PDA

View Full Version : Help with homebrew Dhampir racial.

Snig
2021-05-07, 06:11 AM
Hey guys, my DM and I are working on replacing the "spider climb" racial from the UA Dhampir with a feature that would allow a creature to drink my blood to be healed. Here is what I have so far, but I'm not convinced that hit die are the way to go about this? Need help balancing and reworking this. Possibly using healing hands as a basis? The "euphoria" effect could be offset by costing me health?

**As an action you can spend a number of hit die up to your maximum to allow a creature to feed on your blood. For each Hit Die spent in this way, the player rolls the die and loses Hit Points equal to the total, and the target is healed for twice this amount. A creatures that has been healed in this manner gains the euphoria effect granting them advantage on the next ability check, attack roll or saving throw they make. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.**

Amnestic
2021-05-07, 06:19 AM
Expending hit dice and then also losing HP is double-dipping. Either have the bitten person lose HP (which you can then heal by spending hit dice) or lose hit dice, not both.

da newt
2021-05-07, 07:35 AM
So anyone can drink the dhampir's blood to heal themselves but hurt the dhampir?

As DM I'd be OK with making it super simple:
5 hp per level per long rest (like lay on hands), person gains all hp, dhampir looses half as much hp (round up), requires and action for Dhampir to collect blood, and an action by other to drink it, dhampir can only regain the lost hp via rest.

So lvl 2 dhampir can restore 10 hp to someone, and will loose 5.

Jon talks a lot
2021-05-07, 07:37 AM
When writing the planeshift book, wizards did end up making an ixalan vampire playable race.

The blood draining abilities were these:

Blood Thirst. You can drain blood and life energy from a willing creature, or one that is grappled by you, incapacitated, or restrained. Make a melee attack against the target. If you hit, you deal 1 piercing damage and 1d6 necrotic damage. The target’s hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken, and you regain hit points equal to that amount. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.

Feast of Blood. When you drain blood with your Bloodthirst ability, you experience a surge of vitality. Your speed increases by 10 feet, and you gain advantage on Strength and Dexterity checks and saving throws for 1 minute.

Do with this information what you will.

quindraco
2021-05-07, 07:48 AM
Hey guys, my DM and I are working on replacing the "spider climb" racial from the UA Dhampir with a feature that would allow a creature to drink my blood to be healed. Here is what I have so far, but I'm not convinced that hit die are the way to go about this? Need help balancing and reworking this. Possibly using healing hands as a basis? The "euphoria" effect could be offset by costing me health?

**As an action you can spend a number of hit die up to your maximum to allow a creature to feed on your blood. For each Hit Die spent in this way, the player rolls the die and loses Hit Points equal to the total, and the target is healed for twice this amount. A creatures that has been healed in this manner gains the euphoria effect granting them advantage on the next ability check, attack roll or saving throw they make. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.**

You're overthinking this. Just copy the Chef feat.

• As part of a short rest, you can let others feed on you.
At the end of the short rest, any creature you
allow to feed on you can spend your Hit Dice
instead of and/or in addition to theirs to regain
hit points. Yours are lost as normal when spent
by another, even though it heals the other.
• With one hour of work or when you finish a long
rest, you can prepare a number of blood vials equal to
your proficiency bonus. These vials last
8 hours after being made. A creature can use a
bonus action to drink one of your vials to gain temporary
hit points equal to your Constitution bonus.