PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Players of Unusual Size? I Don't Think They Exist

Doctor Despair
2021-05-06, 06:50 PM
Hello, friends!

Through a GitP research hole, I stumbled upon this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?142936-3-5-Tiny-player-race), and it started me thinking: what are the smallest and biggest playable races available, and how small and large can we respectively make them?

That was a fairly broad question, so to begin with, I wanted to set some guidelines for myself:

I wanted it to be playable from ECL4 or less, as extremities in player builds are more impressive and more fun (in my opinion) when the sillyness comes online early enough to enjoy it (and before high-level casting obviates everything else).
I wanted the character to, ideally, be able to maintain that size for long durations, so as to avoid awkward periods where the concept was just out of juice and no longer "fun."

With that said, I poked around and found these options:

Smallest Races

Comes Online at ECL...
Name
Source
Size
LA
RHD
Notes

Hairy Spider
Monsters of Faerun
Fine
Mindless and has no arms, so it's of questionable use. Add to your backstory a Master of Flies using Awaken Vermin, and deduct 450gp; technically, this makes the race usable by level 2 WBL.

Muckdweller
Serpent Kingdoms
Tiny
N/A

Jermlaine
MM2
Tiny
N/A

Hengeyokai (Sparrow)
Oriental Adventures
Fine
Size applies when in animal form

Hengeyokai (Carp, Crab)
Oriental Adventures
Diminutive

Hengeyokai (Badger, Cat, Hare, Monkey, Rat, Weasel)
Oriental Adventures
Tiny

Tibbit
Dragon Compendium
Tiny
When in cat form

Phaerimm Hatchling
Lost Empires of Faerun
Tiny
N/A

Myconid, Junior Worker
MM2, DnD v3.5 Accessory Update 35
Tiny
N/A

Grig
MM1
Tiny
N/A

Flumph
Dungeon #118
Tiny
N/A

Size Reduction Notables

Slight-Build (Web Enhancements): Kobolds (small) are treated as tiny when beneficial; Active from ECL 1
Compression (EPH): Personal, so requires a level in psychic warrior or the Hidden Talent feat, and is short duration; Active from ECL 1
Reduce Person / Permanency (PHb): 3040, one size category for a humanoid (synergy with Human Heritage); Active from ECL 5
Return to Nature (ECS): Instantaneous Reduce Person for giants; arguably can be applied more than once for 910 each time. Active from ECL 3
Fiend of Possession (FF): Allows you to possess and animate objects, enabling pseudo-small size; Active from ECL4+; requires specific build
Shrink Collar (A&EG): 10,000, shrinks wearer to small size Active from ECL 8
Phylactery of Change (A&EG): 11,200, polymorph of infinite duration into another low-HD form. Active from ECL 8
Rod of Wonders (Core?): 12,000, extremely dysfunctional item that seems to generate infinite wealth and guarantee you a size reduction to 1/12 of your original height. Doesn't explicitly change size category, but almost certainly does in practice -- although you'll die from crushing damage from thrown DMGs. Active from ECL 8
Ring of Reduction (LoM): 20,000, one size category; Active from ECL 10
Lycanthropy offers a number of forms to increase or decrease size
Use True Mind Switch and/or Polymorph to swap into a desirable body; active from a very high ECL, either by way of cost or way of needing a 9th level power
Dragon Magazine #293 gave statblocks with LA for a number of tiny and diminutive animals.

Largest Races

Comes Online at ECL...
Name
Source
Size
LA
RHD
Notes

Half-Ogre
Races of Destiny
Large
N/A

Incarnate Construct Maug
Savage Species / Fiend Folio
Large
N/A

Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale
Savage Species
Large
N/A

Anthropomorphic Snake, Huge Viper
Savage Species
Large
N/A

Size Expansion Notables

Half-Fiend (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a): any living, corporeal creature with int 4 and nongood alignment. Large or smaller creatures gain 1 size category if parent fiend is huge or larger. LA+4
Ogre Titan grants a +1 size category for LA+6, but isn't first party material.
Half-Minotaur (Dragon 313): giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid of small to huge in size. Small or medium creatures gain 1 size category. LA+1
Half-Ogre (Dragon 313): giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid of small to huge in size. Small or medium creatures gain 1 size category. LA+1
Duergar can grow a size category 1/day as an SLA
Goliath Barbarian ACF increases your size to large, so it doesn't stack nicely with other effects. Also doesn't stack with powerful build.
Expansion (EPH): Personal, so requires a level in psychic warrior or the Hidden Talent feat, and is short duration; Active from ECL 1
Enlarge Person / Permanency (PHb): 3040, one size category for a humanoid (synergy with Human Heritage); Active from ECL 5
Ring of Growth (SS): 18,000, grants access to a size category increase with specific stat changes for 9 minutes/day. Doesn't stack with magical size increases.
Phylactery of Change (A&EG): 11,200, polymorph of infinite duration into another low-HD form. Active from ECL 8
Lycanthropy offers a number of forms to increase or decrease size
Dragon Magazine #293 gave statblocks with LA for a number of large animals.
Dragon Magazine #296 has the "Waker of the Beast" Prc to replace Enlarge Person
Dragon Magazine #345 has the "Thrall of Kostchtchie" Prc to grow a size category after 10 levels
Any number of ways to increase effective size, reach, or other benefit of being big (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?127732-3-X-Increasing-Size-Effective-Size-Unarmed-Damage-Reach&p=7081777#post7081777)

These are what I've found so far by perusing various GitP posts and threads. Does anyone know about any other big or miniscule player race options so that I can collate them here for later reference?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-06, 07:50 PM
Psicrystal (diminutive): A long while back when WotC still hosted 3.5 boards, there was a "the big guy is with me" build. It's a normal psychic warrior, but with an absurdly low Int score, and you role play as his psicrystal. It's also possible to make a psionic Fiend of Possession and possess your psicrystal and play as it. In that case, take the major titan bloodline and you (while possessing the psicrystal) can wield a gargantuan size warhammer without penalty, regardless of your current size. Keep it in a glove of storing, and make it a giant wooden mallet like on Animaniacs.

Maat Mons
2021-05-06, 08:49 PM
Duergar get Enlarge Person 1/day (self-only) as a spell-like ability. Lesser Duergar retain the SLA, but have +0 LA. At 1st level, you can take Magic in the Blood to up your uses to 3/day. And at 6th level you can take Quicken Spell-Like Ability to use it as a swift action.

I feel that swift-action embiggening is desirable. You don't want to use up your whole first turn of combat getting up to size. But you don't nescessarily want to be large all the time. That could be inconvenient.

On that note, the Goliath ACF that makes you grow when you rage can be nice. Rage is a free action, and you can take the Extra Rage feat to get your uses up to 3/day with only one Barbarian level.

Particle_Man
2021-05-06, 09:21 PM
Are we sticking to 3.5 only? Arcana Evolved has a Giant race and for three racial class levels you get large. Similarly there is a fay type race that can evolve into a tiny flier (sprite, no relation) at level three.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-05-06, 09:33 PM
Jotunbrud is a Human-only 1st level feat that lets them count as Large for most opposed checks. Unfortunately, that is specifically "as Large", not as one size larger, so it doesn't scale well. If you're playing with flaws (or other sources of bonus feats), you can stack it with a Half-Giant's Powerful Build by taking Human Heritage first to qualify, for a creature that makes opposed checks as if Huge at ECL 2.

Troacctid
2021-05-07, 01:55 AM
The psionic sandwich trick allows you to transfer your consciousness into a sandwich (or whatever object you prefer).

Druids with the shapeshift variant eventually gain access to forms that increase their size. Regular druids can use the Great and Small feat to achieve a similar effect, although it doesn't stack well.

Thurbane
2021-05-07, 02:54 AM
Players of unusual size? I'm 6'4'', and my wife (who also plays in our group) is 5'4''. Does that count? :smalltongue:

Seriously though, there are larger playable races than Large, but they come with a lot of RHD/LA: Lists of Every Playable Monster by ECL (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?401132)

Missed the ECL 4 stipulation

Beni-Kujaku
2021-05-07, 03:07 AM
Since items of up to 20,000 gp seem to be on the table, I have to mention the Phylactery of Change, allowing you for 11,200 gp to polymorph semi-permanently into whatever has less HD than you, like a Hairy Spider (Fine, 1/8 HD), or a Gelatinous Cube (4 HD, Huge, and I think the biggest creature with 4 or less HD, with the constrictor shinomen naga from Oriental Adventures, who is additionally a humanoid). You could then use a permanent enlarge trick or wait for 10 HD to become an Ibrandlin and reach Gargantuan.

thethird
2021-05-07, 04:02 AM
The return to nature spell has an instantaneous duration, when it hits a giant it reduces them in size like a reduce person... given that it is instantaneous it can be applied repeatedly.

noob
2021-05-07, 04:32 AM
The shrinking effect of the rod of wonders is either instantaneous or you can use the rod for unlimited small gemstones(the other effects are manageable).
Either you get to play a diminutive creature or you can produce wealth constantly just by activating repeatedly the rod.

Doctor Despair
2021-05-07, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the additions, friends! I tried to add as many to the OP as possible!

Jotunbrud is a Human-only 1st level feat that lets them count as Large for most opposed checks. Unfortunately, that is specifically "as Large", not as one size larger, so it doesn't scale well. If you're playing with flaws (or other sources of bonus feats), you can stack it with a Half-Giant's Powerful Build by taking Human Heritage first to qualify, for a creature that makes opposed checks as if Huge at ECL 2.

You know, you may not be able to do that specifically without flaws, but you did give me an idea. We can take a Half-Ogre and slap Human Heritage on it to make it eligible for permanency'd Enlarge Person to be huge. It's the only non-Dragon way I've seen to become huge at a reasonable ECL, actually, so that's very helpful.

The dragon way is to use a Half-Minotaur (or Half-Ogre) Half-Giant with Human Heritage in much the same way. You're huge, but count as gargantuan in most respects. This is slightly better, but you can get the same effect with a pair of Strongarm Bracers on the Ogre without using dragon material.

Khedrac
2021-05-08, 02:43 AM
Sparrow Hengeyokai - when in Sparrow form (which admittedly cannot do more than scout) is is fine (crab and carp hengeyokai are diminutive).
No limit on time spent in each form, but can only change form 1+ level / day.

A level 1 sorceror sparrow hengeyokai can cast mage armor then switch to sparrow form to scout for an hour with an AC of 28 and a fly speed of 50.
(Their physical stats go to set values in animal form so don't affect this calculation.)

Consider a bard with Peform: imitate birdsong (there is a technical term, but I don't recall it) - it would be a harsh DM to rule that they cannot do that in bird form...

Another Handle
2021-05-08, 03:11 AM
Compression and Expansion can both be augmented for two size categories, and/or to be swift actions, longer duration (10 min/lvl for Expansion). The Psionic Duergar gets Expansion augmented to their character level, meaning huge size as a swift action for 10min/level by 15th HD.

Endarire
2021-05-09, 03:21 PM
In practical terms, Wild Shape, polymorph, and other shapeshifting abilities are generally the best way to achieve this due to low/no LA/RHD. Wild Shape is normally undispellable and lasts for 1 hour per level.

There's also Tiny von BigMcLargeHuge (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?132294-Tiny-Von-BigMcLargeHuge) for sized-based wonkiness.

Oriental Adventures starting on page 172 has the Shinomen Naga who are Humanoids that are sometimes Large and seemingly have no LA but some RHD.

Calthropstu
2021-05-09, 06:38 PM
You can play a pixie. Pixies are tiny. You can then us psionics to drop 2 sizes. Then add a bunch of psionics to pump your ac into the stratosphere. You're smaller than a grain of rice almost completely unnoticible with an ac that makes even the strongest of enemoes envilus.

Remuko
2021-05-09, 11:26 PM
You can play a pixie. Pixies are tiny. You can then us psionics to drop 2 sizes. Then add a bunch of psionics to pump your ac into the stratosphere. You're smaller than a grain of rice almost completely unnoticible with an ac that makes even the strongest of enemoes envilus.

3.5 pixie is small not tiny.

Thurbane
2021-05-10, 12:31 AM
The return to nature spell has an instantaneous duration, when it hits a giant it reduces them in size like a reduce person... given that it is instantaneous it can be applied repeatedly.

It would be hilarious to have a Half-giant, get this spell cast on him until he is Fine in size, take 3 levels in Stonesblessed (Goliath), then into Barbarian so he can take the Mountain Rage ACF.

Someone the size of a house-fly who becomes Large when he rages!

Anthrowhale
2021-05-10, 05:19 AM
I'm not sure you want to include this, but technically the Hairy Spider in Monsters of Faerun is fine size and LA+0 as of the 3.5 update. Of course, it's also mindless and has no arms.

ShurikVch
2021-05-14, 09:57 AM
Some more stuff:

Tiny size:
Brownie (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/al/20041006a) - ½ HD and LA +4
Flumph (Dungeon #118) - 2 HD and LA +2
Phaerimm Hatchling - 1 HD and LA +1

Honorary mention for "Largest Races": Jotunbrud, Hulking Brute, and Deformity (Tall) feats

How about the more "unusual" sources:
Call of Cthulhu d20? It's Wizards of the Coast, and have official D&D adaptation, but no 3.5 update
Dragonlance? Besides the Campaign Setting, it's licensed 3rd-party
Kingdoms of Kalamar? It's Kenzer and Company, but with official D&D logo
Ravenloft? Once again, it's licensed 3rd-party
Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game? It's Sword & Sorcery Studios, but the original book had official D&D logo (https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/rpg/images/1/13/250px-WarcraftRPG.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140111232928&path-prefix=ru)

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-14, 10:53 AM
There's also Tiny von BigMcLargeHuge (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?132294-Tiny-Von-BigMcLargeHuge) for sized-based wonkiness.To answer the question posed by the OP near the end (how to qualify as human), Human Heritage or Human Blood. I also think there was a half-human/half-kobold hybrid race in Dragon Magazine, somewhere, showing it is possible -- or at least, Paizo thinks it is.

ShurikVch
2021-05-14, 02:25 PM
Note: by the (Half)-Fiendish Variety (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) article:

A very small number of fiends are Huge, and their hugeness gets passed to offspring. If the model fiend is Huge size or bigger, and the base creature is size Large or smaller, then increase the base creature's size by one category. The relevant changes to the base creature's statistics can be found on page 291 of the Monster Manual. If the base creature increases in size, increase the CR of the final creature by 1.

Also, Dragon #293 gave "playable" ECL to the most creatures from the Monster Manual
Creatures of "unusual" sizes:

Tiny

ECL
Creature

Cat

Hawk

Lizard

Monkey

Owl

Rat

Raven

Tiny Viper