PDA

View Full Version : Sunder and piercing weapons

Particle_Man
2021-05-07, 05:21 PM
Normally you can’t sunder with piercing weapons. I like the idea of a spiked chain wielding warrior with combat brute (among other things). Do I just accept that I won’t be sundering things since that is a piercing weapon? Are there ways around this? I like the two-handed weapon that is reach and can hit adjacent foes.

Zanos
2021-05-07, 05:24 PM
What's your motivation to sunder? Usually it's not really that effective in combat and it deprives the party of loot.

You could use your spiked chain as an improvised bludgeoning weapon to sunder, but you'd effectively be losing all the properties of it. Versatile Unarmed Strike + Aptitude Spiked Chain might work.

Particle_Man
2021-05-07, 06:03 PM
What's your motivation to sunder? Usually it's not really that effective in combat and it deprives the party of loot.

No strong motivation - I just hate waste. If there was some "Substitute feat" for improved sunder like there are substitute feats for Dodge, that might work too.

Gruftzwerg
2021-05-07, 07:12 PM
Look up the Meteor Hammer (?IIRC Dragon Magazine?). It is similar to a Spiked Chain and should be a bludgeoning weapon IIRC.

gijoemike
2021-05-07, 07:25 PM
There are many situations where the party doesn't care about said loot. non-magical weapons, very cheap weapons, improvised weapons, plot items for the bad guys, etc.

Also, with magical weapons they have extra hardness and extra hit points so hitting it HARD means it will not be destroyed but will be broken. A very nice effect for bad guys weapons to have.

Also, it is a feat tax. So we need to eat the feat.