PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder downtime buildings...

aglondier
2021-05-06, 10:24 AM
I've been playing with the downtime system for buildings/organizations for a bit and am looking for an extended and expanded list of rooms.
As the player of a "loot-it-to-the-bedrock" type character, I'm finding the lack of resource harvesting options...unhelpful...

So, I come to the forum for help. I'm looking for stats on mine workings (raw ore, tunnels, metals, stone, gems, bracing and miners), lumber operations (forests, plantations, lumberjacks), and ideas for ship rooms (holds, cabins, brig, mess, head, and steam options).

Of course, if there is a product already out there I would love to hear about it.

Eldonauran
2021-05-06, 10:47 AM
That depends entirely on how abstract you want the rules to be on the downtime building events. Each resource is worth a set amount of gold, so you can convert that gold cost into however many X of a specific resource you are able to harvest, though I doubt that outside of simulationists, you won't find much need for that much detail.

As a GM that uses these rules quite heavily in my own custom campaign, I don't want to be regulated to a number-crunching machine for the downtime rules and rather like the level of abstraction. This is how much time/gold you have invested in an activity. We will roll the dice and see how much of a return you get... AND *rolls on a separate table* these events are what happened to explain why you got that much/little. Moving on.

aglondier
2021-05-06, 11:26 PM
It works for us mainly because I keep my character sheet on an excel spreadsheet, so keeping our investments on another page is easy. It would probably be a pain to keep track of on paper.

Fizban
2021-05-07, 06:12 AM
I've been playing with the downtime system for buildings/organizations for a bit and am looking for an extended and expanded list of rooms.
As the player of a "loot-it-to-the-bedrock" type character, I'm finding the lack of resource harvesting options...unhelpful...
From what I recall, Pathfinder's downtime/building/organization/etc rules generate stuff in units that can be equivocated to gp. So if you want the number in resources, you get that many gp worth of it.

So, I come to the forum for help. I'm looking for stats on mine workings (raw ore, tunnels, metals, stone, gems, bracing and miners), lumber operations (forests, plantations, lumberjacks), and ideas for ship rooms (holds, cabins, brig, mess, head, and steam options).
I've never heard of any product going down to that level of detail, no (though I'm not a PF'er, there could be a 3rd party book I've not heard of). In order to write game mechanics on the exact working of faux-medieval mining and such, you must first have a full understanding of historical medieval mining and such, and sources and records on the subject are not exactly rich and easily available. And generally, the people who are interested in whipping up quick mechanics or writing sourcebooks are not those who demand months of literal actual research, but rather the ones who will just slap up some numbers and expect no one to look too hard.

Though as I recall, Pathfinder's rules did include worker teams, so you should have a value to use for logging teams vs value of resources produced.

As for ship rooms- does Pathfinder have ships built room by room? 'Cause, uh, I'm pretty sure that's not how it goes. Space on ships is an absolute premium- only on more modern ridiculously large ships are "rooms" even really a thing (much like apartments in major cities, ship interiors in movies and tv are like 10x bigger). A medieval ship has a "hold," in the sense that down at the bottom of the ship is the hold. It has a cabin, sure, for the captain and the charts and such. It has a tiny amount of space where sailors are crammed in hammocks, and near where the food is stored there's probably a cooking area called a mess, sure. The "rooms" on a ship are defined by the size and technology used in the ship and are basically zero, even if you took the whole hold you wouldn't get any serious space to work with.

Of course, if there is a product already out there I would love to hear about it.
There is a 3rd party Pathfinder book about airships which probably treats them like big modern ships, and thus may have individual room pricing like strongholds along with the other building information, but I can't remember the name and failed my quick forum search.

3.0 has Stronghold Builder's Guide, but if you're already using Pathfinder stuff you probably don't want to mix it, and it's still not ship rooms unless you make the stronghold into a "ship" by making it float and sticking some sails on it.

unseenmage
2021-05-10, 12:03 PM
It requires some flexibility and GM participation but every dungeon is composed of harvestable rooms.

I recommend Fabricate to alter them to be a contiguous object (furniture chained down, altars built in, etc) then Animate Objects. The room dimensions are even conveniently presented in animate objects-able dimensions. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=20204081&postcount=8)

After they are creatures relocating them becomes MUCH easier.

Remember too that Traps are listed as a room type. So any room with a trap nets even more harvestable resources.

calam
2021-05-10, 02:23 PM
For mines I don't know anything, for the ship I'd work off of the equivalent rooms in downtime, the bunks would be roughly the bunks and such. Still not that useful though since most of the cost probably factors into the construction of the room itself. Going abstract might be your best bet.