PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Loathing D20 - The Pastamancer (Base Class) (Peach)

mp122984
2007-11-11, 06:51 PM
Hello. It's been a while since I made my D20 Modern homebrew Prestige classes and I decided to try some D20 base classes based on the excellent RPG kingdom of Loathing. But as it turns out, a little searching reveals that someone else has already been doing work on that. I refer to Kalir, whose work I encourage you to read. My approach is a little different: instead of trying to make an corresponding ability for each KoL skill (which was admittedly beyond me), I tried to simplify it by focusing on the Pastamancer's main uses: Healing, hurting things with magic, and cooking things. I still hope it proves a workable and enjoyable base class.

The Pastamancer

Alignment: Any Non-Evil Alignment

Hit Die: d6

Class Skills
The Pastamancer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con) Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Profession (chef) (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table: The Pastamancer
{table]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Pastamastery, Spells
2nd | +1 | +0 | +0 | +3 |
3rd | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 |
4th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 |
5th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 |
6th | +3 | +2 | +2 | +5 |
7th | +3 | +2 | +2 | +5 |
8th | +4 | +2 | +2 | +6 | Noodlecraft, Flavour of Magic
9th | +4 | +3 | +3 | +6 |
10th | +5 | +3 | +3 | +7 |
11th | +5 | +3 | +3 | +7 |
12th | +6/+1 | +4 | +4 | +8 |
13th | +6/+1 | +4 | +4 | +8 |
14th | +7/+2 | +4 | +4 | +9 |
15th | +7/+2 | +5 | +5 | +9 | Transcendental Noodlecraft [/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the cleric.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Pastamancers are proficient with all simple weapons, with light and medium armor, and with shields.

Spells: A Pastamancer casts spells which are drawn primarily from the Pastamancer Spell List. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

To cast a spell, a Pastamancer must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Pastamancer’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Pastamancer’s Wisdom modifier.

A Pastamancer may cast one spell per day per Pastamancer level, and an additional number of spells per day equal to his Wis modifier (minimum 0). He may only cast Pastamancer spells whose level are equal to or less than half his Pastamancer level, rounded up.

Pastamastery:
The Pastamancer is able to refine his meals with use of his culinary and magical abilities. Once per day per Pastamancer level, the Pastamancer may take a meal and magically improve it. Doing so requires a Profession (chef) check and takes 5 minutes. Based on the check‘s result, the Pastamancer may add one of the following effects to the meal.

-Provides sustenance for one full day for one Medium-sized or smaller creature (DC 10, requires Pastamastery).
-Heals HP equal to the check’s result (requires Noodlecraft).
-Recovers a spell slot of the highest level spell the consumer can cast (DC 25, requires Transcendental Noodlecraft)

Each meal may only be improved once this way. A person or creature may benefit from such a meal up to three times per day.

Flavour of Magic: When using an Inflict or Harm spell, you can modify it to use acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic energy instead. The altered spell uses a spell slot of the spell’s normal level.

Pastamancer Spell List
1st Level
Goodberry: 2d4 berries each cure 1 hp (max 8 hp/24 hours).
Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).
Inflict Light Wounds: Touch deals 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).

2nd Level:
Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
Entangle: Plants entangle everyone in 40-ft.-radius.
Inflict Moderate Wounds: Touch attack, 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).

3rd Level:
Create Food and Water: Feeds three humans (or one horse)/level.
Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
Inflict Serious Wounds: Touch attack, 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).

4th Level:
Cure Critical Wounds: Cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +20).
Inflict Critical Wounds: Touch attack, 4d8 damage +1/level (max +20).

5th Level:
Heal: Cures 10 points/level of damage, all diseases and mental conditions.
Harm: Deals 10 points/level damage to target.

6th Level:
Heroes’ Feast: Food for one creature/level cures and grants combat bonuses.

I thank you for reading, and I would appreciate any comments or criticism you may have.

Cybren
2007-11-13, 02:38 AM
Interesting. Why 15 levels?
Also: 3 skill points per level? d20 modern lists odd numbered skill points based on the default assumption that every player is human

Illiterate Scribe
2007-11-14, 02:13 PM
No entangling noodles? Pastamancer's not worth playing without them!