PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to make touch spells ranged?

eyebreaker7
2021-05-07, 04:20 PM
Like a feat or another spell perhaps? Some way of healing from a distance. I don't mean a football field but some sort of distance. I'm use to video games that have ranged healing like in WoW.

Troacctid
2021-05-07, 04:22 PM
Sure. Reach Spell is the usual way, but there are others.

Thurbane
2021-05-07, 04:46 PM
Can't recall the name, but for healing spells, I think there's a feat that lets you burn up a turn attempt, then you can cast Cure spells on a number of allies within a certain range...

Particle_Man
2021-05-07, 05:18 PM
Throw your familiar real hard? 😀

ManicOppressive
2021-05-07, 05:20 PM
Spectral Hand also allows you to deliver touch spells and is widely available/easily used.

eyebreaker7
2021-05-07, 05:28 PM
I've never used wands to cast spells in a non-normal way so I don't know if this will work, but can you use a wand of Spectral Hand to cast cure spells at range? I've only ever used "normal" wands such as a cure wand or magic missile. Nothing that alters another spell in any way.

Troacctid
2021-05-07, 05:35 PM
I've never used wands to cast spells in a non-normal way so I don't know if this will work, but can you use a wand of Spectral Hand to cast cure spells at range? I've only ever used "normal" wands such as a cure wand or magic missile. Nothing that alters another spell in any way.
Yes, but it's very inefficient as it normally takes your whole turn to create the hand, and it usually only lasts a single combat. It's very rare that you can afford that kind of time.

Thurbane
2021-05-07, 05:56 PM
Can't recall the name, but for healing spells, I think there's a feat that lets you burn up a turn attempt, then you can cast Cure spells on a number of allies within a certain range...

OK, I was kind of misremembering the feat, it isn't only for Cure spells.

Divine Ward, PHB2 p.88. You spend 10 minutes setting up a link with one ally, which lasts 24 hours. You can then use any touch spell on that creature as short range spell instead, by expending a turn attempt. You can link with more than one creature at a time, by using expending a turn attempt for each additional creature.

Another Handle
2021-05-07, 07:29 PM
At high levels, Hierophant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/hierophant.htm) will allow you to trade a caster level for Divine Reach. A Bard (or Dread Necromancer, I guess) could take 5 levels in War Weaver (HoB 112) to do the same, and then some. Greater Status (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/statusGreater.htm) can give someone with the Community domain a limited version. The simplest way to tack it onto a character is probably a Rod of Reach Spell. Occular Spell (LoM 181) might work, but I'm not fond of its lack of language in regards to touch spells.

Biggus
2021-05-07, 10:23 PM
There's a metamagic rod of Reach Spell (MIC p.165).

Asmotherion
2021-05-08, 04:06 AM
Reach Spell is the general consensus, but if you want something more, occular spell allows you to do this for free. I think it works best on a spontaneus caster (if I remember correctly).

noob
2021-05-08, 05:06 AM
Like a feat or another spell perhaps? Some way of healing from a distance. I don't mean a football field but some sort of distance. I'm use to video games that have ranged healing like in WoW.

You can either seek some new healing spells (mass heal for example is ranged and really strong because it also cures countless conditions) or you can go archmage with some feat to make your divine spellcasting classes also count as arcane ones.

Darg
2021-05-08, 11:11 AM
You can either seek some new healing spells (mass heal for example is ranged and really strong because it also cures countless conditions) or you can go archmage with some feat to make your divine spellcasting classes also count as arcane ones.

Going archmage as a divine caster would be just like taking hierophant levels but harder entry.

Khedrac
2021-05-08, 11:44 AM
I think War Weavers can do this for buff spells on their allies through the weave.

noob
2021-05-08, 11:55 AM
Going archmage as a divine caster would be just like taking hierophant levels but harder entry.

An hierophant does not progress casting unlike archmage.
So becoming an hierophant is usually a worse choice than warweaver since you lose caster levels and do not get super great abilities (while the powers granted by the warweaver are really great).

Darg
2021-05-08, 09:06 PM
An hierophant does not progress casting unlike archmage.
So becoming an hierophant is usually a worse choice than warweaver since you lose caster levels and do not get super great abilities (while the powers granted by the warweaver are really great).

Just because you can cast arcane spells as a divine caster doesn't mean the class is an arcane spellcaster. Sure you could pass the prerequisite, you just wouldn't get the casting progression.

Heirophant still increases caster level even though it doesn't progress spellcasting. You can get levels at 18 without losing much. The other benefit Hierophant has is that the special abilities don't have a slot cost unlike the Archmage's High Arcana.

Warweaver goes from being amazing to good depending on how you read the rules for touch spells and holding a charge. My groups read the touch up to 6 friends as a full-round action rule under holding the charge as a valid action. You can't hold the charge on multi-target spells so this is the only way that rule has an actual use/makes sense. Even the rules compendium says you can make this action.

the_tick_rules
2021-05-08, 10:01 PM
archmage has basically the same thing as hierophant for arcane casters.

ShurikVch
2021-05-09, 06:58 AM
Arcane Archer imbues blunt arrow with Stabilize spell?
Take a whip (15' reach), and use Spellsword's Channel Spell, or Duskblade's Arcane Channeling?
Just be Large and take Inhuman Reach for 15' reach (or 20' - with Extend Tentacles spell)?

sleepyphoenixx
2021-05-10, 03:15 AM
The Unicorn Horn optional material component (CC) adds a 30ft range to any touch spell with the (healing) descriptor.
It's one-use only, but they're cheap enough that buying a couple just in case is feasible.

Jazath
2021-05-10, 09:37 AM

Reach spell, though i'm sure that's been covered....

Since you said "perhaps" I'm assuming the relative. Try getting some Archmage levels and you'll eventually get this

Arcane Reach (Su)
The archmage can use spells with a range of touch on a target up to 30 feet away. The archmage must make a ranged touch attack. Arcane reach can be selected a second time as a special ability, in which case the range increases to 60 feet. This ability costs one 7th-level spell slot.

If you don't want to waste metamagic and have a touch to ranged as a class ability....Archmage beacons toward you. The cool kids in the magic community.

eyebreaker7
2021-05-10, 02:04 PM
The Unicorn Horn .

I didn't know Unicorns were so prevalent. It's not considered a "bad" thing?

Vaern
2021-05-10, 02:15 PM
Sacred Purification (PHB2) lets you heal all creatures in a 60 foot burst for 1d8+charisma modifier and harm all undead in the area for as much as a swift action, effectively a quickened mass CLW at the cost of a use of turn undead. The catch is that it affects everything, so you can't just target allies to heal with it.

Darg
2021-05-10, 04:13 PM
Eldritch Theurge has the level 10 ability called Greatreach Blast. It allows you to attach a touch spell to your eldritch blast.

As someone mentioned the spellswords spell channeling, I'll go one further and say you can use a melee thrown weapon with it to deliver the spell.

Take 6 levels of warlock, get the disembodied hand invocation, and throw it and/or use it to deliver spells you cast. It is your hand and you can use it in all ways as if it were still attached. This means it also gets the free action touch you do.

sleepyphoenixx
2021-05-11, 01:50 AM
I didn't know Unicorns were so prevalent. It's not considered a "bad" thing?

According to the fluff it's only horns taken from unicorns that died of natural causes or something like that.
As for how common they are keep in mind that a few hundred gp for a one-shot item may not be much for a high level adventurer, but for most normal people that's a small fortune.

nedz
2021-05-11, 09:25 AM
Reach Spell and Occular Spell are the standard approaches. These are both +2 metamagics.

Spectral Hand can be used, is a level 2 spell, but has limitations.

Spellwarp Sniper may be worth a look, but it turns AoEs into rays.