher in pitch. First note, then up, then down. (Normally to introduce the lair of the villian or monster...the sound clip was from young frankenstein). While definitely eerie, it was annoying coming out of my speakers, so I'm thinking this is the one that Elan used. :D

IRSWalker
2006-01-29, 12:02 AM
The scary thing is, this kind of "secret evidence" trial now happens quite often in the UK.

Like the man said, "You didn't think Lawful meant free speech, did you?" :)

And Elan is a class act!

Gralamin
2006-01-29, 12:06 AM
Cats have Robots now? oh well I'll just use my Iron Defenders and White Wolf Effigys.

grim_chook
2006-01-29, 12:38 AM
I have no idea why but this comic almost made me fall off my chair laughing. In my opinion it's the funniest in a while (though they are all good!)

ref
2006-01-29, 12:41 AM

Can't you argue for a tie? reasonable doubt, or something?

Podkayne
2006-01-29, 01:01 AM
Is it just me, or does Lord Shojo always seem to agree with whoever spoke last?

Annalia
2006-01-29, 01:16 AM
Lord Shojo maybe but Mr. Scruffy...

Podkayne
2006-01-29, 01:20 AM
Mr. Scruffy. Mind control. I say no more.

humanpylon
2006-01-29, 02:06 AM
Fighter's not greedy, that's Thief. Fighter is STUPID(like Elan, but more stupid). If you read the 400 or so comics after 200, then you'd see that 8-Bit is awesome. With a plot, too. Besides, one dismensional jokes are funny(and isn't Belkar one dismensional?).

sorry you're right, got fighter and thief mixed up. I was distracted while typing that. My criticism still stands. OOTS pulled me in from the first strip while with 8-bit I had to read for awhile to see what the fuss was about. And even so its just barely amusing enough for me to not abandon it.

Silivren
2006-01-29, 03:33 AM
I always thought of the "Dun Dun DUN" as being 3 low descending notes. I can see the Mid Low High though (which I've mostly heard in TV dramas from the 60's and 70's)

monkofawesome
2006-01-29, 03:55 AM
So. I've been reading since this comic's numerology was still in its teens. The uproar over one of the most recent comics (Miko vs. Belkar) was absurd, and most of the discussion was absolutely unnecessary.

Part of that uproar is because comic #270 was possibly one of the best orchestrated comics thus far. So many folks were upset by what was happening, it seems you scared Rich back into the shadows, and we'll never see anything of that quality again.

I say this because the last two comics have been mediocre, bordering on tiresome. There was some real tension building for a while, even leading up before #270, and you people have scared Rich into a corner where he's afraid to give you any hint of drama, macabre humor, or dark portents of things to come.

To follow up that comic with two strips based upon badly-composed Elan jokes is a sign of cowardice. ANd I read the fprums; it was exactly what you people asked for, because you can't take it!

So I blame you, the people of the forums, for making the Giant think twice before he ever gives us a comic of that quality again.

PhoeKun
2006-01-29, 04:23 AM
Then again, maybe he's had this whole thing planned out for months.

A lot of the #270 discussion repeated itself, but it was hardly what I would call negative feedback. To be frank, if something like that scared the Giant into 'submission', then he has no business making webcomics. These forums would have eaten his soul at least a year ago.

Fortunately, this isn't the case. The Giant is dancing us around on multiple plot threads all at once, and doing a darn good job keeping us in suspense. I'm not usually one to join any cheerleeding crowd, but something about this just seems... well, absurd.

EDIT: I have slain the lowly conditional modifier, and my convictions have strengthened because of it.

ARMOURERERIC
2006-01-29, 05:27 AM
Did not Mr. B recently state that he was ill and took some Nyquil (or was that a post from Armour Archive, I get sooooooo confused) Anyhow, when I take Nyquil as directed, I sometime find myself hallucinating a good 2 weeks later, it's kinda like the DT's only with D&D creatures, maybe that caused Mr. B some temporary distress.

I say this because the last two comics have been mediocre, bordering on tiresome.

You can't fool me, you're Dieter from Sprockets!

When I first read this installment, I misread Elan as going Dun-Da-Dun-Dun, ie. the opening of Dragnet

Thanl you so much Rich for adding a lot of needed humor to my life, it has greatly helped my recovery.

Eric

bexie
2006-01-29, 06:14 AM
Elan makes people smile with his silliness. he's sooo sweet! ;D

dun dun DUN!!!!!

lol. Poor Celia, all she wanted was a mistrial, and NOW she's gotta listen to a (probably) very long story. Oh well. I guess that's how things go....

lol. :D

The Doctor
2006-01-29, 06:49 AM
Yes, Elan rules this comic, once again.

Miklus
2006-01-29, 10:34 AM
Am I the only one finding it funny with all these lawyer type fans arguing about the validity of the trial and technially this and juditical that, when you see how unfairly real world trials go on?

At least the OotS got to pick their own lawyer and the judge (that winged thing) seems unpartial, randomly chosen and is not picked by the autorities because they want a particular outcome. Also, the OotS got to actual meet their lawyer...although they didn't have time to prepare their defence, it's still better than most trials you see on TV.

Had it been the real world, the OotS would have hired 3-4 star lawyers with that sack of gold they got, and if that failed, they would just bribe a member of the jury to make a "hung jury" and walk away scott free. Or play the race card, V! Play the race card, it's all a conspiracy against elves! ;D

theKOT
2006-01-29, 10:52 AM
At least the OotS got to pick their own lawyer

No, they didnt. They got lucky, but celia was chosen by Lord Shojo.

Chris the Pontifex
2006-01-29, 10:56 AM
I dont do this very often but:

DUN DUN DUN ;D I completely forgot about that one!

Kish
2006-01-29, 11:34 AM
To follow up that comic with two strips based upon badly-composed Elan jokes is a sign of cowardice. ANd I read the fprums; it was exactly what you people asked for, because you can't take it!

So I blame you, the people of the forums, for making the Giant think twice before he ever gives us a comic of that quality again.
Looking at the last two strips, I have to say:

Thank you. As a poster to this forum, I wish I deserved anywhere near as much credit for the style of the last two strips as you're giving everyone who posts here. Of course, all the credit belongs to the Giant, but I appreciate the thought nevertheless.

NelinialRiverflow
2006-01-29, 12:34 PM
I LOVED IT!
Oh my Orli I loved it!
Course, I only didn't like one, because I was half asleep and I didn't want to read it all!
But this one is pretty strange and cool at the same time. I mean, it makes sense that Celia isn't and idiot, and those lawyers are bums. I really thought they would be let free though.
*snaps fingers in frustration*
LONDON!
Anouncement- that was a piece from the play I am in (fyi, LONDON! was it). Sorry if I have killed anyone from that in confusion.
Well, gotta go be nuts! Toodles!

>Alcmariel the Druid<

Marller
2006-01-29, 12:41 PM
So. I've been reading since this comic's numerology was still in its teens. The uproar over one of the most recent comics (Miko vs. Belkar) was absurd, and most of the discussion was absolutely unnecessary.

Part of that uproar is because comic #270 was possibly one of the best orchestrated comics thus far. So many folks were upset by what was happening, it seems you scared Rich back into the shadows, and we'll never see anything of that quality again.

I say this because the last two comics have been mediocre, bordering on tiresome. There was some real tension building for a while, even leading up before #270, and you people have scared Rich into a corner where he's afraid to give you any hint of drama, macabre humor, or dark portents of things to come.

I think he is doing it for suspense reasons. Like in all those books where the dagger is coming down at the end of the chapter and the next chapter is about some other part of the storyline (with no daggers).

Dark_Stalion
2006-01-29, 01:09 PM

That's weird. Stanza (musically) means a line of music with several parts, streaching from one side of the page to another. A typical piano score has between 4 and 8 stanza's per page. To me a stanja of eight lines means something which has 8 parts to it, like a 4 part choir with string quartet acompaniment or something. Maybe that's what it means in a littral sence, but musically an octave is made up of 8 notes in a way. Using the french system, you have do-ray-me-fa-so-la-te-do, with the dos being an octve (i.e. 8 notes) appart (it's a musicians way of counting, you start by saying the first note is 1, second note is 2, etc, instead of saying the first note is 0).

I doub that cleared anything up for you.

Anyway, back on topic...

Maybe he doesn't want to detail the whole fight between Miko and Belkar and the interjections mean that he is showing time is passing between the strips where we do see the fight. Personally I think the next thing we will see of Belkar and Miko will be the aftermath of their fight.

nightfire8199
2006-01-29, 01:32 PM
sweet comic...loved it.

Vengeful_Hand
2006-01-29, 01:33 PM

Now this section is far from my favorite, but come on, let's give the Giant a little credit here. I don't think he created so much wonderful material up to this point by cowering whenever a cluster of fans yell "dumb Elan jokes, and make it snappy!"

This trial seems to be the point in a story which often can happen to a writer. You think "oh jeez, there is no way to make this scene the way I envision it. Got to just push through it." I could be wrong, but it seems like something which has to happen so we can get down to the better business of the immolation of a vital NPC.

The Lady Auneredra
2006-01-29, 01:38 PM
Can't you argue for a tie? reasonable doubt, or something?
My dad and I are horrible when it comes to bets. Like, we'll be sitting at a stoplight and someone will say "5 bucks say that Silverado is going to run the light."
Ever since Hayley and Roy, that's how we bet; you know, the [monetary amount here] say(s) [action listed]. :P

The Lady Auneredra
2006-01-29, 01:42 PM
That's weird. Stanza (musically) means a line of music with several parts, streaching from one side of the page to another. A typical piano score has between 4 and 8 stanza's per page. To me a stanja of eight lines means something which has 8 parts to it, like a 4 part choir with string quartet acompaniment or something. Maybe that's what it means in a littral sence, but musically an octave is made up of 8 notes in a way. Using the french system, you have do-ray-me-fa-so-la-te-do, with the dos being an octve (i.e. 8 notes) appart (it's a musicians way of counting, you start by saying the first note is 1, second note is 2, etc, instead of saying the first note is 0).

I doubt that cleared anything up for you.

...huh?
Do you sing/play an instrument?

theKOT
2006-01-29, 02:03 PM
Now this section is far from my favorite, but come on, let's give the Giant a little credit here. I don't think he created so much wonderful material up to this point by cowering whenever a cluster of fans yell "dumb Elan jokes, and make it snappy!"

This trial seems to be the point in a story which often can happen to a writer. You think "oh jeez, there is no way to make this scene the way I envision it. Got to just push through it." I could be wrong, but it seems like something which has to happen so we can get down to the better business of the immolation of a vital NPC.

To say that these comics were nothing but dumb Elan jokes is overlooking some stuff. Sure, in my opinion, 271 was pretty cruddy, but some people loved it. So the fact that I love 272 and others hate it is not shocking to me at all. However, this strip did move the plot fairly quickly(in my opinion) while having some well-timed humor. The handshake comment and Celia's reaction to getting what she demanded were funny to me, while I liked how we got a sense of the direction of the trial and how it left us with the perfect weekend cliff-hanger. To summarize, keep in mind that the "quality" or lack thereof is in the eye of the beholder. hehe. beholder. ok, I'm done now.

SteveMB
2006-01-29, 02:51 PM

Or it could just possibly be that the "OotS is on trial for their lives" thread calls for a different type of pace and tension than "Belkar and Miko fighting it out for keeps" thread.

Darius Midnite
2006-01-29, 02:55 PM
Mowing on..

Congrats! Yet another good strip Giant...
Though lacking a funny punchline, it still was wery satisfying..
(In my opinion)

Max_Sinister
2006-01-29, 03:10 PM
Or play the race card, V! Play the race card, it's all a conspiracy against elves! ;D

V is the smartest to pull that off... but why not Belkar? OK, he isn't here, but he likes to fight with dirty tricks...

mec
2006-01-29, 03:27 PM
This is how the madness begins. Rich did a guest comic (http://www.giantitp.com/GuestStrips.html) for that strip, by the way.

Scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll down to the secret spoilers!

"The whole party ... is controlled by giant ... space cats."

See! Mr. Scruffy isn't the only one! He's just the only one we can see!

Dun dun DUN!

nagora
2006-01-29, 03:55 PM
I don't think cats can be good. Some sort of racial alignment restriction... :P

That is correct, cats are only ever CN, or N, although Toms can be CV (Chaotic Vicious).

rosebud
2006-01-29, 05:55 PM
Nice avatar, and welcome to the boards!

Cast: Comprehend Righteous Indignation.

So. I've been reading since this comic's numerology was still in its teens.Translation: I'm elite.

Part of that uproar is because comic #270 was possibly one of the best orchestrated comics thus far. So many folks were upset by what was happening, it seems you scared Rich back into the shadows, and we'll never see anything of that quality again.Translation: So my conspiracy theory must have the immediate weight of truth because I know better than all of you and Rich. And I just want to say that I hate all of you.

I say this because the last two comics have been mediocre, bordering on tiresome.Ha! They were just a clever ruse to get you to join the madness of the message boards. And it worked!!! BWA HA HA HA HA! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=97)

There was some real tension building for a while, even leading up before #270, and you people have scared Rich into a corner where he's afraid to give you any hint of drama, macabre humor, or dark portents of things to come.Translation: I know The Story better than Rich. Even if the story required that part of the trial be told before It could advance, I know that The Story is wrong. That there were four courtroom strips in between Miko's discovery and the encounter I so loved is irrelvant.

To follow up that comic with two strips based upon badly-composed Elan jokes is a sign of cowardice. ANd I read the fprums;Translation: I cannot spell "flumphs" properly, but I don't care because I don't like them anyhow.

So I blame you, the people of the forums, for making the Giant think twice before he ever gives us a comic of that quality again.And so you declaim yourself, as a member of the forums. Oh, the Irony! And we, the member of the forums, laugh with glee as we know yet another soul has been sucked into the vortex of never-ending meaningless debate about life, the universe, and sticks.

Welcome to the madness monkofawesome!

Ryltar_Swordsong
2006-01-29, 06:40 PM
Great comic.

BTW, what ever happened to Elan's boots?

theKOT
2006-01-29, 06:42 PM
And so you declaim yourself, as a member of the forums. Oh, the Irony! And we, the member of the forums, laugh with glee as we know yet another soul has been sucked into the vortex of never-ending meaningless debate about life, the universe, and sticks.

Mwahahahahahah! Yes, because obviously we on the message board have complete control over what the Giant makes, and the Giant is totally a coward who is huddled in a corner crying about "Those mean meanies on the message board!" Now where's my soul-sucking vortex....

Ilaun_Undil
2006-01-29, 06:51 PM
Oh there there, they are just so tight fitting it looks like he doesn't even have boots on. youknow they are Elven. Ignore the "made in China" sticker. :P

Dark_Stalion
2006-01-29, 07:51 PM
hehe. beholder. ok, I'm done now.

You know, what I think most people fail tor ealise is that the pun is actually intended to go the other way. They are called beholders for a reason. Still funny though. ;D

mec
2006-01-29, 08:04 PM
Great comic.

BTW, what ever happened to Elan's boots?

Samantha.

See #156 and #159.

Wrecan
2006-01-29, 08:15 PM
Actually, from comic 156 it appears he only puts the boots on when he wants to be sneaky.

He probably still has the boots on his person (wherever he keeps all his other stuff) but isn't wearing them

kradman
2006-01-29, 08:16 PM
this is just a joke.. but figured might as well beat the rest to this, as soon it will be another day somewhere in the world!

the comic is late!!!! im going to die... oh no.... the stars are crashing.... ehem.. i mean moon.. ehem.. i mean its morning. the sun.. right right.. the sun is crashing into earth.. the comic is late...

[edit]
yay .. first person nagging about the comic.

Leveller
2006-01-29, 08:28 PM
It's not even past midnight for Rich, for the joke to be funny you should have waited until 00.01.

Chris the Pontifex
2006-01-29, 08:39 PM
You know, what I think most people fail tor ealise is that the pun is actually intended to go the other way. They are called beholders for a reason. Still funny though. ;D

so does that mean that if you look really deep in that eye you'll see beauty?

Ilaun_Undil
2006-01-29, 08:43 PM
how could you look in the eye of the Beholder? I have a feeling doing that would be bad for your health.

Edna
2006-01-29, 10:28 PM

This is the poetic definition of an octave, not the musical one. In poetry, an octave is an eight-line poem or verse (stanza). In music, it is a specific interval between two notes.

Edna

nightfire8199
2006-01-29, 10:47 PM
ah i see...no no i dont. but then agian im not a poet. no not even then would i become one. so dont ask.

ElfLad
2006-01-29, 10:51 PM
Soooo, if we the readers can force the Giant to do whatever we want him to...

I demand Haley/Miko slash scenes. Or else I'll hurt you with my mild criticism.

Renloth
2006-01-29, 11:28 PM
so does that mean that if you look really deep in that eye you'll see beauty?

Ah, now beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but...

The rest of the party is in the stomach of the Beholder.

kradman
2006-01-29, 11:36 PM
fear me... bring belkar back...

skaven13
2006-01-29, 11:45 PM
"The whole party ... is controlled by giant ... space cats."

See! Mr. Scruffy isn't the only one! He's just the only one we can see!

Dun dun DUN!

Maybe Mr. Scruffy has powers like the displacer beasts...the image is sitting on Shojo's lap, but the real Mr. Scruffy is whispering his commands from behind the chair....

The Lady Auneredra
2006-01-29, 11:47 PM
This is the poetic definition of an octave, not the musical one. In poetry, an octave is an eight-line poem or verse (stanza). In music, it is a specific interval between two notes.

Edna
Whoo! I'm ascertainable!

...even though I didn't know octaves had anything to do with poetry...

The Lady Auneredra
2006-01-29, 11:51 PM
Maybe Mr. Scruffy has powers like the displacer beasts...the image is sitting on Shojo's lap, but the real Mr. Scruffy is whispering his commands from behind the chair....

Um, couldn't Mr. Scruffy just, like, stay on Shojo's lap and whisper from there? :-/ What would the point be for whispering behind the chair?

Ooh, got some rhyming action going on! :)

skaven13
2006-01-29, 11:51 PM
how could you look in the eye of the Beholder? I have a feeling doing that would be bad for your health.

Well, you do like Belkar..get a court order saying that the eyes on the stalks have to remain closed, since there have been injuries, from servere to death, related to the rays that come out of them. The anti-magic ray could possibly cause cancer, so the behold should suppress it if it can. And make sure you have a witness, because if it bites you, that's assault. ;)

skaven13
2006-01-29, 11:54 PM
Um, couldn't Mr. Scruffy just, like, stay on Shojo's lap and whisper from there? :-/ What would the point be for whispering behind the chair?

Well, yeah, I guess if you want a "normal" talking cat. :D

Besides, if he's talking in front of everyone, Mr. Scrufffy would give himself away. But if he's talking from behind the chair, Shojo just looks like someone who is just a little off his rocker. Deceptive camoflauge. ;) (dun dun DUN!)

The Giant
2006-01-30, 12:06 AM

It is difficult to imagine someone being more wrong on more points than you are.

First, I'm not aware of any uproar over #270 that in any way exceeded the same-old, same-old arguments that have surrounded Miko since the day she was introduced. Maybe it was there, I don't know, I simply don't read the message boards that much any more.

Second, no one, and I mean NO ONE has the power to get me to alter the plot. The trial and the upcoming revelations of the Secret Lore of the Sapphire Guard have been planned for months, years even. They are occuring exactly as I planned them. I did not cut away from Miko and Belkar because I am a "coward" who was bullied into giving fans what they want. If anything, half my fans are annoyed that the last two strips were not laugh-a-panel yukfests. I cut away from Belkar and Miko because they are not the main plot right now. They are the subplot.

And just as I did not allow myself to be "scared" about cutting away from them, neither will I allow myself to be scared by you into cutting back to them before I am ready. Miko and Belkar will be back, when it is time to see them again. And not before. Until then, I suggest you enjoy the upcoming week, because I think it will prove beyond a reasonable doubt that all that happens has been planned for some time.

And frankly, I take it as the height of insult that you apparently cannot give me even the slightest credit for my own story. If you don't like the direction of OOTS, blame ME, not my fans. They don't have any influence over me with regards to plot. Hell, I go through great lengths to blatantly ignore every suggestion made! Not everyone is going to like every strip, so I suggest you either suck it up and suffer through the ones you don't like, or stop reading. But either way, know that you have only me to blame for what you are reading.

monkofawesome
2006-01-30, 12:58 AM
I, uh, really should have expected that.

...although, I half expected a banhammer, too.

Well, here's looking at you, #273.

The Giant
2006-01-30, 01:04 AM
Well, I really should have expected that.

...although, I half expected a banhammer, too.

Nope, while you were utterly inaccurate, you didn't actually break any rules. Criticism is allowed, even baseless criticism. :P

(Actually, an accusation of cowardice is borderline against-the-rules as a potential flame, but in the interest of honest discourse, I chose to ignore it.)

The_Weirdo
2006-01-30, 01:30 AM
Okay, folks, calm down, now... Giant, I personally think your strip is great. #270 was perfect, especially from the point of view of someone that reads the strips not only for laughs, but also for plot. Subplot or not, I'm waiting to watch what happens. I do also like the main plot, yes. Monko, it's pretty natural for people to discuss, and even flame, over anything, including, yes, a webcomic. But it's the Giant's prerrogative - maybe even obligation - NOT TO CARE what they think. Literature 101: The author isn't there to please, he's there to create. The Giant won't alter his strips, and we won't stop discussing them. Simply because they make good conversation. In Monko's behalf, I don't think he was calling you a coward, Giant. I think he thought you to be bowing to people's pressure, as human nature tends to make us. So, what Monko described as "cowardice" would be only natural - the kind of thing everyone does every now and then. So, both of you, chill. Giant, the strip is great, keep up the good work, and consider that the mistake was an understandable one on his part - after all, his assumption, while not based on YOU, was based on human nature. Monko, Giant had remarked on other opportunities that he made the plots in advance, so, Q.E.D., the Giant doesn't bow to pressure in this issue. My thesis though, is that #270 was so great that the other ones, though good as always, paled in comparison to it... ;)

Anyways. Enough ranting for now, I hope this Diplomacy check works, I could use the status. Reputation gives what bonuses again?

Edna
2006-01-30, 02:38 AM
Whoo! I'm ascertainable!

...even though I didn't know octaves had anything to do with poetry...

I didn't, either, until I looked it up. I was only familiar with the musical definition before :-)

Edna

NovaNightmare
2006-01-30, 02:56 AM
Anyways. Enough ranting for now, I hope this Diplomacy check works, I could use the status. Reputation gives what bonuses again?

Depends on the version, Location and the DM's opinon of the situation.

To me humor is only one literary, acting, per formative, or entertaining aspect of story telling and personally I enjoy stories a lot more with a diverse grounding in what forms the entertainment, rather than just a single main. For example I find comedies a lot more entertaining and funny if they have a few serious patches to compete and contrast with the humor. My complements to the Giant, because if Oots lacked its diverse use entertaining acts an stuck with dull boring satirical humor all the time it would not have anything like the fanatically devoted readership it now has.
To me this diverse story telling that this comic has demonstrated to have IS ITS STRENGTH.

One way or the other Great comic!!! Thank you. ;D

Tharr
2006-01-30, 03:45 AM
I just hope the whole story is not going to put us all to sleep about good laws.

The Doctor
2006-01-30, 03:52 AM
Well, the alst strips were not, as the Giant says, a total joke-fest.
But sometimes you have to read through the not-laughing-out-loud-bits to actually, you know, learn what the story is about.
Typical human, of course: the attention span of a fruitfly unless it involves sex or pooring custard down someone's trousers. It's a wonder the planet hasn't been blown up yet because you all got too bored and liked a bit of fireworks.
The current strip has some smily moments. It is otherwise forwarding the plot, and since education tends to be less hilarious, so are the current panels. I am very interested, especially about whether my theory (which I won't post for spoilerific reasons) about "the Dawn of Time"* is correct.

Vargtass
2006-01-30, 04:59 AM
After rummaging twelve pages of discussion, I find that my observation has not yet been mentioned, so here goes:

I find the current strip's blending of divine and secular jurisdiction interesting. While Shojo in a previous strip (or rather Mr Scruffy) stated that the Azure Guard had sanction from the gods to pursue their cause in foreign lands, he (or still Mr Scruffy) now builds his argument of not disclosing the state secret on Azure City law. Anyhow, seeing that the secret is about to be revealed, I suppose the issue is moot.

NelinialRiverflow
2006-01-30, 07:41 AM
Now, a lot of people were argueing about this and I want to put in my piece.
I think anyone who complains should try to write a comic, three comics in one week, and see how you fair. The Giant does this. It isn't as easy as it looks. So if you got a complaint, you shouldn't talk, since YOU don't write the comic. If you try it, I bet you won't get past one to ten comics. The Giant has got skill, more skill than most. So I think you should compliment him, not critisize. Now I may still be a kid, but people say I have my inner adult. And I think it might be making a visit. So try not to put down the Giant. He works hard to make his fans happy, I personally, I AM happy. Even though there are comics that don't send me in convultions of laughter, I still like 'em.
Toodles! :)

>Alcmariel the Druid<